Unread 16-07-2009, 03:57 AM
M21

Thumbs up

that veron looks like he's got a bright future ahead

Unread 16-07-2009, 04:11 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
¡Jajaja! Me impresiona lo rápido q aprendes el castellano. ¿Ya estás casi listo para realizar la peregrinación al gallinero, no?
umm my progress has been painfully slow. Let me see...you're saying you're impressed by how fast I've learned Spanish...I presume you're being sarcastic. The second bit...am I ready to make the pilgrimage to the Monumental? Yes...can't afford to at the moment tho.

Pleased for Seba and the pinchas. Good performance in hostile territory.

(ahem) felicitaciones al la pinchas y Juan Seba Veron. Mariano Andujar tambien, un arquero excelente. Buen seurta en Catania.

Unread 16-07-2009, 05:17 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Pleased for Seba and the pinchas. Good performance in hostile territory.
I'm pleased for Seba too, and they definitely deserve credit for the courage that they showed. Still @#%&!s though.

I think you'd also have to say that Cruzeiro bottled it. Aside from conceding the two slightly sloppy goals after scoring, they also managed to £#%&! up (I think) three excellent opportunities to draw level. And their big name players, chiefly Kleber and Ramires, basically didn't do a thing. Kleber at least had a couple of decent moments and made some clever runs at times, but Ramires really was terrible. Probably the worst performance I've seen from him in a Cruzeiro shirt. I guess his heady was already with Benfica or something.

Perhaps it's only right though, given the very poor standard of their fans' reception for the team. The final of one of the biggest matches in the club's history and the brazucas could only muster something that the likes of Arsenal would be ashamed of

Unread 16-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I'm pleased for Seba too, and they definitely deserve credit for the courage that they showed. Still @#%&!s though.

I think you'd also have to say that Cruzeiro bottled it. Aside from conceding the two slightly sloppy goals after scoring, they also managed to £#%&! up (I think) three excellent opportunities to draw level. And their big name players, chiefly Kleber and Ramires, basically didn't do a thing. Kleber at least had a couple of decent moments and made some clever runs at times, but Ramires really was terrible. Probably the worst performance I've seen from him in a Cruzeiro shirt. I guess his heady was already with Benfica or something.

Perhaps it's only right though, given the very poor standard of their fans' reception for the team. The final of one of the biggest matches in the club's history and the brazucas could only muster something that the likes of Arsenal would be ashamed of
They looked nervous, afraid to make mistakes, which of course leads to mistakes. I didn't see the reception, got in a few minutes late. Brazilian fans usually do it up right on the big occasion, so that's disappointing to hear. I wonder if they were screened for flares/fireworks at the gate? Surely they'd have seen the pincha hinchas last week and would have wanted to match them. If not, then they got what they deserved.

Unread 16-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Serenity Now

I'm exaggerating a bit, but I was surprised by the poor standard. Oh well. Certainly the best team of the competition won in the end, and they were captained by the best player. Well done Seba. Wonder what all those Boca fans who called Mauro Boselli a pecho frío are thinking now too!

Unread 16-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

i was expecting a much slower game than that tbh. was impressed with some of the direct attacking and some of the brilliant last ditch defending on both sides. finishing was £#%&! from est. but...

what was the story with the veron elbow early doors? was it revenge? couldn't follow the spanish commentary

Unread 17-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
what was the story with the veron elbow early doors? was it revenge? couldn't follow the spanish commentary
Yep. Ramires cut Veron's face open with an elbow in the first leg, so Seba decided to take matters into his own hands in the return.

Unread 17-07-2009, 08:08 AM
MUFC One Love

It's a shame they don't show it on TV over here, or show any games from the Brazilian and Spanish leagues. I use to love watching the highlights on Goalissmo on saturday mornings last year.

Just reading the latest World Soccer Magazine, just read the Argentinaian national team article, Maradona really does seem like he doesn't have a clue tbh. The article always says in Argentina the media/press won't question him? 'Cos they're scared they won't get the exclusives he gives etc.

The article also mentions Higuian and how Maradona refuses to pick him, comparing it to when Scolari wouldn't pick Romario, but how in Brazil they started campaigns to get Romario selected and even the president got involved. It says in Argentina nobody really brings it up about Higuian 'cos it's Maradona. Surely Higuian should be getting selected, he was superb for Madrid last season. Does anyone know if he is available this summer?

Unread 17-07-2009, 01:24 PM
S/Side.Red

One of Higuain's problems, and for that matter lots of Argentine strikers, is that Maradona is picking Tevez (who's almost like a son) and Aguero (who by law is now a son) along with Messi. It seems his first choice as the goalscorer off the bench is Diego Milito, which is fair enough. Then there's Lisandro Lopez and Lavezzi. Maybe Higuain deserves a shot, but personally I don't think he's any better than those mentioned. It's hardly an outrage he's not being given a call-up, imo. From what I've seen, the big issue could be more about his loyalty to Tevez.

Unread 17-07-2009, 01:58 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
One of Higuain's problems, and for that matter lots of Argentine strikers, is that Maradona is picking Tevez (who's almost like a son) and Aguero (who by law is now a son) along with Messi. It seems his first choice as the goalscorer off the bench is Diego Milito, which is fair enough. Then there's Lisandro Lopez and Lavezzi. Maybe Higuain deserves a shot, but personally I don't think he's any better than those mentioned. It's hardly an outrage he's not being given a call-up, imo. From what I've seen, the big issue could be more about his loyalty to Tevez.
Tevez is usually poor for Argentina when I see him and his record isn't that great for them is it?

Unread 17-07-2009, 02:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Tevez is usually poor for Argentina when I see him and his record isn't that great for them is it?
Yeah, I think the consensus is that he's been poor for them for a while. Getting sent off twice (I think within three games or something) in the qualifiers doesnt help, either. He and Maradona are very close, but I'd guess there will be a growing pressure on him to try someone else before long, if there isn't already.
Closed Thread