United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics
Closed Thread

Unread 21-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Sapien

Post Jordan B Peterson vs Cathy Newman

Canadian psychologist dances rings round ill-prepared interviewer
The aftermath includes predictable misogynistic abuse which seems to have now become the story to the exclusion of that of her weak arguments and childish approach being dismantled. Pity.

Unread 21-01-2018, 09:30 PM
armchair

Cathy "So you are saying" Newman

Unread 21-01-2018, 09:36 PM
My Name is Heath

I was amazed at this.

I watched it expecting some wild US ‘expert’ being ripped apart by a well prepared Brit journalist.

Instead, it’s a remarkably lucid and reasonable Professor who looks like he is dealing with a pissed up undergrad with issues.

If I were C4 I’d be ashamed by this clip doing the rounds.

I had an ‘argument’ about something similar with my feminist niece. It’s important men are encouraged to do well as they are 50% of the planet and that obviously makes the world better for everybody - the tone of this interviewer made it sound like she wanted it to be a contest.

Media people are mostly awful.

Unread 21-01-2018, 09:37 PM
irk

So complete was her humiliation that they’re trying to reframe the story as her receiving ‘vile misogynistic abuse’. The Twitter thread nails it.

Unread 21-01-2018, 09:41 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Cathy "So you are saying" Newman

27:50

How many times does this happen?

She asks that ‘so you are saying..’ and he replies ‘no...’

Seriously think it must have been 6 or 7 times.

A genuine lack of mathematical feeling - couldn’t understand the idea of many factors behind a statistic. Incredible.

Unread 21-01-2018, 09:48 PM
tatty

Well that's him finished professionally.

Unread 21-01-2018, 09:51 PM
irk

Unread 21-01-2018, 09:55 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Well that's him finished professionally.
Not really. They've been trying to smear him as alt-right for ages. Same with people like Dave Rubin and Sam Harris. It's not sticking in the way it used to.

He makes at least 6730x5 = 33k a month from patreon as well as what he's paid as a professor (not sure if he's tenured or not but he hasn't been fired) plus speaking fees. and private practice.

He's another person with an irritating voice that I broadly agree with but I actually find I can only take him in some doses. Very droney voice.

Unread 21-01-2018, 10:03 PM
taff

The morning passed all too swiftly for the amorous sculptor, but it was crowded with incidents which laid bare to him the coquetry, the weakness, the daintiness, of that pliant, inert soul. She was a true woman with her sudden terrors, her unreasoning caprices, her instinctive worries, her causeless audacity, her bravado, and her fascinating delicacy of feeling. At one time, as the merry little party of singers ventured out into the open country, they saw at some distance a number of men armed to the teeth, whose costume was by no means reassuring. At the words, 'Those are brigands!' they all quickened their pace in order to reach the shelter of the wall enclosing the cardinal's villa.

Unread 21-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
The morning passed all too swiftly for the amorous sculptor, but it was crowded with incidents which laid bare to him the coquetry, the weakness, the daintiness, of that pliant, inert soul. She was a true woman with her sudden terrors, her unreasoning caprices, her instinctive worries, her causeless audacity, her bravado, and her fascinating delicacy of feeling. At one time, as the merry little party of singers ventured out into the open country, they saw at some distance a number of men armed to the teeth, whose costume was by no means reassuring. At the words, 'Those are brigands!' they all quickened their pace in order to reach the shelter of the wall enclosing the cardinal's villa.
Dan Brown?
Closed Thread