United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 07-06-2020, 07:13 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Particularly like the headlines that Madrid have agreed a deal worth £49m, but Woodward is looking to hijack this with a £36m bid.
Well that is totally believable at least.

Unread 08-06-2020, 05:54 AM
windy waffles

Edwin Van Der Sar has confirmed we are interested in him.

Unread 08-06-2020, 09:31 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Edwin Van Der Sar has confirmed we are interested in him.
Jeez I didn’t even know he was still playing.

Unread 08-06-2020, 01:19 PM
Neo

Football

Not sure how likely it is, but I read over the weekend that United are prepared to let Daniel James go. Seems premature if we do, IMO. Whilst he tailed off towards the latter half of the season, I still think there's a decent United player there. Works his balls off, great attitude, blistering pace, and still so young.

However, if we're in for Van De Beek, as well as Sancho, you'd wonder where the room is for James. Van De Beek would hopefully mean the end of Lingard and Pereira though, which would be most welcome.

Still not 100% sure which system Ole is going for, btw. I trust him completely, as his signings have been exemplary, but that midfield and attack needs a consistent system to fit around. Pogba, Bruno and Rashford have to be automatic starters, but not sure on the remaining 3 positions...

Unread 08-06-2020, 01:21 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Not sure how likely it is, but I read over the weekend that United are prepared to let Daniel James go. Seems premature if we do, IMO. Whilst he tailed off towards the latter half of the season, I still think there's a decent United player there. Works his balls off, great attitude, blistering pace, and still so young.

However, if we're in for Van De Beek, as well as Sancho, you'd wonder where the room is for James. Van De Beek would hopefully mean the end of Lingard and Pereira though, which would be most welcome.

Still not 100% sure which system Ole is going for, btw. I trust him completely, as his signings have been exemplary, but that midfield and attack needs a consistent system to fit around. Pogba, Bruno and Rashford have to be automatic starters, but not sure on the remaining 3 positions...
thinking about this I reckon he'll start with Rashford and Martial almost as a traditional 2? so a modified 4-4-2 perhaps... although he went with 3/5 at the back plenty of times last season that may have been due to a lack of personnel

hate predicting lineups but maybe..

DDG
AWB
Maguire
Linda/Bailly
Shaw/Williams
Matic
Fred/Mctom
VDB?
Bruno
Pog
Tony
Rashers

that's extremely narrow though with a diamond midfield.

I have no idea how pogba and Bruno will fit together, let alone throwing in VDB if that happens

Unread 08-06-2020, 01:25 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

would not be in favour of letting him go but we can't just go splashing money about without recouping some in turn.

Unread 08-06-2020, 01:27 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
thinking about this I reckon he'll start with Rashford and Martial almost as a traditional 2? so a modified 4-4-2 perhaps... although he went with 3/5 at the back plenty of times last season that may have been due to a lack of personnel

DDG
AWB
Maguire
Linda/Bailly
Shaw/Williams
Matic
Fred/Mctom
VDB?
Bruno
Pog
Tony
Rashers

I have no idea how pogba and Bruno will fit together, let alone throwing in VDB if that happens
Don’t think we’ll get away with playing 12 tbh

Unread 08-06-2020, 01:28 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bigbollox
Don’t think we’ll get away with playing 12 tbh
I thought that was one of the new rules tbh along with 5 subs, neutral venues and no fans

Unread 08-06-2020, 01:29 PM
Vedder

Unread 08-06-2020, 01:35 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
That's absolute %@#$&!s. No way madrid aren't signing anyone.

Madrid obviously want Ajax to lower the price, our name is yet again dropped in to get Madrid to cough up...

Now Madrid have put all the pressure back on the player who apparently already agreed to go there.

Unread 08-06-2020, 01:38 PM
Jethro

VDS ain't going to do a dirty on us. All legit imo.

Unread 08-06-2020, 01:41 PM
Neo

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley

DDG
AWB
Maguire
Linda/Bailly
Shaw/Williams
Matic
Fred/Mctom
VDB?
Bruno
Pog
Tony
Rashers

That's similar to how I see it. I think Ole wants Bruno as the central attacking midfielder, effectively playing a number 10 role, and that would allow Pogba to play on the left of a midfield 3 or diamond, which was his role at Juventus.

I can see it working really well, but the question is who plays the holding role? In a 4-2-3-1 I have liked the Fred and The Scottish Player partnership, but Pogba could also play there against the dross at home where we dominate the ball and largely play in the opposition half. No idea who I'd pick as the sole holding midfielder in a diamond though; Matic is well past his best, The Scottish Player seems better as a box-to-box power player, and Fred is a bit erratic to hold such a tactically important position.

However, a diamond does seem the best option considering we need to find a system that means Martial and Greenwood aren't permanent substitutes. A diamond midfield, with 2 strikers up front, will mean plenty of games and rotation between Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, but 1 up front probably mens 2 unhappy strikers who aren't playing enough..

Unread 08-06-2020, 01:54 PM
tatty

I’d love it if VdB signed but you’d have to think we were 2nd choice (at best) and we’ve not seemed to have too much success in that scenario.

Unread 08-06-2020, 01:57 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
That's similar to how I see it. I think Ole wants Bruno as the central attacking midfielder, effectively playing a number 10 role, and that would allow Pogba to play on the left of a midfield 3 or diamond, which was his role at Juventus.

I can see it working really well, but the question is who plays the holding role? In a 4-2-3-1 I have liked the Fred and The Scottish Player partnership, but Pogba could also play there against the dross at home where we dominate the ball and largely play in the opposition half. No idea who I'd pick as the sole holding midfielder in a diamond though; Matic is well past his best, The Scottish Player seems better as a box-to-box power player, and Fred is a bit erratic to hold such a tactically important position.

However, a diamond does seem the best option considering we need to find a system that means Martial and Greenwood aren't permanent substitutes. A diamond midfield, with 2 strikers up front, will mean plenty of games and rotation between Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, but 1 up front probably mens 2 unhappy strikers who aren't playing enough..
I don't think you have to worry about Greenwood in this scenario.

Unread 08-06-2020, 05:45 PM
Coracao

Our full backs are nowhere near good enough to play with a diamond. One of the reasons we struggle to break teams down is we lack any genuine width. Playing a diamond makes that situation even worse. A signing such as Sancho, would alleviate this somewhat.

Unread 08-06-2020, 08:22 PM
Marvel7

All of Rashfords good form last season came playing on the left with Martial through the centre, dont see any reason why that would change. We desperately need a player for the right side and that's the front 3 looking good, backed up by James, Greenwood and Ighalo. Fernandes has the spot behind the striker, probably backed up by Mata. This all hints toward a 4-2-3-1. That's where the questions really start. Can Pogba play in a two? Does Ole want him to? Personally I think we need to sign a proper defensive midfielder who can protect the defense against the better teams and dictate play against the teams that sit back (Carrick mk11). Then it's a straight fight between The Scottish Player and Fred for plays alongside him, backed up by whichever one loses the fight and Matic.

Unread 08-06-2020, 08:25 PM
dunk

I’d pay no attention. It’s full on silly season..

Unread 08-06-2020, 08:34 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

https://twitter.com/manunitedzone_/s...147774977?s=21

Unread 08-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

https://twitter.com/manunitedzone_/s...147774977?s=21
They think we haven't been paying attention the worldwide financial catastrophe obviously.

As if anyone is going to be spending 100+mil this transfer window.

Unread 08-06-2020, 08:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
They think we haven't been paying attention the worldwide financial catastrophe obviously.

As if anyone is going to be spending 100+mil this transfer window.
Woodward has even said there won’t be any huge signings.