United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:16 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
Van Gaal was trying to implement the football that Guardiola is now playing at city, execpt Van Gaal was trying to do it with the likes of Smalling, Jones, Valencia, Fellaini and the like, he was not given a fair crack at the job. Would have loved a 50yr old Van Gaal taking us over... Would have done wonders for us.........
Hard to argue with that tbh, he was done when he rocked up here tbf and was on his way at the end of his third season anyway. The concern is the fact the club have no idea how to run the football side of things since Fergie left, going for three different types of managers in the space of six years with no clear plan of what type of manager they want

Which IMO is why Mourinho is the right man at this moment in time, someone who has the ability to win games no matter what and pick up trophies while the club is in transistion and figuring out a way to replace a man that run the football side of things for such a long time.

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Bayern went from 2nd to 1st.

So did Barca first spell.
Interesting text indeed.

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:18 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Hard to argue with that tbh, he was done when he rocked up here tbf and was on his way at the end of his third season anyway. The concern is the fact the club have no idea how to run the football side of things since Fergie left, going for three different types of managers in the space of six years with no clear plan of what type of manager they want.
Chasing 3 different types of CB in the same window too.. Just a bundle of confused nothingness.

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
If you're counting the shield then Wenger has won more trophies in the past five years than Mourinho

Saffers?

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:20 PM
dunk

Quote:
If you're counting the shield then Wenger has won more trophies in the past five years than Mourinho

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:21 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Chasing 3 different types of CB in the same window too.. Just a bundle of confused nothingness.
Mguire and Aldeweirald are a little similar tbf? (I think?)

Mina though?... unless we’re signing him along with one of the others?

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:35 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
All strong in the air and defend the box well though, which is probably why Mou will be a bit flexible on which ones he gets.

Mina's goalscoring exploits would surely make him a favourite. The World Cup wasn't a fluke - he's very consistent as an attacking threat.

Unread 03-08-2018, 09:01 PM
sa7

There is NO defending this bald little @#%&!

Unread 03-08-2018, 09:05 PM
armchair

nah mate it's months away - at least two months

Unread 03-08-2018, 09:15 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Nft.

He has let the manager down YET again. Did it to Moyes. Did it to LvG.
Understand where you're coming from but.....

Five pages and not one mention of the @#%&!s who gave him a job

Five pages and not one mention of the @#%&!s whose strategy he implements

Bottom line is he's paid to take the heat off the parasites and it obviously works

Unread 03-08-2018, 09:22 PM
dunk

Quote:
All strong in the air and defend the box well though, which is probably why Mou will be a bit flexible on which ones he gets.

Mina's goalscoring exploits would surely make him a favourite. The World Cup wasn't a fluke - he's very consistent as an attacking threat.
Until he meets our set piece delivery

Unread 03-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
" Get the best out of them? We aren't £#%&!ing Bolton" - Yea, on £15 mil a year get the best out of the expensively put together squad you have, which includes 7 of your own targets. At the very least it should be better to watch with the attacking talent we have, this surely isn't controversial?
What makes you think he isn’t getting the best out of them?

Attacking players aren’t independent from the rest of the team. It starts from defence, much as defence starts from attack.

Quote:
... and if the manager is going to be overruled then I’d want someone a bit more clued up than Ed calling the shots.
That’s the thing, Ed or the board don’t care about what the player brings in terms of character or how he’d integrate into the dressing room or team, as managers judge in order to build a group of people and players that gel. They judge on commercial and financial aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
Van Gaal was trying to implement the football that Guardiola is now playing at city, execpt Van Gaal was trying to do it with the likes of Smalling, Jones, Valencia, Fellaini and the like, he was not given a fair crack at the job. Would have loved a 50yr old Van Gaal taking us over... Would have done wonders for us.........
Would he not have lost the dressing room if he was younger? Barca and Bayern munich suggests he still would have. He seems pretty poor in terms of man management outside a Dutch environment. Maybe it’s a communication thing. After all, I doubt Fergie would have done much managing in Spain or Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Mguire and Aldeweirald are a little similar tbf? (I think?)

Mina though?... unless we’re signing him along with one of the others?
Has all the markings of a Woodward compromise offer to the manager. Just no logic to it, unless he’s in addition to one of the others, like you say.

Wouldn’t mind all three tbh. Rojo, smalling and jones out.

Unread 03-08-2018, 10:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Fair enough on Moyes but he had Zaha and Mata from January onwards, that's the thick end of £80m on players added to a title winning team, Ed might (did) make a mess of the summer but there was more than enough to improve on the 7th place Moyes managed.

I don't disagree that someone other than Ed calls the shots, I just don't think any of the other managers should get a pass for their own failings when they have counted on a ton of money and players that they wanted. Real Madrid don't get most of their targets these days, from memory city wanted Bailly, Sanchez, Fred and Jorginho and didn't get any of them, doubt anyone would have much sympathy for Pep if he complained he wasn't getting the players he needed.
Agree with you, although the quality of the players does have to be taken into account. I maintained when LvG was here that whoever bought the players, our squad wasn't very good. Our attacking options especially were pretty shite, hence relying for large parts on a past-it Rooney to lead the line, as the rest of the attack was made up of kids.

I've generally put that down to LvG being too casual about reinforcements. Sometimes he acts like he's got all the time in the world to build something. But it's also very possible that in summer 2015 when Falcao, RvP and Chicharito left permanently, he wanted more firepower and didn't get it. Similarly, when Mou wanted defensive additions, I doubt Bailly and/or Lindelof were his dream.

Unread 03-08-2018, 10:59 PM
YCSYFEUYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Nft.

He has let the manager down YET again. Did it to Moyes. Did it to LvG.
Says the embarrassing bastard who penned these threads

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211545

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225472

£#%&! off you attention seeking #@&%!

Btw Woodward is a @#%&!

Unread 03-08-2018, 11:35 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Agree with you, although the quality of the players does have to be taken into account. I maintained when LvG was here that whoever bought the players, our squad wasn't very good. Our attacking options especially were pretty shite, hence relying for large parts on a past-it Rooney to lead the line, as the rest of the attack was made up of kids.

I've generally put that down to LvG being too casual about reinforcements. Sometimes he acts like he's got all the time in the world to build something. But it's also very possible that in summer 2015 when Falcao, RvP and Chicharito left permanently, he wanted more firepower and didn't get it. Similarly, when Mou wanted defensive additions, I doubt Bailly and/or Lindelof were his dream.
He also bought a lot of rubbish to add to it, whilst selling the more positive players and favouring the **** ones we already had like Fellaini.

Rojo, Darmian, Blind, Herrera, Schneiderlein were squad level players at best.

If he wanted better players, surely he would be more vocal about it given the way he was treated.

United have spent a lot of money since Fergie left, enough to build an excellent squad that should not be serving up the crap we've witnessed since he left. Unfortunately it's been largely squandered.

You could argue the acquisition problem goes back even further into Fergie's final years. The only real successes since 2007 being De Gea, Pea and one season from RVP?

Unread 03-08-2018, 11:40 PM
saffers

Quote:
Wenger has been at the same club for 20 years.

Mou has gone into a Chelsea that was broken post-Fat waiter and a United that was broken post-lvg/moyes. Won a league title in 2015 which alone is worth more than Wengers 3 fa cup's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Interesting text indeed.
It's a fair and balanced text that discusses lvg. Did you think i'd post a hit piece?

Got big respect for LvG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCSYFEUYA
Says the embarrassing bastard who penned these threads

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211545

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225472

£#%&! off you attention seeking #@&%!

Btw Woodward is a @#%&!
Great threads.

Unread 04-08-2018, 12:00 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
He also bought a lot of rubbish to add to it, whilst selling the more positive players and favouring the **** ones we already had like Fellaini.

Rojo, Darmian, Blind, Herrera, Schneiderlein were squad level players at best.

If he wanted better players, surely he would be more vocal about it given the way he was treated.

United have spent a lot of money since Fergie left, enough to build an excellent squad that should not be serving up the crap we've witnessed since he left. Unfortunately it's been largely squandered.

You could argue the acquisition problem goes back even further into Fergie's final years. The only real successes since 2007 being De Gea, Pea and one season from RVP?
Bit of a myth I think. And I say that as someone who was disappointed at Welbeck being sold Nobody sold under LvG has proven the decision wrong. The ones that came in generally are better players, but few of them really likely to make a big difference.

I have no idea of the politics at United regarding transfers. Managers are far too busy these days to scout players or have an in-depth knowledge of the market. Our signings over the last ten years have suggested deficiencies at scouting level, which inevitably costs all managers. If LvG says he wants Mueller, because that's the only quality striker he can really think of, it's usually better if the club can provide good alternatives. You suspect part of the problem is it's all down to the manager, and so the knowledge is basic.

Unread 04-08-2018, 12:06 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
What makes you think he isn’t getting the best out of them?
I'm of the opinion a different manager would get more exciting/adventurous football without sacrificing results achieved thus far. I was well aware prior to his appointment that he would play pragmatic football but I would argue it's been a lot more conservative/less pragmatic. Taking Seville as an example, it was less pragmatic to play hoofball against them than actually trying to beat them on the ground. They were a bang average side but had more nous than Ajax against whom we deployed similar tactics, all they had to do was drop deep in case we got a flick on and we were neutralised.

Quote:
Agree with you, although the quality of the players does have to be taken into account.
Of course, paying over the odds for players that don't fit can be misleading. It's an extreme example but how did Darmian get scouted? What qualities were they looking for? None of it makes sense so it's hard to know where the blame lies between Ed/scouts/manager.

Unread 04-08-2018, 12:11 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
IOf course, paying over the odds for players that don't fit can be misleading. It's an extreme example but how did Darmian get scouted? What qualities were they looking for? None of it makes sense so it's hard to know where the blame lies between Ed/scouts/manager.
All of them, in his case. I doubt he was LvG's dream, but he should have seen the lad didn't fit the profile.

The fact that LvG came back from the World Cup in 2014 in mid-July, had a quick look at the players and then rushed through deals for Blind, who he knows, and Rojo and Di Maria, both of whom he'd just played against and analysed, probably said a bit about the organisation at the club. Ideally he asks for a left-sided CB and the club provide a dozen names. Instead it feels likely it was all on him.

Going into that second season with Rooney as the only proper striker was suicide. I think we still would have got top four without the injury crisis, but even so it was never likely to be a season of big progress because the squad wasn't ready.

Unread 04-08-2018, 12:17 AM
waynes ear's

Never mind sack Woodward. Fold the £#%&!ing club.
Closed Thread