United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Literally no-one is saying we shouldn't be trying to get back to elite status

By his own admission he got 4/4 targets in his first summer and 3/4 last summer, that's more than the vast majority of other managers get to work with and with 7 from 8 of his own targets I would expect more than we have been getting.

" Get the best out of them? We aren't £#%&!ing Bolton" - Yea, on £15 mil a year get the best out of the expensively put together squad you have, which includes 7 of your own targets. At the very least it should be better to watch with the attacking talent we have, this surely isn't controversial?
We disagree on the role of a manager. That's it. We will never see eye to eye because of this difference.

Twisting it into a style of play argument or he got X players last season or WHATEVER is just talking for talking's sake.

I'm not even trying to sway you. I genuinely don't care. I'm just glad I can now see your point of view

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:01 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Nft.

He has let the manager down YET again. Did it to Moyes. Did it to LvG.
This.
Not to say that the other 2 managers were going to put us back at the top but we've been amateurish in that department since Gill left.

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
That’s fine, I disagree with how you’re characterising what he’s trying to do. How does begging Fellaini to stay fit in with getting us back to elite status?
I knew you would come back with a "who/what/where/when/how" question. Because you are like a 4 year old who doesn't really understand what is going on and has no clear opinions of their own, but asks why/how?/who?? to prolong the conversation.

no offence

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:04 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Can't imagine why Wooders didn't rush to get his chequebook out to sign Baines/Vermaelen/Charlie Austin

He might be a clueless £#%&!er and there is no doubt a football structure would improve things immeasurably but all three managers can hardly argue they've not been backed well, their job is to get the best out of what they have and they have failed.
Tbf to Moyes he got one player the summer he took over. On deadline day. Fellaini. Fair chance he wanted more.

LvG reckons he didn’t get the ones he asked for. Who knows, but that side of things is important and if the manager is going to be overruled then I’d want someone a bit more clued up than Ed calling the shots.

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
We disagree on the role of a manager. That's it. We will never see eye to eye because of this difference.

Twisting it into a style of play argument or he got X players last season or WHATEVER is just talking for talking's sake.

I'm not even trying to sway you. I genuinely don't care. I'm just glad I can now see your point of view
I'm not clear on what you think the manager's role should be, if you think he should only be judged when he has put the entire squad together then fair enough but I think that's unrealistic, as with LVG he might have a great end vision but there needs to be milestones in the meantime.

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:15 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Tbf to Moyes he got one player the summer he took over. On deadline day. Fellaini. Fair chance he wanted more.

LvG reckons he didn’t get the ones he asked for. Who knows, but that side of things is important and if the manager is going to be overruled then I’d want someone a bit more clued up than Ed calling the shots.
This.

Feel for all 3 managers on this. Even if they did get the 3 or 4, or whatever that they asked for, how many were their first choices? I'd hazard a guess at not many...

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:18 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

Fair enough on Moyes but he had Zaha and Mata from January onwards, that's the thick end of £80m on players added to a title winning team, Ed might (did) make a mess of the summer but there was more than enough to improve on the 7th place Moyes managed.

I don't disagree that someone other than Ed calls the shots, I just don't think any of the other managers should get a pass for their own failings when they have counted on a ton of money and players that they wanted. Real Madrid don't get most of their targets these days, from memory city wanted Bailly, Sanchez, Fred and Jorginho and didn't get any of them, doubt anyone would have much sympathy for Pep if he complained he wasn't getting the players he needed.

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Bobda

Quote:

The person who sacked him.

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:20 PM
saffers

Quote:

LvG was denied several signings according to himself. Feel for him there, maybe with another £300m spent we could have done more than 4th and 5th playing very ugly football and almost no trophies..

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Football

Quote:
LvG was denied several signings according to himself. Feel for him there, maybe with another £300m spent we could have done more than 4th and 5th playing very ugly football and almost no trophies..
Well the following season we went to 6th so anything is possible.

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Ethers

Quote:
I knew you would come back with a "who/what/where/when/how" question. Because you are like a 4 year old who doesn't really understand what is going on and has no clear opinions of their own, but asks why/how?/who?? to prolong the conversation.

no offence
A very pompous way to say you can’t answer the question tbf

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:49 PM
AK14

Quote:

no offence

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:53 PM
saffers

Quote:
Well the following season we went to 6th so anything is possible.
Sorry I only remember 3 cups!

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:53 PM
dunk

Quote:
Sorry I only remember 3 cups!
Fake news.

Unread 03-08-2018, 07:59 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Fake news.

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:02 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
Van Gaal was trying to implement the football that Guardiola is now playing at city, execpt Van Gaal was trying to do it with the likes of Smalling, Jones, Valencia, Fellaini and the like, he was not given a fair crack at the job. Would have loved a 50yr old Van Gaal taking us over... Would have done wonders for us.........

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:05 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
Van Gaal was trying to implement the football that Guardiola is now playing at city, execpt Van Gaal was trying to do it with the likes of Smalling, Jones, Valencia, Fellaini and the like, he was not given a fair crack at the job. Would have loved a 50yr old Van Gaal taking us over... Would have done wonders for us.........
Would he?

Interesting text here on the van Gaal effect:

https://www.thestatszone.com/the-louis-van-gaal-effect

Quote:
Looking through the statistics, it is interesting to note that in 4 out of the 6 club jobs Van Gaal has had, the team has actually fared worse with him in charge than during the preceding two seasons. Indeed, in both his second spell at Barcelona and now at Manchester United, both clubs collected considerably less points, with Barcelona collecting a startling 27.54% less points and Manchester United thus far achieving 12.94% less. His two successes in terms of points gained have both occurred in the Eredivisie, at Ajax, where he made his name, and then in his later spell at the rather more unfashionable AZ Alkmaar. Is this a sign that Van Gaal can only thrive in a lesser league or are the statistics hiding the true Van Gaal effect?

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Ethers

We went from 7th to 4th in his first season. HTH.

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:11 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
We went from 7th to 4th in his first season. HTH.
Bayern went from 2nd to 1st.

So did Barca first spell.

Unread 03-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Buck

If you're counting the shield then Wenger has won more trophies in the past five years than Mourinho
Closed Thread