United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 14-05-2019, 07:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Shit Shaw- Club signing
Average Shaw- Van Gaal signing...

The problem was obliterating the squad AND signing complete gash as replacements. The rot took full control when the likes of Rojo, Darmian, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin etc all rocked up.

Whether Van Gaal was fully responsible for that is another thing though...
Have never called Shaw shit

Let's be honest your club doesn't become rotten because of a few dud signings like Darmian, Schneiderlin etc. Especially when you previously had Evans, Cleverley...

Basti was exactly the type of personality we needed. When he wasn't at the Tennis etc.

Unread 14-05-2019, 07:04 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Basti was exactly the type of personality we needed.
yup.

Unread 14-05-2019, 07:12 PM
dunk

Quote:
Or our current POTY

Everyone wanted the squad obliterated. Literally everyone.
I always felt he stripped the squad back purposely, getting rid of those that didn’t want to be there first and foremost. Think we had 16 recognised first teamers at the beginning of ‘15-16? He wanted another attacker or 2 IIRC, but beyond that was prepared to have a look at the squad and see what he had at the club that was useful in the youth, as he had done at every club he’d been at previously. A patient approach tbh. Then after that season he would’ve pushed on with signings to improve the team/group. Sadly no-one else had his patience and now here we are with an overbloated squad of the petulant and overpaid. Awesome.

Unread 14-05-2019, 07:12 PM
AK14

Quote:
Have never called Shaw shit

Let's be honest your club doesn't become rotten because of a few dud signings like Darmian, Schneiderlin etc. Especially when you previously had Evans, Cleverley...

Basti was exactly the type of personality we needed. When he wasn't at the Tennis etc.
Rot had begun before then, but signing complete shit like we did around that time meant there was rot on top of rot.

I’d have taken Evans over Rojo and Rafael over Darmian all day long tbf (still would). I don’t think most of the decisions were made by Van Gaal though tbh, we knew he’d only be here for three years so the board went for what they thought would be a quick fix (throw money at the problem). Trouble is that’s made us needing another rebuild a few years after the last one

Unread 14-05-2019, 07:20 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Rot had begun before then, but signing complete shit like we did around that time meant there was rot on top of rot.

I’d have taken Evans over Rojo and Rafael over Darmian all day long tbf (still would). I don’t think most of the decisions were made by Van Gaal though tbh, we knew he’d only be here for three years so the board went for what they thought would be a quick fix (throw money at the problem). Trouble is that’s made us needing another rebuild a few years after the last one
Evan was shite tbf but we did seem a club all over the place in terms of transfer strategy. The fact that we signed Blind on deadline day in August says a lot. For Van Gaal to be hired in May and sign Blind at the end of August suggests calamity in one way or another.

With hindsight I don't have an issue with anyone we sold. The incomings have fallen well short though. In numbers and quality.

Unread 14-05-2019, 09:37 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
It is written. Evidence was there before your eyes. Camped around a penalty area for 80 minutes with barely a shot on target.

Carrick wasn’t a serious professional?

Did you see us at West Ham when all we needed was 3pts to qualify for CL? Didn’t look like it was coming together at all.
I did, and we capitulated. But it was a young group of players and for the most part we saw that season out with a decent run and a trophy. What we shouldn't have done is employ Mourinho as LVGs replacement. They're two managers who want their teams to play in two totally different ways. Whatever rebuild LVG had implemented immediately was thrown in the bin as Mourinho looked to build his team. What followed ended up becoming a bigger horror show than we anticipated, and we are absolutely no better off now. So, in hindsight, I actually wouldn't have minded sticking it out for the full 3 years.

Unread 14-05-2019, 09:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I always felt he stripped the squad back purposely, getting rid of those that didn’t want to be there first and foremost. Think we had 16 recognised first teamers at the beginning of ‘15-16? He wanted another attacker or 2 IIRC, but beyond that was prepared to have a look at the squad and see what he had at the club that was useful in the youth, as he had done at every club he’d been at previously. A patient approach tbh. Then after that season he would’ve pushed on with signings to improve the team/group. Sadly no-one else had his patience and now here we are with an overbloated squad of the petulant and overpaid. Awesome.
Yep. It’s a long term approach. Can I use this bloke medium/long term? If not he can go now and I’ll play some kids while we assess it. I reckon he’d have sold almost all of them given the chance. As you say we ended that first window with most of us feeling we needed a few more. Truth is we have been playing catch up in the market ever since Moyes didn’t get anyone before the Fellaini/Herrera £#%&!show of September 2013.

Unread 14-05-2019, 09:58 PM
AK14

He was retiring after three years so I’m not sure he looked at the long term when signing/selling players.

We’d already lost Rio, Evra and Vidic that window so I didn’t really see the need to lose Evans too, especially if it meant replacing him with Rojo. It all felt a bit rushed and the board leading the club that window imo.

Herrera, Shaw, Falcao and Di Maria were more club signings nqat. Wasn’t the Rojo one done pretty early into the off season too but it took a while to get over the line because of third party ownership?

Van Gaal made plenty of mistakes but I do think the board probably let him down in the transfer market.

Unread 14-05-2019, 10:11 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
He was retiring after three years so I’m not sure he looked at the long term when signing/selling players.

We’d already lost Rio, Evra and Vidic that window so I didn’t really see the need to lose Evans too, especially if it meant replacing him with Rojo. It all felt a bit rushed and the board leading the club that window imo.

Herrera, Shaw, Falcao and Di Maria were more club signings nqat. Wasn’t the Rojo one done pretty early into the off season too but it took a while to get over the line because of third party ownership?

Van Gaal made plenty of mistakes but I do think the board probably let him down in the transfer market.
Evans got a year under LvG. I think he decided he preferred Smalling and Jones which is a fair call. Everyone was happy to see him go. Ashley Young levels of disdain by the end.

I think he can’t help but take the long-term view. It’s just his approach. When he was close to being cooked at Barca in 2002 he still played 18yo Iniesta ahead of Mendieta. He does what he thinks is right. Remember he signed Martial and said he was bought for his successor. Some truth to that outlook tbh.

Rojo I reckon was a short-sighted one simply as he’d studied Argentina as opponents at the World Cup. Suspect that was his shout after Hunmels didn’t happen.

Unread 14-05-2019, 10:18 PM
AK14

Quote:
Evans got a year under LvG. I think he decided he preferred Smalling and Jones which is a fair call. Everyone was happy to see him go. Ashley Young levels of disdain by the end.

I think he can’t help but take the long-term view. It’s just his approach. When he was close to being cooked at Barca in 2002 he still played 18yo Iniesta ahead of Mendieta. He does what he thinks is right. Remember he signed Martial and said he was bought for his successor. Some truth to that outlook tbh.

Rojo I reckon was a short-sighted one simply as he’d studied Argentina as opponents at the World Cup. Suspect that was his shout after Hunmels didn’t happen.
Course Evans was sold in 2015...

For some reason I thought he was sold after playing like a shitter Phill Jones against MK Dons

Probably should have been the more I think about it

Unread 14-05-2019, 10:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Course Evans was sold in 2015...

For some reason I thought he was sold after playing like a shitter Phill Jones against MK Dons

Probably should have been the more I think about it
That was Michael Keane iirc