United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:13 AM
redhegemony

Default Ronaldo - decline.

crikey he looked well off the pace last night but ETH has suggested he isn't fully fit.

Has he declined that much since last season or is it because the much quicker football and passes inside the channels are exposing him?

A new striker must be the priority.

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:16 AM
Joe Biden

Hard to watch. I think he's starting to realise himself. Maybe that's why he wanted a move.

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:17 AM
Patty_b

He had no pre-season and needs a goal. He looks well off the pace but can't see him going from scoring 24 last season to completely shot within one summer.

Once he gets off the mark for the season then he'll be fine until the end of the season.

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:20 AM
redhegemony

He knows he hasn't got the pace which is sad to see...still got the leap and hang

Rooney declined quite quickly as did G. Nev

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:23 AM
Whip Hubley

Basically needs to be used as a target man. He can obviously still finish, incredible header of the ball... but his pace is completely gone.

Reminds me a bit of G nevs last days. The legs moving but not actually going anywhere.

Will be used sparingly then retire at the end of this season I expect.

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:27 AM
NedKelly

I think it was armchair who said last week he looks like he’s realised he’s old. I think he’s more than capable of adapting - he’s done it before after all - but I’m not sure we’re in a position to afford him the time to do so.

We need to be looking forward, and as much as I love him, I think the Queen dying was almost symbolic - she knew. He will always be the King - perhaps he could take on a coaching role alongside Erik? We all saw the magnificent effect he had on the Portugal team in the Euro final when he had to motivate them from the sidelines.

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:33 AM
AK14

He looks done at the moment.

Maybe getting off the mark will spur him on? Hope so because obviously we’re well short of strikers.

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:38 AM
shenwen

he looked bad. Could be that he has passed his peak. Could be that he is unfit. Could be he was upset about the death of HRM.

The good news is that Erik has already made it clear we won't be depending on him as our first choice striker, so not too arsed.

I see he's still not lost the art of throwing his hands in the air when a pass doesn't reach his feet. Good to see.

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:43 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

He is a 37 year old playing like a 37 year old.

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:44 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
He is a 37 year old playing like a 37 year old.
Thanks Peter

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:54 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Thanks Peter
Happy to oblige. Seems this was like rocket science for a few.

Unread 09-09-2022, 10:08 AM
Switching Off

He still jumped about 16ft for that offside goal. He'll score some big goals for us this season, NQAT.

Unread 09-09-2022, 10:08 AM
Dasilvatwins

I’m hoping it’s to do with match sharpness too. Doesn’t help when others played shit. He wasn’t great, but neither was his service. Maybe stick him in a team which the team team concedes the ball more and he will get goals.

Unread 09-09-2022, 10:16 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
I’m hoping it’s to do with match sharpness too. Doesn’t help when others played shit. He wasn’t great, but neither was his service. Maybe stick him in a team which the team team concedes the ball more and he will get goals.
What?

He’s obviously not fully up to speed, but do we want to put him in for the 4-5 successive games it’ll take to get him there?

He showed signs of huge decline last season when he was playing every game too.

Unread 09-09-2022, 10:17 AM
Joe Biden

He needs to stop dropping deep. Give him the service and he'll still score goals.

Unread 09-09-2022, 10:17 AM
20LEgend1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
What?
Think dasilvatwins was pretty clear. We need to stick him in a team which the team team concedes the ball more.

Unread 09-09-2022, 10:20 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Think dasilvatwins was pretty clear. We need to stick him in a team which the team team concedes the ball more.

Unread 09-09-2022, 12:24 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Basically needs to be used as a target man. He can obviously still finish, incredible header of the ball... but his pace is completely gone.

Reminds me a bit of G nevs last days. The legs moving but not actually going anywhere.

Will be used sparingly then retire at the end of this season I expect.

I think people forget that at his age athletes can fall off a cliff almost overnight. At the start of the season I thought he was lacking match fitness and perhaps he still is. But he seems to be trying to do his other movements more quickly to make up for his rapidly-declining pace, and looks uncoordinated as a result.

His heading and hang-time, and finishes from close range look to be all that is left of peak Ronaldo.

Unread 09-09-2022, 03:13 PM
BarryX

Hopefully he'll adapt and have a swansong. At least, coming off the bench. A resurgent Ronaldo would be a massive bonus for us this year (obvs).

Unread 09-09-2022, 03:15 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Ffs
Closed Thread