United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Sparky***

Default Marco Van Basten's wacky football ideas

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...d-yellow-cards

No offside, four quarters, dribble-style penalty shootouts and orange cards.

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:03 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...d-yellow-cards

No offside, four quarters, dribble-style penalty shootouts and orange cards.
must have got hold of a copy of 1970s u.s. shoot!

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:05 PM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:
Van Basten says abolishing the offside rule would mean an end to games which "resemble handball where nine players, plus the goalkeeper, pack the penalty area and [the defence] is like a wall".
I don't understand the logic here. If you couldn't play an offside trap you would surely need to leave players deep in defense? and if there is a huge difference in quality between the teams then wouldn't the defensive side just start with players deep in defense?

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Denis Irwell

Wouldn't mind offside abolished. Fail to see what it achieves in modern football, apart from a load of shit decisions.

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:09 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Wouldn't mind offside abolished. Fail to see what it achieves in modern football, apart from a load of shit decisions.
Stops team employing goal hangers and stretching the pitch creating masses of space making it an unwatchable game of players running like £#%&! and little else. Like watching Liverpool.

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Stops team employing goal hangers and stretching the pitch creating masses of space making it an unwatchable game of players running like £#%&! and little else. Like watching Liverpool.
Or netball.

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Denis Irwell

Defenders take care of goal hangers

Thought we'd moved on from primary school football

Opens the game up instead of playing in a zone 20 yards either side of the halfway line

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:14 PM
believe

Abolishing the offside rule would make the game twice as defensive Considering most attacking players are twice as quick as defenders (Keith Curle aside) no team would take the risk of leaving an attacked the space to ricin to from an offside position.

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Lok

The only wacky rule change I've heard that I actually like is 2pts for a score draw.

I don't understand why people want to change the game so much.

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Sizlack

Abolish offside It would then be a totally different game with totally different tactics it would no longer be football.

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
The only wacky rule change I've heard that I actually like is 2pts for a score draw.

I don't understand why people want to change the game so much.
Because Americans don't like it that much and they MUST be catered to.

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Sapien

Interesting to note that his famous volleyed goal would not have stood under his proposed rule changes.

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Interesting to note that his famous volleyed goal would not have stood under his proposed rule changes.

Ive always liked the hockey style 'penalties' but the timing would be a nightmare, maybe less so now we have goal line tech?

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack

Ive always liked the hockey style 'penalties' but the timing would be a nightmare, maybe less so now we have goal line tech?
They did it in the MLS when it first started.

They ditched it pretty quickly.

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:42 PM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
They did it in the MLS when it first started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRITqS6WEn0

They ditched it pretty quickly.
That is such a load of shit

Unread 19-01-2017, 01:45 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Abolish offside It would then be a totally different game with totally different tactics it would no longer be football.
Only upside I can see is that it would stop women trying to tag along to watch the game in the pub because they know the offside rule.

Unread 19-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Zorg

Imo they should abolish matches altogether and decide the winner based on who has the most official commercial partbers.

Unread 19-01-2017, 02:05 PM
believe

Champ21ons

Unread 19-01-2017, 02:06 PM
MrBishi

Apocryphal tale I know, but I'm sure experimental games have been played without offside, and they just descend into players bunching around each goal and hoofing it back and forth. Even in playground footy we had a no-goal-hanging rule

Unread 19-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Tumescent Throb

abolish offsides at FK's in the final 3rd

send players off for hauling players back to stop a breakaway (so herrera v the vermin)

stop GKs passing back to themselves and have it that once they use a foot they can't use a hand except on actual saves (encourages closing down and stops time-wasting).

ban FKs for players who stop to initiate contact and then dive over ie defenders

take time-keeping out of the referees authority and use the stadium clock
Closed Thread