United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:15 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Defensively this guy is fantastic already at age 21. With better players in front of him I expect his attacking side to develop. £50m for a young, English player in this day and age (who is actually talented) is decent. Should get a good decade out of him hopefully.
That's if he's actually up to the required standard

Interested to see how he fits in during pre-season and then into the early part of next season however I do have some serious reservations about this transfer

It's all well and good saying he'll develop the attacking side of his game but for full backs at top clubs that's the most important part of their game these days and it's their defending they work on to improve
I'd prefer to sign a full back who already has those attacking qualities but needs to polish his defending instead

Also defending at Utd is completely different to defending at Palace
At Palace they all got back into shape and defended deep with numbers however at a club like Utd who are expected to dominate the majority of games he's going to find himself isolated against attackers with lots of space to cover
Not saying he can't do it but it's harder to defend at a top club like Utd

Best of luck Obi Wan-Bissaka

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:17 AM
puressence

nice to suddenly have genuine pace in the team instead of slugs

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:18 AM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
This. Both good investments and not on stupid wages.

And most importantly....

No
More
Ashley
Young
I'm lubing up.

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:18 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
That's if he's actually up to the required standard

Interested to see how he fits in during pre-season and then into the early part of next season however I do have some serious reservations about this transfer

It's all well and good saying he'll develop the attacking side of his game but for full backs at top clubs that's the most important part of their game these days and it's their defending they work on to improve
I'd prefer to sign a full back who already has those attacking qualities but needs to polish his defending instead

Also defending at Utd is completely different to defending at Palace
At Palace they all got back into shape and defended deep with numbers however at a club like Utd who are expected to dominate the majority of games he's going to find himself isolated against attackers with lots of space to cover
Not saying he can't do it but it's harder to defend at a top club like Utd

Best of luck Obi Wan-Bissaka
hes probably the quickest full back in england tbh

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:19 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:20 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
In fairness I don't think being slow was a big problem with Young as he got up and down that line all day
His problem was being £#%&!ing shit

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:27 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
80k a week. More in line with the type of wage we should be paying a young kid.

Hopefully gives him the incentive to work hard, as he’ll probably be on double that next summer if he has a good season.

Very good signing, btw. i like both signings that Ole has made so far - young, British kids who can hopefully be a key part of the rebuild.
Same here

We spend far too much time on here following every bit of Twitter twaddle, making it seem like deals are taking forever

It's late June, the players aren't even in training and this kid is away with England.

It's a £50m deal. These things dont just happen overnight. I long for end days before the internet where Andy Cole would just appear next to Fergie in January 1995.

Fact is, we are desperate for a right back. This kid is one of the up and coming young players in the country. It's the kind we need and should be going after.

And is signing a full back ever thrilling?

It's a good signing.

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:30 AM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Same here

We spend far too much time on here following every bit of Twitter twaddle, making it seem like deals are taking forever

It's late June, the players aren't even in training and this kid is away with England.

It's a £50m deal. These things dont just happen overnight. I long for end days before the internet where Andy Cole would just appear next to Fergie in January 1995.

Fact is, we are desperate for a right back. This kid is one of the up and coming young players in the country. It's the kind we need and should be going after.

It's a good signing.
It absolutely is thrilling when it means Youngy won't be clogging a position up.

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:33 AM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Same here

It's a good signing.
You and yer bloody reasonable viewpoints....

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Vedder

Thumbs up

No more Young

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:35 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
You and yer bloody reasonable viewpoints....

Would bad rep him if i could.

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:37 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
It absolutely is thrilling when it means Youngy won't be clogging a position up.
where the MUFC squad is one massive sewer pipe, that £#%&!ing @#%&! was indeed clogging it up.

we'll be less shit with that @#%&! banished to a tattoo parlour

Unread 26-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Would bad rep him if i could.

Unread 26-06-2019, 12:10 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
No more Young
He might be moved to centre back.

Unread 26-06-2019, 12:13 PM
barca99

Quote:
No more Young
Not sure what this lad playing left wing for the under 18s women team has to do with young?

Unread 26-06-2019, 12:24 PM
shenwen

Great signing
Right age/profile/etc. Expecting good things from the lad.
It’s not the glamour signing the likes of Koppas want to £#%&! over, but it’s the right signing we need if we have any serious longer term rebuild in mind.

Unread 26-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
He might be moved to centre back.
I seem to recall him playing as a lone striker against Spurs a few years ago. Good option imo

Unread 26-06-2019, 12:28 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Great signing
Right age/profile/etc. Expecting good things from the lad.
It’s not the glamour signing the likes of Koppas want to £#%&! over, but it’s the right signing we need if we have any serious longer term rebuild in mind.
Definitely agree, it was about time we took a different approach. If we can get a team together that plays good football and wants to keep improving, that's when we can start bringing in "wonder kids" and "superstars" as the final piece of the jigsaw. Patience and a long term view from the club is exactly what has been needed. I'm still doubtful re: Woodward but I'm not particularly unhappy this summer so far. Especially with Ash a step closer to £#%&!ing off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
I seem to recall him playing as a lone striker against Spurs a few years ago. Good option imo
Better than Rashford.

Unread 26-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Curtis

Quote:

Unread 26-06-2019, 12:56 PM
AK14

Thumbs down

Quote:
No more Young
Until Shaw gets injured on tour...