United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-05-2021, 10:28 AM
Dr Stranger

He’s never going to be a Rio type of ‘classy’ defender, but he doesn’t need to be. Being a bit slow didn’t stop the likes of Steve Bruce, Tony Adams being great captains and players for their team. His influence on this team is clear and we’ll be £#%&!ed without him if he’s out for a while.

Unread 10-05-2021, 10:31 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
He’s probably been our most consistent performer all season tbf

2nd in line for our player of season too imo.

His importance to the team was shown yesterday after he went off and we had we went to pieces for a spell.

The same clueless poster that wrote Cavani and Greenwood off mid way through the season and constantly defended Martial while excusing his poor performances in March because he was suspended for two games in September

I'm growing weary of your pathetic attempts to get a rise.

Quotes writing Greenwood off or £#%&! off.

Maguire, to his credit, has improved as this season has gone on and has been very good, mainly, since Christmas, deffo top 5 players this season.

Shaw
Bruno
Rashford
Pogba
Maguire

I'd probably stick AWB in there too. The lack of actual midfelders in there speaks volumes imo.

Unread 10-05-2021, 11:55 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Maguire, to his credit, has improved as this season has gone on and has been very good, mainly, since Christmas, deffo top 5 players this season.

Shaw
Bruno
Rashford
Pogba
Maguire

I'd probably stick AWB in there too. The lack of actual midfelders in there speaks volumes imo.

His ability to lose a man at the back stick & never do anything of use going forward are not indicative of a player doing well for us. The guy has all the composure & comfort on the ball like he's been asked to do algebra whilst roller-skating.

Agree with the rest. Shawberto has been magnificent, only 25 as well. Let's hope AWB can progress as much in the next 18 months - could really do with some competition for his position. Seems to have really helped concentrate Shaw into a beast (that & @#%&!y £#%&!ing off).

Any word on Maguire's injury?

Unread 10-05-2021, 12:08 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron

His ability to lose a man at the back stick & never do anything of use going forward are not indicative of a player doing well for us. The guy has all the composure & comfort on the ball like he's been asked to do algebra whilst roller-skating.

Agree with the rest. Shawberto has been magnificent, only 25 as well. Let's hope AWB can progress as much in the next 18 months - could really do with some competition for his position. Seems to have really helped concentrate Shaw into a beast (that & @#%&!y £#%&!ing off).

Any word on Maguire's injury?
He's had no more ropey moments than the rest tbh and has played just about every minute of the season and improved as the seasons gone on.

Unread 10-05-2021, 12:16 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
He’s probably been our most consistent performer all season tbf
well, yeah. consistently ok, though. not consistently brilliant.

where are the £#%&!ing goals?

Unread 10-05-2021, 12:17 PM
andyroo

Agree that AWB has got better and more reliable through the season, though he's still capable of the odd brainfart I can't remember too many goals that were on him since Leipzig. But I'd have Cavani ahead of him on a list of our players of the season.

Shaw and Bruno top two pick themselves.

Unread 10-05-2021, 12:19 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Agree that AWB has got better and more reliable through the season, though he's still capable of the odd brainfart I can't remember too many goals that were on him since Leipzig. But I'd have Cavani ahead of him on a list of our players of the season.

Shaw and Bruno top two pick themselves.
He's 22/23 he's going to have brainfarts. I was a bit concerned back end of last season and the beginning of this, but again he's getting better all the time and can be relied on as a solid 7/10 every game with a few 8's thrown in, it's invaluable and he'll only get better.

Cavani would be up there for me had he not been MIA for the first half of the season, not his fault technically, but injured/suspended for much of the time before Christmas, missed that tough period after Christmas as well. Would be interesting to see how we'd have fared if he'd have rocked up in August fighting fit and been available all season..

Unread 10-05-2021, 12:29 PM
Baron

Quote:
He's 22/23 he's going to have brainfarts. I was a bit concerned back end of last season and the beginning of this, but again he's getting better all the time and can be relied on as a solid 7/10 every game with a few 8's thrown in, it's invaluable and he'll only get better.
It would make me a lot happier if he could look like a professional footballer though. He makes Smalling look like Pirlo in possession.

If he can work out how to cross it properly & overlap, that's a decent start. Some serious deficiencies in his game for a modern fullback, he's a bit of a throwback in that regard, but he's got next season to really kick on in a side that hopefully gets a decent defensive midfielder to help cover. Maybe even a pacey centre back that can also cover. Leaving gaps & being exposed shows him to lack a bit of adventure but could also be by design if Shaw has license to power on down the left.

I'm undecided on him being the first pick long term, but he needs to pick it up. Half hope he doesn't get in the England squad & gets the summer off & the challenge to get more to his game.

Unread 10-05-2021, 12:35 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Some serious deficiencies in his game for a modern fullback, he's a bit of a throwback in that regard....
to when, ffs?

I don't remember us ever having a fullback so shit going forward. the only thing that would have helped him going back in time is that we used to play with wingers.

Unread 10-05-2021, 12:41 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
to when, ffs?

I don't remember us ever having a fullback so shit going forward. the only thing that would have helped him going back in time is that we used to play with wingers.
I was trying to be kind tbh. He is £#%&! at delivering anything productive & not tripping over his own feet.

Unread 10-05-2021, 12:43 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
to when, ffs?

Big Toneh (once he started playing fullback)?

Actually he was fine at getting forward. It was actually doing anything once he got there that it was a problem. He used to just grind to a halt and stand there flicking at the ball with his foot rather than make a decision. Infuriating.

Unread 10-05-2021, 01:06 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
to when, ffs?

Paul Parker

Unread 10-05-2021, 01:09 PM
shenwen

AWB needs to work on his crossing - a lot. But his passing is pretty good. Example: that assist yesterday. His defensive attributes are there - goal stopping tackle yesterday a as well. Just keep him from back post headers. He's got so much room to improve as well. I'm thinking in a year to 18 months, someone will be pulling up the AWB haters similar to how they have the past few days with Cavani.

Unread 10-05-2021, 01:38 PM
guerreiro

Honestly reckon AWB gets too much grief about his forward play, he’s effective, makes good runs and pretty sure has a few assists. He just looks very ungainly

Unread 10-05-2021, 01:39 PM
utd99

Quote:

Shaw
Bruno
Rashford
Pogba
Maguire

You have Rashford in the running for player of the season?

Unread 10-05-2021, 01:40 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
You have Rashford in the running for player of the season?
Played injured for the bulk of it while still making and scoring goals and being a threat? Yes.

Unread 10-05-2021, 01:45 PM
utd99

Quote:
Played injured for the bulk of it while still making and scoring goals and being a threat? Yes.
I don’t see that at all. He’s had great moments — his cross for Cavani was superb — but great moments don’t make great games. Far, far too often he’s been ineffective and anonymous. But hey, it’s a game of opinions I suppose.

Unread 10-05-2021, 01:48 PM
silv

anyone know if Maguire is injured?

Unread 10-05-2021, 01:50 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I don’t see that at all. He’s had great moments — his cross for Cavani was superb — but great moments don’t make great games. Far, far too often he’s been ineffective and anonymous. But hey, it’s a game of opinions I suppose.
It's been tough for our forward line to play in anything but fits and starts all season tbh. He's a constant threat, even on one leg.

Unread 10-05-2021, 01:52 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
anyone know if Maguire is injured?
his neck is due a rest tbf
Closed Thread