United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 21-10-2021, 05:26 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Yep, I think people are concentrating on the few negatives and not the overwhelming positives. He ran the show last night, he was involved in practically everything doing the job of two or three men. Just look at the highlights and see how much he was involved

First Half

19 mins - First Fred chance - Plays in Ronaldo, gets into the box, flicks the cross on over the defender to Fred who hits it straight at the keeper

41 mins - Second Rashford Chance - Picks the ball up at right back and plays a ball over the top to Rashford that should have been put away

43 mins - Second Fred chance - Plays a ball round the corner to put Fred in, who should have scored

45 Mins - 3rd Rashford chance - Again picks the ball up in the righ back position and plays a perfect ball in behind which Rashford should have scored

Should have had at least three assists before half time

Second Half:

47 mins - Ronaldo chance - Plays through Ronaldo who forces a save from the keeper

52 mins - Rashford Goal Put Rashford through with a beautiful ball round the corner

63 mins - Second Ronaldo chance - Slides Ronaldo in behind who forces a decent save from the keeper

74 mins - Maguire Goal - Swings in the ball that finds its way to Maguire to sweep home

79 mins - His chance - He gets on the end of Ronaldo's ball and forces a save from the keeper

80 mins - Ronaldo winner - f***s up the first ball in, but watch the amount of space their defenders give Shaw because they're shitting themselves thinking about covering Bruno

I'd rather have him in the team giving the odd ball away while being directly involved in 6 or 7 clear cut chances. The lads f***ing incredible.

It's a fair point. Sounds like an easy excuse but it's hard to come up with many names of players that featured for England in the summer playing as well or better than they did last season.

God knows where we’d be without him. Doubt he’ll reach last season's goals stats but his overall influence and innovation is irreplaceable.

Wasn’t able to watch live (thankfully) but after the event, objectively, without the angst, we weren’t bad in the first half. Just £#%&!ing sloppy at both ends. Even Fred was alright.

We just don’t do measured football. Until we get the mf sorted, if we can minimise brainfarts and play with a bit of tempo, we’ll win a lot more than we lose and be better to watch.

Unread 21-10-2021, 07:23 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
It's truly disgraceful if he's still here in may.

Did Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho sign up just to finish top 4 and win nothing?
School finished early

Unread 21-10-2021, 07:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Come to think of it - is anyone who played for England at the Euros actually playing well at the moment?

Foden? Can’t think of any others. They’re probably all burned out.
Just like agonisingly falling short in the Europa was a downer for us, not winning that competition has likely had an effect on England players too.

Unread 21-10-2021, 07:55 PM
Bunker Buster

Euros hangover.....

It's November almost...

Unread 21-10-2021, 08:00 PM
Drexl

Just watched second half again

Robbie savage at the end: “three words: viva ronaldo, good night!”

Unread 21-10-2021, 08:05 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl

That's brilliant

Unread 21-10-2021, 08:48 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

I like that he’s become a proper cheerleader for us on these BT games. Refreshing change from Scholes whining and Gary Neville overcompensating.

He’s an idiot, but he’s OUR idiot.

Unread 21-10-2021, 09:13 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I like that he’s become a proper cheerleader for us on these BT games. Refreshing change from Scholes whining and Gary Neville overcompensating.

He’s an idiot, but he’s OUR idiot.
He’s got to be, his lad is on the books and training with the first team

Unread 21-10-2021, 09:25 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He’s got to be, his lad is on the books and training with the first team
Poor kid.

Unread 21-10-2021, 10:08 PM
avocado

Quote:

Would argue on his behalf if he said “three words” (“goodnight” may just be one) but he actually said “two words”. But I don’t care. He seemed genuiinely excited. Doesn’t feel the need to change his opinion (even if sometimes daft) to suit his audience. Unlike some.

Unread 21-10-2021, 11:15 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Poor kid.

Because of who his dad is, or because he is training with United?

Unread 21-10-2021, 11:21 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Euros hangover.....

It's November almost...
13 months on and Martial's still recovering from two weeks out. These things take time.

Unread 21-10-2021, 11:31 PM
goldfinger II

There can't be many managers who would, under that much pressure and with a team low on confidence (and perhaps fitness), set their team up to play in such an attacking way, never mind persist with it after going 2 down and getting booed [bood?] off by his own supporters at HT.

That took balls. £#%&!ing great to see it, especially after what happened in Gdansk.

Hope to £#%&! we play more defensively on Sunday, mind.

Unread 21-10-2021, 11:38 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
There can't be many managers who would, under that much pressure and with a team low on confidence (and perhaps fitness), set their team up to play in such an attacking way, never mind persist with it after going 2 down and getting booed [bood?] off by his own supporters at HT.

That took balls. £#%&!ing great to see it, especially after what happened in Gdansk.

Hope to £#%&! we play more defensively on Sunday, mind.
Were you expecting him go more defensive at 0-2 down

Unread 21-10-2021, 11:44 PM
goldfinger II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Were you expecting him go more defensive at 0-2 down
No, but I think plenty would have shit themselves and reverted to a more defensive approach and looked to "nick one" to get back into it.

Unread 21-10-2021, 11:55 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
No, but I think plenty would have shit themselves and reverted to a more defensive approach and looked to "nick one" to get back into it.
Literally can’t think of a single manager who would do that in that situation

Unread 22-10-2021, 12:26 AM
Baron

How do you honestly start a game without Pogba & Sancho on the pitch? He clearly prioritised Sancho above a central midfielder which is the wrong decision this summer. The club should have taken that decision, the days of one man dictating everything are gone. Klopp & Pep don’t ask for one player. They (football directors) determine where the side needs upgrading, sometimes with disgustingly unemotional or aware statistical decisions, other times financially prudent (lol) and others based on simply whether you’re any good (hi Memphis).

The club isn’t run well enough to give Ole a chance this early. Comparing apples to apples when looking at Klopp & Pep vs Ole is moot. However, it doesn’t absolve him of the things he can control. And, for me, here is the paradox - I think he’s doing well in the clubs circumstances but I think he’s falling in short of how good you need to be nowadays in managing at the sharpest level in world football - to win the PL & CL regularly. Nope. Might and probably well may win a cup this year but will we win either of those two titles this club strives for with style? Can’t say I think so. My honest assessment is we should pop him upstairs to unilaterally support his successor because if we gave him the purse strings and the support of the manager he’d do a £#%&! load better than what he’s received in his tenure.

Ole can’t transcend our issues, I think that’s basically what I’m saying. Someone else truly special is required. Couldn’t tell you who that is by the way. Klopp & Pep are at our main rivals. Which tells you just how £#%&!ing terrible our club has been at recruiting the right man for the job since Fergie.

Unread 22-10-2021, 02:32 AM
Denis Irwell

So, you are privy to the workings of transfer deals and know that Ole demanded the purchase of Sancho, at the expense of a midfielder, from the suits and not the other way around?
On the one hand, Ole is a yes man, who has little input and does as he is told, yet he decided we didn’t need a midfielder and needed two major forward signings to reinforce our marketing profile in an area already bloated with options ?

I think you answered your own question.

Unread 23-10-2021, 04:59 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Literally can’t think of a single manager who would do that in that situation

Neither.

Lets come back, discreetly....

Unread 23-10-2021, 11:00 AM
Part 36 Offer

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
How do you honestly start a game without Pogba & Sancho on the pitch? He clearly prioritised Sancho above a central midfielder which is the wrong decision this summer. The club should have taken that decision, the days of one man dictating everything are gone. Klopp & Pep don’t ask for one player. They (football directors) determine where the side needs upgrading, sometimes with disgustingly unemotional or aware statistical decisions, other times financially prudent (lol) and others based on simply whether you’re any good (hi Memphis).

The club isn’t run well enough to give Ole a chance this early. Comparing apples to apples when looking at Klopp & Pep vs Ole is moot. However, it doesn’t absolve him of the things he can control. And, for me, here is the paradox - I think he’s doing well in the clubs circumstances but I think he’s falling in short of how good you need to be nowadays in managing at the sharpest level in world football - to win the PL & CL regularly. Nope. Might and probably well may win a cup this year but will we win either of those two titles this club strives for with style? Can’t say I think so. My honest assessment is we should pop him upstairs to unilaterally support his successor because if we gave him the purse strings and the support of the manager he’d do a f*** load better than what he’s received in his tenure.

Ole can’t transcend our issues, I think that’s basically what I’m saying. Someone else truly special is required. Couldn’t tell you who that is by the way. Klopp & Pep are at our main rivals. Which tells you just how f***ing terrible our club has been at recruiting the right man for the job since Fergie.
Arse seen pal