United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-07-2022, 10:04 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
not the latter.

I have watched from the start. because it's football. I have watched games not featuring england (eg: I watched sweden v belgium, as indicated above). I am interested to see the improvements. keepers have always been shocking, but not so bad here. except lindahl last night.

Fair enough. I've given it a chance - hard not to with the BBC ramming it down your neck - but it's just so slooooow. It's like sunday league but with less two footed challenges. Each to their own.

Regardless, as with the men's team, hope england get absolutely battered in the final. Especially if it's against Germany.

Unread 27-07-2022, 11:53 AM
wiganste

It's not for me Jeff but fair play to the women

I can cope with these winning it more than the men because they're @#%&!s.

Shame Sweden went out though, some right sorts in their squad. Maybe they'll do a nude calendar to keep us happy?

Unread 27-07-2022, 12:11 PM
ragnorak

Found it too slow and they looked at times like the pitch was a bit big for them, not for me Geoff sorry. Did like all the blond bobbing pony tails though, invigorating stuff.

Overall, 6 out of 10.

Unread 27-07-2022, 12:13 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
It's not for me Jeff but fair play to the women

I can cope with these winning it more than the men because they're @#%&!s.

Shame Sweden went out though, some right sorts in their squad. Maybe they'll do a nude calendar to keep us happy?

Good point tbf and I might have to rethink that. The men's team are populated by and followed by, for the most part, complete #@&%!s. Unsure about the women's.

Unread 27-07-2022, 12:15 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Good point tbf and I might have to rethink that. The men's team are populated by and followed by, for the most part, complete #@&%!s. Unsure about the women's.
Suspect it's mostly Hugos and Penelopes

Unread 27-07-2022, 12:17 PM
sweetleftfoot

The young lady who scored the back heel plays for United.

Busby Babe indeed

Unread 27-07-2022, 06:36 PM
no fun

Lead story on ITN news

This country

Unread 27-07-2022, 06:52 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
The young lady who scored the back heel plays for United.

Busby Babe indeed
as does the keeper.

not the shit one.

Unread 28-07-2022, 09:00 AM
windy waffles

Talk of a bank holiday if they win it.

The government have, rightly, laughed this one off.

Unread 28-07-2022, 09:42 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Just goes to show, you can package anything and sell it to the masses. The ramping of this very minor sport to the level they have exposes the fact that if you keep repeating something enough people start believing it

Birdball* is like watching women fighting in a pub, they really are just not very good at it.

*liked that one

PS. Nothing against it if people enjoy it, just let's stop pretending that this is elite sport

Unread 28-07-2022, 10:24 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Birdball* .

*liked that one
postmodern irony. unlike ste's swedish calendar.

Unread 28-07-2022, 10:47 AM
no fun

Quote:

Birdball* is like watching women fighting in a pub, they really are just not very good at it.
You’ve obviously never been in the Newall on New Year’s Eve

Unread 28-07-2022, 11:02 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Just goes to show, you can package anything and sell it to the masses. The ramping of this very minor sport to the level they have exposes the fact that if you keep repeating something enough people start believing it

*liked that one

PS. Nothing against it if people enjoy it, just let's stop pretending that this is elite sport
It’s almost as if it’s “ the mens game is making that much coverage and money , why aren’t we?”

It’s simple , there is nowhere near the same interest for it. You can’t force interest. You have to let it grow naturally. The mens game had over a 100 years of growth and development.

The other thing is, it’s difficult to get devoted to mutiple teams to the same level fans are with the mens. To actively follow the ins and outs of another football team , people just don’t have the time. Most barely have the time for United

I wouldn’t mind the media coverage building it up and shining a light on it , but they act as if it’s a front level sport. It’s not.

Mens cricket, rugby , the f1 , tennis are still much more popular.

Surprised there’s no backlash of someone calling sexism wrt to bank holiday.

Let the sport grow naturally and it will improve bit by bit. Open doors and opportunities for young girls to get into the sport. Give them role models. Introduce better coaching .

Dont however force it and try to compare it to other sports when it just isn’t.

Saw a comparison recently of englands top scorers , it had Rooney ,Kane and one of the womens players as top 3

Has logic and common sense gone out the window?

Unread 28-07-2022, 01:06 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
You’ve obviously never been in the Newall on New Year’s Eve
Thankfully not, but you know what I mean, it's the football equivalent of pulling hair, scratching and ripping each other's blouses. The whole over-promotion of it as an elite sport is just bs and a con.

And it should have separate pages on the football pages, Womens Football, for those who are interested.

Unread 28-07-2022, 03:55 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Thankfully not, but you know what I mean, it's the football equivalent of pulling hair, scratching and ripping each other's blouses. The whole over-promotion of it as an elite sport is just bs and a con.

And it should have separate pages on the football pages, Womens Football, for those who are interested.
Definitely. I think they're going for click figures based on accidental clicks from "Arsenal sign new striker" headlines to try and claim it's more popular than it really is.

They were trying to sell that fourth goal like it was close to Beckham's v Wimbledon ffs. No need to, they did very well, just market it for what it is.

Unread 28-07-2022, 04:19 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Definitely. I think they're going for click figures based on accidental clicks from "Arsenal sign new striker" headlines to try and claim it's more popular than it really is.

They were trying to sell that fourth goal like it was close to Beckham's v Wimbledon ffs. No need to, they did very well, just market it for what it is.
That's where I'm at, my daughter loves it (and I'm glad) as there is of course a place for Women's football, it's just nowhere near the top sport in the world. Fair £#%&!s to anyone who wants to follow it, enjoy, but can we stop the pretence that it is anything like, or even related to, the real game.

I prefer women's tennis to mens for all kinds of reasons, but the women's game in football is nowhere near that level atm.
Closed Thread