United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink
A shame fergie and Charlton were both pro-Moyes.

At this point we need a lot more than a change of manager. The total reset button needs to be hit, the entire culture and structure of the club needs to be altered. Chances of that happening any time soon with Woody and crew at the reigns are slim to none. Jose is a mess of a human being but he's a symptom rather than the root of the problem.
That's the root of our problems

We just haven't moved on and are basically a 90s club in 2018

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by System Error
Picked Moyes though
A fair point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
The trouble with that theory is the manager we did get.

I never wanted either but at that time it wasn't so blatantly obvious that Mourinho was finished.
Hindsight etc but that awful spell at Chelsea should have finished any chance of him going to United. Weird how it was overlooked and explained away.

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink
A shame fergie and Charlton were both pro-Moyes.

At this point we need a lot more than a change of manager. The total reset button needs to be hit, the entire culture and structure of the club needs to be altered. Chances of that happening any time soon with Woody and crew at the reigns are slim to none. Jose is a mess of a human being but he's a symptom rather than the root of the problem.
True, but the only thing changing any time soon is the manager.

If we can get someone - even by accident - that alligns a little more with the values of the club, maybe that could spread a little.

I don't think getting a manager with a bit of verve and oomph isn't as difficult as we're making out. We seem to have accepted that, because three managers have failed, that's its a poisoned chalice.

We could have just made three bad choices.

Moyes was never qualified, but he also wasn't a positive style or personality. LVG and Jose are winners, but on the downturn of their career.

I want a young, positive manager with something to prove. We haven't tried that yet.

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:23 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Honestly think there is an absolute shoeing on the cards for us in the not too distant future. Could be tonight, could be Liverpool, but there's deffo one on the horizon Thought it was going to be Saturday at 2-0 after 19 minutes..
We got an absolute shoeing against the berts, and nothing changed...

Amazing how that one got heyselled, they pissed on us from a great hight

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's a shame that the one manager who didn't get the loyalty was the one who warranted it
you're overlooking the fact that the football was utter turd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou

I don't think it has, it's just there have been worst performances against worst sides recently. City just had an air of inevitability about it tbh

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
True, but the only thing changing any time soon is the manager.

If we can get someone - even by accident - that alligns a little more with the values of the club, maybe that could spread a little.

I don't think getting a manager with a bit of verve and oomph isn't as difficult as we're making out. We seem to have accepted that, because three managers have failed, that's its a poisoned chalice.

We could have just made three bad choices.

Moyes was never qualified, but he also wasn't a positive style or personality. LVG and Jose are winners, but on the downturn of their career.

I want a young, positive manager with something to prove. We haven't tried that yet.

most on here would agree with that but with the gimps just wanting to hit top 4 to keep the sponsors happy we cant build long term and any right minded up and coming young manager would go nowhere a united job run via spreadsheet

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:33 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
I don't think it has, it's just there have been worst performances against worst sides recently. City just had an air of inevitability about it tbh
I'm not trying to be funny -- and no offence meant -- but it was one of the worst performances by a Man Utd team I can remember. Cowardly tactics incompetently executed. If we as fans had a pair of balls between us we would have gone to Carrington and burned the whole £#%&!ing place down, that's what the Italians would do...

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:45 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
A fair point.

Hindsight etc but that awful spell at Chelsea should have finished any chance of him going to United. Weird how it was overlooked and explained away.
I seem to remember you raising this point at the time and the usual suspects howling you down...

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Al
most on here would agree with that but with the gimps just wanting to hit top 4 to keep the sponsors happy we cant build long term and any right minded up and coming young manager would go nowhere a united job run via spreadsheet
I hope there's an overlap. We need to be successful to fill their pockets.

We aren't making top four this season. That's clear now. They will sack him towards the end of the season, so we need to make a move one way or another.

Despite all our issues. We're still a draw. I think an up and coming young manager is more likely to come than a shit old one.

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:50 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
We got an absolute shoeing against the berts, and nothing changed...

I meant in scoreline terms. 3-1 flattered us greatly and was brushed under the carpet as the gap wasn't greater.

Can see a 4 or 5 goal smashing occurring..

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Red Al

Quote:

We aren't making top four this season. That's clear now. They will sack him towards the end of the season, so we need to make a move one way or another.

Despite all our issues. We're still a draw.I think an up and coming young manager is more likely to come than a shit old one.
we attract both players and managers of that category

Unread 05-12-2018, 01:53 PM
dunk

Quote:

Despite all our issues. We're still a draw. I think an up and coming young manager is more likely to come than a shit old one.
Getting to the point now where it's a no-lose for a young up and comer. IF they fail, it's a poisoned chalice, if they succeed, the World is their oyster..

Unread 05-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Zorg

Quote:
I seem to remember you raising this point at the time and the usual suspects howling you down...
https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=133

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=231

Unread 05-12-2018, 02:02 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Getting to the point now where it's a no-lose for a young up and comer. IF they fail, it's a poisoned chalice, if they succeed, the World is their oyster..
You still just know we'd even get that wrong. It'll be an ex player with no experience at all, rather than someone who's ticking all the boxes and champing at the bit for a chance at our level.

Of course there were two managers that ticked every box, and they're at our two biggest rivals

Unread 05-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
You still just know we'd even get that wrong. It'll be an ex player with no experience at all, rather than someone who's ticking all the boxes and champing at the bit for a chance at our level.

Of course there were two managers that ticked every box, and they're at our two biggest rivals
You only need to look at Everton. Same number of points as us, just lost a mersey derby in the 97th minute, but their fans are optimistic. That was the most expansive they've played at Anfield in years. They were confident, organised and had a go when they had the chance. They have some cultured and interesting players and Silva is steadily starting to have an effect there now.

He's moving them away from the likes of Tosan and Rooney up front. Richarlison has been great for them and the likes of Gomes and Bernard are good on the ball.

They're optimistic in terms of where they're going, despite having a long way to go.

Must be nice.

Unread 05-12-2018, 02:50 PM
dunk

Bournemouth just lost 4 on the spin and are above us in the table We aren't the benchmark of progress for anyone anymore

Unread 05-12-2018, 02:51 PM
andyroo

Quote:
You only need to look at Everton. Same number of points as us, just lost a mersey derby in the 97th minute, but their fans are optimistic. That was the most expansive they've played at Anfield in years. They were confident, organised and had a go when they had the chance. They have some cultured and interesting players and Silva is steadily starting to have an effect there now.

He's moving them away from the likes of Tosan and Rooney up front. Richarlison has been great for them and the likes of Gomes and Bernard are good on the ball.

They're optimistic in terms of where they're going, despite having a long way to go.

Must be nice.
Tin hat but same applied to them when Moyes was destroying us. It didn't last. Anyway grumpy%@#$&!s wants us to believe it's only possible because of what they spent last summer, while Spurs and Bournemouth are leaving us for dead.

Don't look at Everton. Look at United.

Unread 05-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Tin hat but same applied to them when Moyes was destroying us. It didn't last. Anyway grumpy%@#$&!s wants us to believe it's only possible because of what they spent last summer, while Spurs and Bournemouth are leaving us for dead.

Don't look at Everton. Look at United.
I think Moyes was far more defensive. His Everton started playing some nice stuff after about ten years. Not six months.

Looking at other teams isn't to concern ourselves with their business, but to use them as examples of what can be done.

Arsenal are another. A laughing stock 12 months ago. Emery has, at the very least, got the Wenger stink off them and has essentially the same group of players pulling in the same direction.

They are far from perfect, but fans don't need that. They need to some their team on the right track and providing some excitement and positivity along the way.

We don't do that.

Unread 05-12-2018, 05:09 PM
TheKitchenSink

Quote:
Bournemouth just lost 4 on the spin and are above us in the table We aren't the benchmark of progress for anyone anymore
Lost 4 of their last 5 and still 6th what a shit league.

Unread 05-12-2018, 06:09 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Absolutely sick of this fraud. Whatever he had he lost it at Madrid, it's never coming back, he's never going to win anything of note ever again. Just get rid.
Famous last words, but yeah.
Closed Thread