United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-01-2019, 04:13 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
By contrast, Phil Jones has been here eight years and played 200 games.

When he joined, Rashford was 13.
Time to bin him was ages ago.

Might sound harsh but whenever i see him play for us i feel it is a perfect example of why we are where we are these days....

Unread 20-01-2019, 04:17 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

Might sound harsh but whenever i see him play for us i feel it is a perfect example of why we are where we are these days....
It takes a certain level of ineptitude to make you miss Chris Smalling, nqat.

Unread 20-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
yeah, i'm sure playing him out of position and throwing his hands in the air when he missed a chance really helped his development. let's hope ole uses that one, too.
It’s important to build resilience in a player. The entire youth system is based around the concept.

Unread 20-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
It’s important to build resilience in a player. The entire youth system is based around the concept.
are you saying rashford isn't resilient? or that mourinho's slapped-arse routine was all a clever ploy to build the resilience of the players?

Unread 20-01-2019, 04:50 PM
Bunker Buster

Cool

Quote:
are you saying rashford isn't resilient? or that mourinho's slapped-arse routine was all a clever ploy to build the resilience of the players?
New to Jammy..

Got Jose's juice permanently all over his face.....horrific fan boy

Unread 20-01-2019, 04:59 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
New to Jammy..

Got Jose's juice permanently all over his face.....horrific fan boy
I was full on mourinho-out by the end but i really do believe Rashford benefitted from having lvg and then mourinho as a manager. At the ripe age of 21 he has experienced several seasons in top flight football under two vastly different managers with vastly different approaches. JM gave Rashford a hell of a lot of trust and played him through some pretty poor spells, and we are now seeing a more rounded player hit a level of general consistency. Some players don't start hitting the form Rashford has been hitting lately until they're 24/25. I mean Lingard only started looking half decent around that age ffs. Natural ability will get you so far, minutes on the pitch are where you develop as a footballer and mourinho gave him plenty.

Unread 20-01-2019, 05:16 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
He didn't try to destroy him. He's just a shocking manager of this kind of player. The downturn in Rashford's form was an inevitable consequence of that @#%&! Mourinho's limitations, not something he went out of his way to impose.
Agree with this, I think Mou's handling of Rashford is as good as his youth development gets. He doesn't know how to coach players to improve other than to give them minutes and hope they do it themselves. Of the many failures of his reign the unwillingness to switch tactics, even towards the end of games in order to help us develop a plan b is an indictment, particularly as he had been successful earlier on in his career for doing just that.

Last season when Rom was out injured we carried on playing exactly the same way, briefly throwing Martial/Rashford up-front despite the fact that they are completely different players. It stinted the players development, cost us results and ultimately Mou his job yet he was incapable/unwilling to change it because he was never fully committed to the club.

Unread 20-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Red Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
I was full on mourinho-out by the end but i really do believe Rashford benefitted from having lvg and then mourinho as a manager. At the ripe age of 21 he has experienced several seasons in top flight football under two vastly different managers with vastly different approaches. JM gave Rashford a hell of a lot of trust and played him through some pretty poor spells, and we are now seeing a more rounded player hit a level of general consistency. Some players don't start hitting the form Rashford has been hitting lately until they're 24/25. I mean Lingard only started looking half decent around that age ffs. Natural ability will get you so far, minutes on the pitch are where you develop as a footballer and mourinho gave him plenty.
This.

Glad Mourinho kept him on and gave him games and didnt loan him out tbh

Unread 20-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
yeah, i'm sure playing him out of position and throwing his hands in the air when he missed a chance really helped his development. let's hope ole uses that one, too.
Tbf Fergie used to play young players out if position quite a bit. He played Welbeck in the first XI a few times for example.

Unread 20-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

Posted this the other week.

He’s managed 150-odd league games and isn’t far off a testimonial

Unread 20-01-2019, 05:32 PM
AK14

Quote:
Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Tbf Fergie used to play young players out if position quite a bit. He played Welbeck in the first XI a few times for example.

Unread 20-01-2019, 05:40 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Santos
This.

Glad Mourinho kept him on and gave him games and didnt loan him out tbh
Yeah, that was really good of him. Inherited the best young player in the country and kept him at the club. Priceless management.

Unread 20-01-2019, 06:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Yep I actually agree with this. Martial is an example of a player who mourinho was ruining. Rashford thrived under him in that he was given so much trust and a hell of a lot of minutes. Mourinho had many many issues at Utd but I don't think Rashford was one of them.
Correct, and no coincidence that Rashford's form actually improved in Mou's final days - even as the team was plummeting generally.

Unread 20-01-2019, 06:24 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yeah, that was really good of him. Inherited the best young player in the country and kept him at the club. Priceless management.

loving the snides in this thread, btw

Unread 21-01-2019, 10:30 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
He clearly is. It isn’t because he was molly coddled and indulged during his development. Fergie played youth players out of position all the time. It isn’t an issue that some try and make it because of mourinho.

Unread 21-01-2019, 11:13 AM
andyroo

Mourinho wasn't being a @#%&! to Rashford to improve him. He was being a @#%&! to him because he's a @#%&!.

Unread 21-01-2019, 11:18 AM
dunk

Often got the feeling Mourinho resented having to play Rashford, but knew he had to do something with regards to the top young English prospect in the Country and United's traditions of developing Youth players and he just put him in the team every week, out of position, regardless of form, as one in the eye to the club and fans.

Unread 21-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Often got the feeling Mourinho resented having to play Rashford, but knew he had to do something with regards to the top young English prospect in the Country
Yeah, of course. Makes sense.

Unread 21-01-2019, 08:00 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Often got the feeling Mourinho resented having to play Rashford, but knew he had to do something with regards to the top young English prospect in the Country and United's traditions of developing Youth players and he just put him in the team every week, out of position, regardless of form, as one in the eye to the club and fans.
Remember the "this is what happens when I have to play Rashford ahead of Lukaku" subbies? Shocking stuff.

Unread 21-01-2019, 08:12 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Remember the "this is what happens when I have to play Rashford ahead of Lukaku" subbies? Shocking stuff.
after one of the TWO back to back defeats against Brighton he presided over

incidentally had his boy Lukaku not missed a sitter against Brighton this season we might have gone on to win the game...or not lose it at least

Special Needs
Closed Thread