United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-10-2010, 10:37 PM
bruntyboy

Default Arsenal statistics so far

All competitions:

Played: 13
Penalties: for: 9 (3 missed) against: 2 (both missed)
Sendings off: for: 3 (of which 2 were in stoppage time) against: 5

Unread 25-10-2010, 10:40 PM
red in cumbria

"These things even out over a season" we are told. Well, let's see

Unread 25-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Happy Camper

There's evidence then that teams have a more physical approach against Arsenal, interesting...

Unread 25-10-2010, 10:56 PM
thatsfuctit

yeah, heard the penalty stat yesterday, menkul.

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:02 PM
moransbleedinghead

reaping the benefits of Wenger constant bitching and moaning about the rough treatment his team gets, refs are bending over to giv them decisions now.

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by moransbleedinghead
reaping the benefits of Wenger constant bitching and moaning about the rough treatment his team gets, refs are bending over to giv them decisions now.
.... is the typical everyone's against us view.

Logically, Arsenal face a more hard line approach from teams.

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Coracao

If you try and walk the ball in, you're more likely to get penalties tbf.

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:16 PM
moransbleedinghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper
.... is the typical everyone's against us view.

no it's not, I'm not for second claiming there is any sort of conspiracy against United, but the since Wenger got very vocal (mid last season he raised his level of moaning) about the nasty ruffians bullying his perfect little team, they are benefiting from a lot more sending offs than they did before that.

Their style of play is more likely to draw fouls in the box, so won't argue the penalty case.

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Happy Camper

Quote:
no it's not, I'm not for second claiming there is any sort of conspiracy against United, but the since Wenger got very vocal (mid last season he raised his level of moaning) about the nasty ruffians bullying his perfect little team, they are benefiting from a lot more sending offs than they did before that.

Their style of paly is more likely to draw fouls in the box.
You seem to be arguing against yourself to be honest.

From what i recall none of the decisions for Arsenal (penalties or red cards) were that outrageous this year, only the scale but like previous posters have said they're probably more likely to be fouled with their style of football.

I think sosme people forget the decisions we get, Neville being a prime example on Sunday.

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:36 PM
moransbleedinghead

Quote:
You seem to be arguing against yourself to be honest.

From what i recall none of the decisions for Arsenal (penalties or red cards) were that outrageous this year, only the scale but like previous posters have said they're probably more likely to be fouled with their style of football.

I think sosme people forget the decisions we get, Neville being a prime example on Sunday.

I'm not contesting the penalties claims, but it is noticabale that the number of sendings off against Arsenal has increased considerably, since Wenger increased his ranting druign last season, and that's what my point is. Decision's for and agianst United are irrelevant to my point.

However, saying as how a debate seems to be starting about decisions involving United I'll offer this .

Of Course we get decisions in our favour, Nev yesterday being a very good example, but how often do we end up playing against 10 men compared to Arsenal, or worse Liverpool during the season they finished second.

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Happy Camper

Quote:
I'm not contesting the penalties claims, but it is noticabale that the number of sendings off against Arsenal has increased considerably, since Wenger increased his ranting druign last season, and that's what my point is. Decision's for and agianst United are irrelevant to my point.

However, saying as how a debate seems to be starting about decisions involving United I'll offer this .

Of Course we get decisions in our favour, Nev yesterday being a very good example, but how often do we end up playing against 10 men compared to Arsenal, or worse Liverpool during the season they finished second.
Oh dear, going back a few years to highlight refereeing decisions is quite scary and definitely shows the type of 'everyone's against us' mentality i originally mentioned.

Some fans are ok with that to be honest pal, goes with the grain in general and definitely no offence intended. I'd rather be realistic though.

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Grimson

Quote:
I don't think that's it really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
If you try and walk the ball in, you're more likely to get penalties tbf.
I think it's that.

They do keep possession very well, so you're going to draw more fouls (and, logically, penalties and red cards) that way.

Unread 26-10-2010, 01:00 AM
moransbleedinghead

Quote:
Oh dear, going back a few years to highlight refereeing decisions is quite scary and definitely shows the type of 'everyone's against us' mentality i originally mentioned.

Some fans are ok with that to be honest pal, goes with the grain in general and definitely no offence intended. I'd rather be realistic though.
oh ffs, Arsenal have recently being the benficiaries of an unusually high number of sending off for opposition players, I contend that the refs are being "kinder" to Arsenal following Wenger's whingeing. Is it you contention that they just being lucky, or that they indeed the victims of nasty brutes?

What happens to United is irrelevant in this debate.

Unread 26-10-2010, 05:37 AM
borsuk

they've brought in chamakh and he's very good at 'winning' penalties. some of them have been ridiculously soft. it doesn't matter how much they pass the ball around, 9 in 13 games is silly.

even if teams play more physically against arsenal (not true imo) that would generally affect what happens outside the area in midfield battles and so on, not in the penalty area where players are leery of fouling, resulting in more red cards, not more penalties.

Unread 26-10-2010, 07:04 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
they've brought in chamakh and he's very good at 'winning' penalties. some of them have been ridiculously soft. it doesn't matter how much they pass the ball around, 9 in 13 games is silly.

even if teams play more physically against arsenal (not true imo) that would generally affect what happens outside the area in midfield battles and so on, not in the penalty area where players are leery of fouling, resulting in more red cards, not more penalties.
What do you make of Chamakh? He seems to lack something for me, thought he might be the answer to them as a top striker (Van Persie is always injured and I wouldn't say he's an out and out striker).

Unread 26-10-2010, 07:26 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Lies, damn lies and statistics. I don't think I have seen a penalty for Arsenal this season where I have thought that it was a horrific div,e the issue is that they place the ball around the box so much that eventually they are going to get them. When was the last time you saw an Arsenal play Playstation one in from 30 yards? They just don't do it they pass the ball to death instead.
You have to say as well that if winning penatlies is their game plan and they're only scoring two thirds of them then there's something wrong on the training pitch.

The red cards thing could very well be wenger's constant moaning but to be fair that is the way that he plays his mind games and its not like we can complain about a manager doing that.

Unread 26-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Switching Off

Granted the stat is high for anyone, but you'd expect them to be up there re pens for. Like that scouse woman on the old Sun ad, "90% of pens at OT are for the home team". No shit, get in our box more often then

Unread 26-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Argentina

The Joe Cole sending off was soft, but I think it's more the way football is going.

The USA 94 World Cup was where you just booked for a relatively bad tackle, now after this last World Cup, that same thing that would have drawn a yellow is getting a red a la Joe Cole's.

Even getting the ball isn't enough to avoid getting a red card

Unread 26-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Zorg

I think it's pretty obvious that attacking teams get more penalties.

That's why the ABU 'no-one ever gets a penalty at Old Trafford' claim is so stupid. Stick ten men behind the ball and defend and you won't get penalties. Attack, and you will - as teams often do, despite the claim.

Unread 26-10-2010, 08:22 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Granted the stat is high for anyone, but you'd expect them to be up there re pens for. Like that scouse woman on the old Sun ad, "90% of pens at OT are for the home team". No shit, get in our box more often then
it used to be more like, try getting out of your own half for a start.
Closed Thread