United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-09-2022, 07:43 AM
Switching Off

Football Premier League cancellations

Announcement this morning. They've been advised to 'gauge the mood of a nation'. Hopefully they choose Ireland.

I dont think there are any midweek breaks between now and the world cup if you're in Europe, apart from either side of the international break. And if you cancel this week you probably have to cancel next week, so seems a bit much to fit it all in.

Let us heal through football.

Unread 09-09-2022, 07:46 AM
AK14

Police needed else where, where there will be large memorials etc could be a problem?

I want games to go ahead but if they decide to postpone then surely they just extend the season by a couple of weeks next year. I’m guessing European games will still be played mid week though.

Unread 09-09-2022, 07:52 AM
shenwen

Officially there should be no cancellations. Nothing was cancelled after the last King died.

However, given the mawkishness of the Uk I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel games so we can all be spend the weekend crying in front of mirrors.

Be pissed off if they do,

Unread 09-09-2022, 07:53 AM
Dr Stranger

They cancelled the footy when Diana died. I’ll be surprised if they don’t.

Nice of them to not only decide that we should grieve, but also how we do it.

Unread 09-09-2022, 07:57 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
They cancelled the footy when Diana died. I’ll be surprised if they don’t.

Nice of them to not only decide that we should grieve, but also how we do it.
It's not like Big Liz was struck down in her prime though, she was 96 ffs

If people want to be sad, then fine. But 'elderly person dying of natural causes' shouldn't result in entire sporting fixtures cancelled just so people can pretend to be miserable just because we've been instructed to.

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:02 AM
believe

People talking about her like she was just someone who read the news or something She was the queen of the country ffs and believe it or not a vast majority of the people from that country actually quite liked her. Any other country in the world would do the same because they have a respect for the monarchy and aren’t just a load of miserable @#%&!s who dislike everything and anything.

People calling other people morons for wanting to go and put flowers down at buckingham palace etc and especially on here. I remember being at old trafford a couple of hours after Busby died and the place was heaving. I imagine it will be the same when Ferguson goes.

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:05 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
People talking about her like she was just someone who read the news or something She was the queen of the country ffs and believe it or not a vast majority of the people from that country actually quite liked her. Any other country in the world would do the same because they have a respect for the monarchy and aren’t just a load of miserable @#%&!s who dislike everything and anything.

People calling other people morons for wanting to go and put flowers down at buckingham palace etc and especially on here. I remember being at old trafford a couple of hours after Busby died and the place was heaving. I imagine it will be the same when Ferguson goes.
When's your flight back for the funeral?

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:08 AM
no fun

Quote:
People talking about her like she was just someone who read the news or something She was the queen of the country ffs and believe it or not a vast majority of the people from that country actually quite liked her. Any other country in the world would do the same because they have a respect for the monarchy and aren’t just a load of miserable c***s who dislike everything and anything.

You know you’re right

I’m one of the main culprits on here for slagging her off, but when I think of how she spent £13m of public funds on preventing the prosecution of a p***ophile my heart bursts with pride

Anyway, back to the football. I’ve no doubt it will be cancelled, the serfs cannot be seen to be enjoying themselves after a billionairess they never met has died aged 96

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:10 AM
est.1878

'a load of miserable @#%&!s who dislike everything and anything.'

Should be our Google bio

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:11 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
'a load of miserable c***s who dislike everything and anything.'

Should be our Google bio

I like the Lake District, curb your enthusiasm and Arthur scargill so count me out

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:12 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
'a load of miserable @#%&!s who dislike everything and anything.'

Should be our Google bio
Miserable old @#%&!s imo

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:13 AM
NedKelly

“We’re the only ones who are allowed to be miserable!”

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:15 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
It's not like Big Liz was struck down in her prime though, she was 96 ffs

If people want to be sad, then fine. But 'elderly person dying of natural causes' shouldn't result in entire sporting fixtures cancelled just so people can pretend to be miserable just because we've been instructed to.
I agree, just saying that’s not how it’ll be perceived. They’re talking about ten days of mourning (whatever the universally agreed manner of that is) so everything and anything is getting binned of this weekend.

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:21 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
You know you’re right

I’m one of the main culprits on here for slagging her off, but when I think of how she spent £13m of public funds on preventing the prosecution of a p***ophile my heart bursts with pride

Anyway, back to the football. I’ve no doubt it will be cancelled, the serfs cannot be seen to be enjoying themselves after a billionairess they never met has died aged 96
You might have to do something similar for one of yours one day.

I’m pretty sure has already mentioned the reason for cancelling the football would be crowd control and police measures.

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:27 AM
RedNick80

Quote:

+1

Accept whatever the decision is. How people react is up to them, clearly some people couldn't care less and for others (the majority) its more important.

no fun

Quote:
You might have to do something similar for one of yours one day.
Well I hope not, but never say never

The difference would be;

I wouldn’t be given the opportunity to make it go away with a bribe, and even if I did I would use my own money

Back to your point on football cancellation

Maybe police will be needed in London to make sure the simpletons outside Buckingham palacedon’t get knocked over as they stumble into the road overcome with grief, but in other major cities there is unlikely to be any gathering of crowds requiring a major police presence

Switching Off

Quote:

The ears, this defence of the Royal family, the bizarre sight of you living a life of luxury despite never doing any work. You're Charles' son arent you?

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:28 AM
Zorg

I don't think people mourning are morons at all, but I just don't get the need to cancel things. Life goes on.
Mourning fine, but imposed mourning? No.

And I'm generally against anything that would allow the scousers to have a break and re-group.

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:28 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
+1

Accept whatever the decision is. How people react is up to them, clearly some people couldn't care less and for others (the majority) its more important.
What if people want to react by watching football?

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:31 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
The ears, this defence of the Royal family, the bizarre sight of you living a life of luxury despite never doing any work. You're Charles' son arent you?
I do a cracking impression tbf
Closed Thread