out 17 17.35%
in 81 82.65%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:33 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
If we only won the League Cup this season Ole would still get criticised but he needs a trophy and should have had 1-2 more in the squad last night.
I don't think he would. He needs a trophy to install the winning mentality into some these players and for himself as a manager.

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:36 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
I don't think he would. He needs a trophy to install the winning mentality into some these players and for himself as a manager.
He would. They media wouldn't even count it and be criticising him.

But we needed to try and win it. Just think next week dictated his squad last night. Despite our good squad do you really fancy us to win one if the big trophies? FA Cup ok we have a chance but I still don't fancy us to win it.

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:37 AM
believe

Quote:
If we only won the League Cup this season Ole would still get criticised but he needs a trophy and should have had 1-2 more in the squad last night.
I disagree if it was coupled with making a real challenge for the title. If you win either then league cup or FA cup and finish sixth or even second 10-15 points behind the winner then that’s not progress.

I just keep looming back at our most successful seasons and you just see how that momentum carried us through, even the wins in cup games. We come off the back of such an amazing high at the weekend and now it feels deflated and we go on to the weekend on the back of a loss. I just think it’s that mentality we need to change.

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:39 AM
shenwen

Aside from picking and not subbing Martial and maybe the inclusion of Mata, I don't think the loss is on Ole. I maintain that side was good enough to get a win at home. We had an 80m signing on the pitch ffs. Just didn't happen.

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:39 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I don't think anyone is disregarding the competition - we put out a decent team on paper and got beat. It's not like we threw in our U23s.

But also not right to say it's a waste of time. If that was true, why try so hard the previous seasons? A decent run would be good for fringe players. And a trophy of any kind is always better than nothing.

But we tried, we got beat and we are out. Time to move on.
This. Just because we lost doesn’t mean we didn’t try or disregarded it. We worked hard, we were worth a goal or two i thought, we didn’t get them. It happens.

If we go full throttle at this, then people moan that we’re burning players out and we should have higher ambitions, but when we do use the squad and narrowly lose to a top six side then it’s our best chance of a trophy gone.

Big scalps drop out this stage all the time. We’ve had a good run in it in recent years, this year wasn’t one of them.

Nobody will give a shit about this by Saturday afternoon.

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:49 AM
puressence

love the fans predicting outcomes of games ... they never learn EVER .. the team did more than enough to win that comfortably last night .

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:54 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
love the fans predicting outcomes of games ... they never learn EVER .. the team did more than enough to win that comfortably last night .
Not that difficult to predict the outcome of a game the day after tbf.

Unread 23-09-2021, 08:05 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
He would. They media wouldn't even count it and be criticising him.

But we needed to try and win it. Just think next week dictated his squad last night. Despite our good squad do you really fancy us to win one if the big trophies? FA Cup ok we have a chance but I still don't fancy us to win it.
No I don't and that's why this cup was one of our best chances of winning.

Saying that, this is our bests chance of winning a trophy we have had since Jose's first season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Aside from picking and not subbing Martial and maybe the inclusion of Mata, I don't think the loss is on Ole. I maintain that side was good enough to get a win at home. We had an 80m signing on the pitch ffs. Just didn't happen.
He said himself if a team has a 'low block', we can't win essentially.

It is on him for not having more tactics up his sleeve.

Quote:
We didn't win though. That's the issue.

Unread 23-09-2021, 08:25 AM
NedKelly

I think the league is our best chance of silverware tbh. Our inconsistency costs us more in the cups - at least in the league we can afford a couple of £#%&! ups so long as we respond well.

Unread 23-09-2021, 09:58 AM
AK14

He needs a shake up with the coaches he has imo

A tactical assistant and someone who’ll stand on the touch line and fire a rocket up the players backside when we’re letting games drift us by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I think the league is our best chance of silverware tbh. Our inconsistency costs us more in the cups - at least in the league we can afford a couple of £#%&! ups so long as we respond well.
Yep, I agree. League is where we’ll mount the best challenge and I still think we’ll be a bit and hit and miss until around Christmas or just after and then go on a crazy run.

Unread 23-09-2021, 10:04 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I find it difficult to believe that the likes of Tuchel, Klopp and Pep disregarding the league cup as too little a trophy to win, even Ferguson prioritized it during leaner periods.

We need to win a trophy it’s as simple as that and remarkably, the more you go out of the less likely it is you’ll win one.
Klopp literally has with the league cup and FA Cup ever since he arrived in England tbh.

Unread 23-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
someone who’ll stand on the touch line and fire a rocket up the players backside when we’re letting games drift us by..
Aka The manager...

Unread 23-09-2021, 10:54 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Aka The manager...

Well…

Unread 23-09-2021, 11:37 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Aka The manager...
True.

There seems to be a train of thought we need a world class squad and world class coaches but….

Unread 23-09-2021, 12:18 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Except they didn’t. They lost.

Unread 23-09-2021, 12:38 PM
Dr Stranger

The amount of scrutiny for every word he says is getting ridiculous.

“We had a go”

Oh, so that’s good enough now for man United???

No. Nobody is saying that. It’s a post-match throw away comment. And they did have a go. They had a go and didn’t score. They made 11 changes and narrowly lost to a top six side. It happens. There sometimes isn’t much to look into and I think this is one of those times.

We had a go. That’s all he said. It means nothing.

Unread 23-09-2021, 12:49 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
The amount of scrutiny for every word he says is getting ridiculous.

“We had a go”

Oh, so that’s good enough now for man United???

No. Nobody is saying that. It’s a post-match throw away comment. And they did have a go. They had a go and didn’t score. They made 11 changes and narrowly lost to a top six side. It happens. There sometimes isn’t much to look into and I think this is one of those times.

We had a go. That’s all he said. It means nothing.
That’s not all he said though... he identified where we struggle against teams, which is concerning because if he’s aware of the issue, why has nothing been done to change it?

Unread 23-09-2021, 01:14 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
That’s not all he said though... he identified where we struggle against teams, which is concerning because if he’s aware of the issue, why has nothing been done to change it?
He said he's going to address it.

27 chances, definite penalty not given, again. Plus Martial on the pitch. He's not like Jose, he doesn't park the bus or throw players under it.

Unread 23-09-2021, 01:26 PM
dinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
He said he's going to address it.

27 chances, definite penalty not given, again. Plus Martial on the pitch. He's not like Jose, he doesn't park the bus or throw players under it.
So, He knows we struggle against a deep defence, he knows we cant just start slinging crosses in so now after us repeatedly doing both those things for a couple of seasons, now he's decided he's gonna address it? Has he been keeping some secret tactics whiteboard in a cupboard that's going to fix this?

Unread 23-09-2021, 01:28 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Again, no it isn’t. We’re jumping ahead again. Why are we assuming nothing is being done? Where does it say that this is something he’s only just noticed? Is he not just saying we shouldn’t have slung crosses into the box if that isn’t a strength? If you wanted, you could say it’s refreshingly honest, If he says we play well when we haven’t - he gets shit. If he points out what we don’t do well - he gets shit.

Every little utterance is turned into something that is a ‘concern’. People generally read far too much into comments made pre match, post-match or whatever. There’s a little quote extracted and stuck onto Twitter and we all go “ooh, that’s a concern”.
Closed Thread