United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Unread 01-01-2019, 08:50 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Quillette
Such a cliche he's become.

How long till he sincerely uses Breitbart as a source.

Last edited by saffers; 01-01-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Unread 01-01-2019, 08:51 PM
Hands of Scone

Is it any wonder that politics is in such a state when the best that the cumbrian true believer can do when confronted with informed criticism is to attack the platform it’s published in (not pravda), and then the author (all the other true believers say he’s a crank) without addressing a single fucking point made. You might think he has no nothing to say to refute the argument.

Meanwhile, Albert struggles withbthe concept of a book review and so won’t read it. More likely he’s had a go but it’s above his reading age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
I’d bet my house this prick wears a Palestinian scarf to his campus sit ins.

Unread 01-01-2019, 08:55 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

How long till he sincerely uses Breitbart as a source.
mate, you've posted think progress unironically in the past.

Unread 01-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
mate, you've posted think progress unironically in the past.
He can only hear echoes

Unread 01-01-2019, 09:27 PM
Harri Jaffa

Irkles. Not the only thing of it's sort available but alludes to some of things in the article.

The article is very presumptuous. There are phrases like "you will find that...". Blimey, will i? Well thanks for telling me what to think.

It does read a bit like a book review. Might be a really good book. Might even read it. That article isn't anything other than thoughts that have been made, or I think possibley confirmed 'feelings' on a subject matter.

Unread 01-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Hands of Scone

Another absolutely nonsensical post from harri. What are you actually trying to say? I can’t fathom an actual point. It is a book review.

As for that interview - it’s a car crash.

‘Akala’ (ffs) spends the first half in professor mode complaining in what he imagines is an academic manner about unreasonable stop and search, then the second half utterly undermining his previous utterances when he enters street mode and confesses that he used to carry a knife, comes from a culture in which it is expected that one would physically attack people if slighted, and details the many violent stabbings he has borne witness to, as well as talking a out his violent friends. Maybe the stop and search was well aimed, eh? But he wants it both ways.

Last edited by Hands of Scone; 01-01-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Unread 01-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
The article is very presumptuous

It does read a bit like a book review.
Erm, it is a book review. Small clue in the title of it...

Unread 01-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
Another absolutely nonsensical post from harri. What are you actually trying to say? I can’t fathom an actual point.

As for that interview - it’s a car crash.

‘Akala’ (ffs) spends the first half in professor mode complaining in what he imagines is an academic manner about unreasonable stop and search, then the second half utterly undermining his previous utterances when he enters street mode and confesses that he used to carry a knife, comes from a culture in which it is expected that one would physically attack people if slighted, and details the many violent stabbings he has borne witness to, as well as talking a out his violent friends. Maybe the stop and search was well aimed, eh?
I think he knows about the juxtaposition. It's about personal responsibility and he's been lucky.

Anyway. Back to the article. He (the writer of the article not the book) says phrases that include:

- You will find that
- After his superb discussion

I don't know what I will find, or whether the discussion was actually superb. Have you actually critically read the article? Being long doesn't mean it's good, it's mainly superlatives about how good the ideas are. Not actual detail.

Unread 01-01-2019, 09:57 PM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
I think he knows about the juxtaposition. It's about personal responsibility and he's been lucky.

Anyway. Back to the article. He (the writer of the article not the book) says phrases that include:

- You will find that
- After his superb discussion

I don't know what I will find, or whether the discussion was actually superb. Have you actually critically read the article? Being long doesn't mean it's good, it's mainly superlatives about how good the ideas are. Not actual detail.
It’s a fucking book review and you’re an idiot.

It’s not a juxtaposition. It’s a glaring flaw in his argument. It’s a tacit confession he is talking shit. He complains that the stop and search was targetted at the wrong people like him and ascribes this to racism. Then he goes on to say him and his mates were routinely biolent and carried knives thereby revealing himself as exactly the type of person who should be subjected to stop and search. Maybe if there had been more of it he wouldnt have witnessed all those stabbings he’s keen to brag about.

Last edited by Hands of Scone; 01-01-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Unread 01-01-2019, 10:09 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
It’s a fucking book review and you’re an idiot.
Here is another review of it:

The book is a good example of what politics has become. It shows how ideas and language promoted by identity politics, victimhood culture and diversity have become so pervasive and accepted that a book reflecting these ideas is still seen as criticising them. This is NOT a critique of identity politics and diversity but a 'what about us' plea for an identity group that is seen as wrongly treated because they are not allowed the same claims, positive version of their identity and benefits other identities group apparently have.

The first thing this book does is to casually create an identity, the Liberal-Left identity. It seems supporting a common set of political opinions or principles is enough for an ’identity’ label, a fixed identity as all identities are essentially fixed. Also an easy label that reflects the current refusal, from both sides, to engage with ideas; from those who claim a particular identity for themselves with a ‘I don’t need to explain myself, my identity is such’ but also from those who simply put others in identity groups to dismiss them without engaging with particular ideas.

This casual creation of an identity also reflects the belief that politics has always been identity politics, showing an ahistorical understanding of the current trends today. Representational form of politics of the past was about convincing people that certain political ideas and policies supported their interests. Identity politics today is claiming that our identities, not our reason, determine our opinions, interests and the political platform we should be supporting.

System of diversity here. System of oppression in the other tribes. Both claim that a set of beliefs are embedded in the fabric of our society through the institutions (government, political parties, education...) and that we are acted upon by rules and regulations and manipulated by some hyperconscious individuals.

As I said, not a critique but a plea. The claim of systemic oppression, one of the main points argued by those who openly support identity politics is simply dismissed in the most ridiculous manner so that later in the book, we learn that actually, it is one of the unfavoured groups, the white British working class men, who are suffering the most. They suffer from existential threat while apparently the ‘positive version of group identity’ somehow protects women, black people and other minorities. This reminds me of the wrong claim, from the other side, that racism and white privilege protect and benefit white people.

Yes, there is denigration of the white working class by some of the political and cultural elites but this does not mean protection or benefits for members of other groups. The elites do benefit from the current trends as they can be seen to connect with people through identity gatekeepers who also benefit by gaining political and social power for themselves. The terrible consequences for most of us is what make me strongly oppose these current trends, not the demand to pity vulnerable white working class men the same way the Liberal-Left demand us to pity vulnerable women and minorities. Entering the competition for victimhood will result in nothing else than more divisions, hatred and resentment.

This existential threat is claimed to be due to the lack of support from the political elites but also the actions of some of the preferred groups: immigrants resulting from apparently mass immigration to the UK and more particularly Muslim immigrants. To make this argument, constant blurring of the lines between Muslims, Muslim identity, immigrants, Islam, Islamism and especially the divisive consequences of the multicultural policies promoted by the government for the last few decades is used in the book. Multicultural policies that demand that each culture be protected and kept alive ended up creating parallel communities. Now, the existence of these parallel communities is blamed on the supposedly natural tendencies of immigrants to separate from the native population.

Having already dismissed the claim of oppression and basically refusing to deal with what underlies identity politics and the belief in diversity as a value, the book can then organise identity groups into favoured and unfavoured or preferred and not preferred. The underlying rational behind the victimhood Olympics (claim of oppression) is simply dismissed and replaced by a belief that it is about preferring a group over another.

To push the plea, the author goes so far as to claim that the elites preferred migrants because of similarity between them: they apparently both travel the world and that leads to the absurd claim that public debates and those supporting identity politics and diversity are (quote) ‘dominated by a judgmental rationalism that takes little or no account of personal experience’! The problem of identity politics is actually that it is the opposite: personal experiences and emotionalism have primacy over reason. This leads to current cries to ‘stay in your lane’ and that only women can talk about women issues or only black people about racism. But to push the plea, the book is arguing that they do not consider personal experiences enough because the experiences of white British people suffering from existential threat is not considered by the elites who seem to support immigrants. The claims of being ‘citizen of the world’ from the cosmopolitan crowd that tries to bypass the will of British people is translated here, in this book, into a supposed preference for immigrants by some individuals with a certain identity.

This is not criticising the fact that diversity is now seen as value, as inherently good but a critique of diversity as a fact of life because of the concern for an existential threat. There is a difference between diversity as a fact of life that acknowledges that all kinds of people with different backgrounds, beliefs and opinions live together in one place and diversity promoted as a value that leads to seeing people as categories and demands that each categories be represented, accepted and protected.

The demand for the white British men to be allowed positive version of their identities, be allowed more identity representation and for the identity group be treated on an equal footing with other identity groups is certainly not challenging the extremely divisive identity politics. This is in fact accepting the current situation and accommodating to it. This acceptance of the situation is what the other ‘tribes’ do too. Anti-racist activists supporting identity politics and demanding diversity accept our racial divisions and are reviving racial thinking to claim benefits for their own individual positions. This needs to be strongly challenged, not imitated.