United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-05-2016, 10:57 PM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I think having one while Fergie was here could have made the transition a lot smoother. Basically a far more informed version of Gill on footballing matters. Fergie's chat about there being no midfielders out there who could improve us was a concern in the latter years. And presumably the director would have absolved him of the responsibility of choosing his successor. Probably could have done a better job of chatting up Pep than Fergie managed too

Monchi handles everything, including academy matters. I wonder if the rumours of Butt's position already being in doubt is related to this. Overall my criticism is not so much going after Monchi, just the idea that we are bringing in a total outsider to rebuild the club. As long as it gets done, I suppose. And there are a lack of ex reds you'd trust in such a role, sadly.

Michel, pal?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%ADchel_(footballer)
You mean an outsider like LvG

Unread 31-05-2016, 11:18 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaAndCoke
Well yeah, JM has significantly more experience of the PL at least

Unread 31-05-2016, 11:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaAndCoke
Er, yes. I've constantly made the point that he showed up and found barely a soul above him with a clue about the game. It was always a huge ask to expect him to totally rebuild the club, too

Ideally there's a meeting of various minds that help bring the club forward, including one or two familiar with English football. Rather than just basically handing the club to Monchi and saying "do what you did at Sevilla, pls pal" etc

It's an area English football is all over the shop tbf. All the money in the world and little clue how to run a club.

Unread 31-05-2016, 11:53 PM
jem

Quote:
It's an area English football is all over the shop tbf. All the money in the world and little clue how to run a club.
to be fair, we are slightly different.

all the debt in the world and little clue how to run a club.

Unread 01-06-2016, 01:56 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
I take it Monchi speaks English?
That's one advantage over pure

Unread 01-06-2016, 02:20 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Er, yes. I've constantly made the point that he showed up and found barely a soul above him with a clue about the game. It was always a huge ask to expect him to totally rebuild the club, too

Ideally there's a meeting of various minds that help bring the club forward, including one or two familiar with English football. Rather than just basically handing the club to Monchi and saying "do what you did at Sevilla, pls pal" etc

united didn't need to totally rebuild the club is the real point, but they [presumably] chose to bring lvg in to develop a medium to long term base from which to make appointment of his successor more straightforward, fully expecting that short term he'd find enough success to keep everyone happy.

if they get the benefit of the doubt on that, then how could they know that lvg would completely rip it up and end up failing even to get top 4?

facts are that there are people at united who have decades of experience of football and of united. a director of football might add something but it's more likely to just act as another layer of shite for the owners to hide behind.

the football structure at united is nothing remotely like the shambles it is - bizarrely - portrayed as, but it can be improved if mourinho gets his back room staff fully integrated with what's already there.

here's a chart of barcelona's current structure for comparison:

http://media2.fcbarcelona.com/media/...543.1464743412

Unread 01-06-2016, 07:58 AM
Billy Redface

It's OK, lads. Wood's got this

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...rting-director

Unread 01-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Let's take some of that article at its word:

We could have had Martial for less money if we'd have gone in for him earlier - as evidenced by the fact that Spurs were offered him for less...

Well they didn't buy him and we did. Give a shit how much he cost.
Spurs had a DOF. We didn't.

They've sacked him too. So Spudlingtons don't have a DOF, despite being early adopters of the continental structure, and they just had their most successful season for years.

That being said, it was their DOF who identified Pochetino. Also Dele Alli.

Unread 01-06-2016, 09:17 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Oh ffs

Unread 01-06-2016, 07:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
united didn't need to totally rebuild the club is the real point, but they [presumably] chose to bring lvg in to develop a medium to long term base from which to make appointment of his successor more straightforward, fully expecting that short term he'd find enough success to keep everyone happy.

if they get the benefit of the doubt on that, then how could they know that lvg would completely rip it up and end up failing even to get top 4?

facts are that there are people at united who have decades of experience of football and of united. a director of football might add something but it's more likely to just act as another layer of shite for the owners to hide behind.

the football structure at united is nothing remotely like the shambles it is - bizarrely - portrayed as, but it can be improved if mourinho gets his back room staff fully integrated with what's already there.

here's a chart of barcelona's current structure for comparison:

http://media2.fcbarcelona.com/media/...543.1464743412
I think you know I don't give them this much credit

I think they hired LvG because he was a big name, nothing more. I'm even unsure how committed they were to the Giggs succession. I suspect when he arrived and demonstrated such a wide perspective on the development of the club, they were surprised but pleased.

According to those who cover the club closely, the power base is now incredibly small. The Glazers and Woodward take some advice but basically make all the decisions. That essentially does mean, as it stands, that with new managers will come significant rebuilds.

Maybe Ferguson didn't need directors with input into footballing matters (whether the club would have benefited longer term is a different matter imo) but we now enter a stage in which we probably go through managers every few years like everyone else.

That's where a thread of stability from having football people who make various decisions comes in. You show the Barca structure, which is obviously inherently different anyway because it's full of people whose job is to please the fans, not line their own pockets. But there's football people in there, fans, and people who remain when managers change.

It doesn't have to be a Monchi, but a few people (I've liked the idea of Neville being involved, maybe after the Co92 have sunk of swam elsewhere ) who make smart decisions. So in January 2014 when Moyes is a few months from the sack, someone advises not to give Rooney a 5.5-year contract, or break the transfer record for Juan Mata. Or only does so confident that the next manager will find those players perfectly suitable to work with. But this is a club that went from Moyes, to LvG, to Mourinho. There's no plan at all.

Unread 01-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Sparky***

Ah, so it turns out that all this sporting director talk was a load of old %@#$&!s.

Who'd have thought.

Unread 01-06-2016, 07:11 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Ah, so it turns out that all this sporting director talk was a load of old %@#$&!s.

Who'd have thought.
Delighted to hear that we'll be relying on a combination of Mendes' shit@#%&!s and Woody's negotiating prowess.

Probably give Monaco £50m for Falcao and Moutinho next week..

Unread 01-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Delighted to hear that we'll be relying on a combination of Mendes' shit@#%&!s and Woody's negotiating prowess.

Nah mate. "Utd plotting £90m raid for Neymar"

Unread 01-06-2016, 07:15 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Nah mate. "Utd plotting £90m raid for Neymar"
Is he in the Mendes stable? They've spelt Newmar wrong..

Unread 01-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Rashnaldo

Mou should pay that 5M clause ASAP and call it a day, needs a transfer guru real bad right now to stand up to Pep.

Unread 01-06-2016, 08:38 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Some years back moutinho was a player that would've flourished under freggles

Unread 02-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Chris Quayd

Leaving Sevilla, not signed for anyone else yet despite rumours of Roma.

Unread 02-04-2017, 04:56 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Leaving Sevilla, not signed for anyone else yet despite rumours of Roma.
manchester would be his heaven.

Unread 02-04-2017, 05:11 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Would this mean utd would actually build a scouting network and perhaps spot the next big things/rising stars even before the journo's down at the guradrian?

I miss the halcyon days of fergal's brother laying them low all over Europe and South America
Closed Thread