United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 21-02-2020, 12:45 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
What I truly don’t understand is what these fringe types are not getting. Can it be possible that they don’t know they’re underperforming; that they have one foot out the door already? Why not be proactive? Take a chance, and be brave. Force the issue, make runs and try things. Throw the £#%&!ing dice; what have you got to lose at this point?

I see players on their way out, Lingard, Pereira, Dalot and the rest just standing and watching, playing the simplest of passes -usually backwards or sideways - hesitating, as though this is somehow going to get them back in the picture. Can they really not get it?
They don't know how to change things unfortunately. I think you're dealing with footballers who need to be micro managed in order to get the best out of them. Saying 'go out and play' and leaving them to their own devices, they look lost.

It probably doesn't help we seem to play a different system with a different line-up literally every game. I'm not making excuses but how exactly are you going to build a team when you're constantly chopping and changing things as basic as the formation?

But i suppose it just comes down to certain players being swallowed up by the stage and the pressure.

Unread 21-02-2020, 12:51 AM
d_knight

Btw anyone seen Motm vs Chelsea, Eric Bailly?

'They call me Mr. Glass!'

Unread 21-02-2020, 03:59 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Were you expecting a full strength team? The upcoming league games are far more important.
Rotation was needed, but I don't know why it needs to be with players who have proven time and time again that they aren't good enough. The arrival of Bruno showed just how bad Lingard, etc. are. I would prefer to see some youngsters who actually might benefit from the game time.

Was this the worst midfield of recent United teams? So bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I think Garner and Levitt, and Laird in fact, have been struggling with injuries, typically. Need to tempt a buyer for Lingard and Pereira too..
The best way to tempt a buyer would be to not play them. At least then there is a chance a potential buyer could forget how bad they are.

Unread 21-02-2020, 05:32 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
They don't know how to change things unfortunately. I think you're dealing with footballers who need to be micro managed in order to get the best out of them. Saying 'go out and play' and leaving them to their own devices, they look lost.

It probably doesn't help we seem to play a different system with a different line-up literally every game. I'm not making excuses but how exactly are you going to build a team when you're constantly chopping and changing things as basic as the formation?

But i suppose it just comes down to certain players being swallowed up by the stage and the pressure.
Even young players have probably done nothing but play football since they were 5; They must know when they’re affecting a game and when they’re not. Do they not aspire to play like the Ronaldo’s, Messi’s, De Bruyne’s of this world? Do they not look at those players and see that they’re not the best because they stand and watch others play, or play five yard balls backwards out of fear, to shift responsibility. Do they not have any balls ffs? It’s like they’re hoping not to get noticed. Baffling.

Unread 21-02-2020, 06:05 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
Im negative but come on we just beat chelsea away rested players and have a game sunday.

Away goal job done imo. Every game cant be 5-0. Win on sunday and its worked well.

Unread 21-02-2020, 06:22 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Have we not yet reached the point where our coaching staff know exactly what they’re going to get from Lingard and Pereira? And if the answer is no, then why not? It cannot be right that a club of Manchester United’s stature is forced to play these two wastes of a shirt because we have no alternatives. No one from the academy, really? Right now I’d be scouring the world for out of contract players rather than be forced to play these two. It’s disgraceful.

No justification. None. Carrick himself would do better.
The alternative is Chong. Who would you prefer, Chong or Andreas ?

Unread 21-02-2020, 06:33 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Too early for subs?
ffs you dont even pay 3 quid a month

2 positives .. buy dennis for a 10th of what anyone else costs , and brunos 20 mins , bar that freekick that looked like a moment from the football game strike when you pressed the players head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I think Garner and Levitt, and Laird in fact, have been struggling with injuries, typically. Need to tempt a buyer for Lingard and Pereira too..

EL clearly third priority.

The Scottish Player back at weekend?
garner played yesterday v brugge young team scored an absolute belter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Moans when players get injured that they should have been rested more.
Moans when players are rested.

Moans that we're in the Europa League.
Moans that we might make the Champions League.
philidelphia .. bruce springsteen

Unread 21-02-2020, 07:22 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Chong. I know he hasn't shown much but I'd still prefer to see him given opportunities. Andreas isn't going to get any better. We know what his ceiling. Chong might. Same with Gomes.

Unread 21-02-2020, 07:24 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Chong. I know he hasn't shown much but I'd still prefer to see him given opportunities. Andreas isn't going to get any better. We know what his ceiling. Chong might. Same with Gomes.
Tough choice for the manager. Andreas and the Goblin or Chong and Gomes...glad I don't have to choose.

Unread 21-02-2020, 07:29 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

https://www.reddit.com/r/ManchesterUnited/comments/f76lw7/us_united_fans_after_last_nights_11_draw/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Unread 21-02-2020, 07:59 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Tough choice for the manager. Andreas and the Goblin or Chong and Gomes...glad I don't have to choose.
It's not great is it? But I'd like to think the Andreas/Jessie experiment will be over soon. Not sure though, as Ole seems to still think Pereira has something to offer. Have no idea what he is seeing.

Unread 21-02-2020, 08:00 AM
redredemption77

It's often safety first football. The least of the worries yesterday- Matic is an expert at it. His passing stats at full time will be through the roof compared to Fred (two different roles entirely I know) but say compared to a The Scottish Player or dare I say Pogba- who try more forward passes.

Football on the training pitch is very stats heavy e.g. calculating distances run/no of passes made/successful passes/no of times balls lost/amount run per game. Off that the Lingardw and Pereiras must top training as they are all legs and no balls.

The only positive is we can see the difference Fred and Fernandes made and also clearly the shyte is being phased out.

Long story short- it's less for want of trying to get better or effort...more just simply not good enough.

Lingard Periera Lindelof(?)Dalot Shaw(?) . Just not Champions league quality. Enough to match an average Europa team. And that's what we witnessed.

Unread 21-02-2020, 08:18 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
https://www.reddit.com/r/ManchesterUnited/comments/f76lw7/us_united_fans_after_last_nights_11_draw/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Unread 21-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Even young players have probably done nothing but play football since they were 5; They must know when they’re affecting a game and when they’re not. Do they not aspire to play like the Ronaldo’s, Messi’s, De Bruyne’s of this world? Do they not look at those players and see that they’re not the best because they stand and watch others play, or play five yard balls backwards out of fear, to shift responsibility. Do they not have any balls ffs? It’s like they’re hoping not to get noticed. Baffling.
I think you underestimate the bubble they live in now.

I’m not saying players like Lingard don’t know they’re not exactly setting the world alight, But these days footballers are just as likely to blame the manager or the set up all the formation or anything else rather than look inwardly at what they’re doing

Unread 21-02-2020, 12:42 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think you underestimate the bubble they live in now.

I’m not saying players like Lingard don’t know they’re not exactly setting the world alight, But these days footballers are just as likely to blame the manager or the set up all the formation or anything else rather than look inwardly at what they’re doing
Even if you have a weak mentality, you can only hide for so long in front of 70,000 and millions on tv. I obviously don’t speak for all fans, but I could forgive a player breaking their neck to do good things and it just not coming off much easier than this cowardly ‘here, you have it’ attitude.

But that’s on them I suppose. I just can’t believe there are no alternatives to fielding a player you absolutely know won’t play well; and let’s face it, everyone involved should know by now.

Unread 21-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Even if you have a weak mentality, you can only hide for so long in front of 70,000 and millions on tv. I obviously don’t speak for all fans, but I could forgive a player breaking their neck to do good things and it just not coming off much easier than this cowardly ‘here, you have it’ attitude.

But that’s on them I suppose. I just can’t believe there are no alternatives to fielding a player you absolutely know won’t play well; and let’s face it, everyone involved should know by now.
There are no alternatives. Other than playing the players that do play well all the time, but then you're asking them to play three times in 6 days, or if you don't want Pereira or Lingard on the pitch at all, 7 games in 21 days (or whatever the £#%&! it is).

At the moment top four is now probably our best chance for Champions League football with the injuries Spurs and Chelsea have picked up. It is understandable that we rest more important players for a Europa league away game against Brugge when we have a game against Watford in three days time. It's just a bit of a shame that these players are replaced by the like of Periera and Lingard. But we're stuck with that scenario until Summer (and hopefully not a moment longer).

If we were to rest Fred and Bruno, but not play Lingard and Pereira, then we could always just play with 7 at the back. Although then we'd have to play Jones...

Unread 21-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Dr Stranger

The fact Lingard and co play in games where we're resting players rather than our biggest games is progress.

Both will be gone or further marginalised the longer Ole is in the job and once The Scottish Player is back and Pogba is replaced.

Unread 21-02-2020, 01:45 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
The fact Lingard and co play in games where we're resting players rather than our biggest games is progress.

Both will be gone or further marginalised the longer Ole is in the job and once The Scottish Player is back and Pogba is replaced.
This.

if we do somehow get a top class right forward in the shape of a Sancho and are going to play a 4-3-3 then if we've only 3 midfielders, The Scottish Player, Grealish, Bruno and Fred and a decent set of first choices.

Sancho, Chinaman, Rashers, Geeners, Tony Marshall and a returning Sanchez will give us more options than a pissed up derivatives trader looking to sell recklessly.

Unread 21-02-2020, 06:48 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Chong, probably - at least he has had fewer opportunities to utterly underwhelm.

Unread 21-02-2020, 11:09 PM
Dasilvatwins

Chong has been talking to other clubs. No point players £#%&!ers who dont want to be here. Otherwise we are going in circles.

Andreas is shite and ole is looking to fix that issue. Going to wait till the earliest which is the summer. It is far from ideal. But fred and matic are the only 2 CMs we have fit.

You can excuse ole for playing him in an away leg against a poor standard of opponent ( when compared to the prem)