United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-10-2014, 09:59 AM
magic_cantona

Football Which defenders have you given up on, or just aren't good enough?

Out of the current squad, who do you think will never be good enough to be reliable, dependable and steady?

I've always been a Jones fence sitter but his show on Monday was appalling. Distribution especially. Rafa, I love the lad but I'm close to agreeing with those that label him a liability.

So, if you could get shut of the defensive dead wood in January and bring in realistic targets, who would they be?

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:00 AM
silv

You would be first to go.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:04 AM
guerreiro

Smalling
Evans
Blackett
McGrath

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:05 AM
The Watcher

Smalling is dire & needs to go. Evans has had plenty of chances to prove himself. Not good enough, despite his obvious talent. Jones has barely progressed since joining. McNair is probably the CB I have the most faith in atm

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:06 AM
dodger

Rafael is on very thin ice with me. If he hasn't got his shit together by the end of this season then we need to sign a better right back. Same goes for Jones.
They deserve a run in their proper positions for this sesaon but if they can't hack it, and that includes remaining fit, then they will have to become reserves.
Soz and that but that's how it is for me.
Rojo and shaw deserve more time to show what they can do than the above.
Evans and Smalling can £#%&! off.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:09 AM
elephantstone

Smalling, he is a liability. Evans, Jones and Rojo will all come good.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:11 AM
S/Side.Red

I'm going to give them more than a handful of games together before deciding, tbh.

Except Smalling, who has always been shit.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:17 AM
believe

Shaw

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:18 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Smalling is dire & needs to go. Evans has had plenty of chances to prove himself. Not good enough, despite his obvious talent. Jones has barely progressed since joining. McNair is probably the CB I have the most faith in atm
Sad state of affairs when this statement is spot on.

Saying that Rafael really helped him through those games, Jones returns & Rafael no longer has to be babysit the defender next to him and he costs us a goal. :shakehead:

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I'm going to give them more than a handful of games together before deciding, tbh.

Except Smalling, who has always been shit.

If we played the same back 4 for as many games as we can going forward, they'd surely only get a lot better, & you'd think quickly as well given they are all young(ish). Evans is ideal backup material, Blackett & McNair deserve a few years to push their way in.

Realistically if there was a world class centre back out there that is a renowned leader, organiser & general class act. Buy him. Buy him now.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:20 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Rafael is on very thin ice with me. If he hasn't got his shit together by the end of this season then we need to sign a better right back. Same goes for Jones.
They deserve a run in their proper positions for this sesaon but if they can't hack it, and that includes remaining fit, then they will have to become reserves.
Soz and that but that's how it is for me.
Rojo and shaw deserve more time to show what they can do than the above.
Evans and Smalling can £#%&! off.
Log out son.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:20 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Log out son.
care to explain?

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:26 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
care to explain?
Need I bother? Nothing wrong with either side just the middle that needs sorting.

Rafael has been terrific this season.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Withers

Completely-

Smalling
Evans

Worried about-

Rojo
Jones
Rafael
Shaw

Too early to tell-

McNair
Blackett

Not one of them fills me with 100% confidence.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:27 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
Completely-

Smalling
Evans

Worried about-

Rojo
Jones
Rafael
Shaw

Too early to tell-

McNair
Blackett

Not one of them fills me with 100% confidence.

Joke of a post, he's played less than 5 games FFS.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:28 AM
vangaalsbigballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
Smalling, he is a liability. Evans, Jones and Rojo will all come good.
£#%&! me he is 27. When will he come good? He is shit. end of. An absolute £#%&!ing fanny. Bin him.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:34 AM
S/Side.Red

People going overboard on Rojo and Jones atm. Rojo in particular made several good interceptions on Monday and the way they both push up will help us in the long term once LvG gets the 'physical balance' right. At the moment they need better help from the team.

Young back four gelling together playing a high line with insufficient protection/support from midfield. Give them a break.

[SIZE="1"]May need a worldy back there by next summer.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:35 AM
vangaalsbigballs

Quote:
People going overboard on Rojo and Jones atm. Rojo in particular made several good interceptions on Monday and the way they both push up will help us in the long term once we have a more mobile midfield. At the moment they need better help from the team.

Young back four gelling together playing a high line with insufficient protection/support from midfield. Give them a break.

[SIZE="1"]May need a worldy back there by next summer.
next summer will be late. We ain't making top 4 with these clowns at the back.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:36 AM
vangaalsbigballs

Quote:
Highly criticised early doors, wasn't he? Looked suspect in the World Cup and got some early chasings off Arsenal.
works the other way too... Howard looked like Kahn early doors but then proved he was an absolute dud.

Unread 22-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Withers

Quote:
Highly criticised early doors, wasn't he? Looked suspect in the World Cup and got some early chasings off Arsenal.
One charity shield against Anelka.

Us sages knew he was a beast from day one though.
Closed Thread