United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Mr_Ed

Default Nicky Butt and Phil Nez

In the right place at the right time or great footballers?

I'd go with the former... Carried by better players IMHO.

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Terry Silver

Both were apparently a class apart in the youth team.

Butt was captain and a goalscoring midfielder.

P Nev was rated ahead of G Nev in terms of ability.

At the top level, however, both were shite and were found out as soon as they were £#%&!ed off.

Wesley Brown has already been found out so £#%&! knows how shite he'd end up looking if he £#%&!ed off.

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
In the right place at the right time or great footballers?

I'd go with the former... Carried by better players IMHO.

Neither of the above

Both very good footballers who played at a golden time for United

Pip was surplus to requirements, left and was quickly made Everton captain by Moyes

Butt left to an average team and was by far their main man in midfield. Still well appreciated by the shirtless ones

You seem spiteful and peevish!

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:17 AM
tatty

They were decent enough players although Butt in particular always struck me as being too lightweight for the role he wanted to play.

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling
You seem spiteful and peevish!
Not really. I was watching Pip against Chelsea tonight and he reminded me in his tackling of the game against Arsenal at OT in 2002. However his passing was woeful and it got me thinking.

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:20 AM
schnitzel

Thought they were both great footballers especially for us.

Nicky Butt as continued to do well, as has Phil.

Don't think it was easy for them as squad players.

Some of the greatest games in that golden period featured one or the other.

Nicky Butt played well in the 99 Euro final and who can forget Phil's sterling performance against Arsenal were he had Viera in his pocket.

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:20 AM
£#%&! KFC

didn't mind Neville P as a squad player but Butt was/is £#%&!in gash

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:21 AM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzel
Thought they were both great footballers especially for us.

Nicky Butt as continued to do well, as has Phil.

Don't think it was easy for them as squad players.

Nicky Butt played well in the 99 Euro final and who can forget Phil's sterling performance against Arsenal were he had Viera in his pocket.
he had plenty of games where he was shite....that was defo a rarity albeit an excellent display

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Terry Silver

If you can't pass, as a midfielder, you are just waiting to be found out.

You can get away with it if you are the only one of 10 outfielders who is scared of the ball, but once you are put in a team full of cloggers - who all expect you to be class as you once won the Treble - you will be found out as a bluffer.

For the record I've never seen a United player more frightened of the ball than Wesley Brown. And he has good reason to be scared of it as it shows him up for the donkey he is.

I'm off to bed.

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzel

Yes, I remember Butt's goal against Leeds and Phil tripping Parlour in the semi final in 99

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:22 AM
shadowplay

Butt started off promising, but ultimately, he was and still is desperately poor most of the time.Pip is honest and hard-working, but so are a number of other players lower down the league.

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Butt started off promising, but ultimately, he was and still is desperately poor most of the time.Pip is honest and hard-working, but so are a number of other players lower down the league.

Butt is 33, Pip is 31 nearly 32

Nicky Butt gave his all whilst competing with probably our best ever defensive midfielder for one position! Keanes dominance meant he was sidelined a lot of the time, yet when he moved on he was instantly a first choice!

Pip didn't know wether he was coming or going for the last few years, left mid, left back, right back!

Goes to Everton and within 3 months is the captain and their most solid player! Hard working... Of course he is

To compare him to 'many other' hard working players 'lower down the leagues' is £#%&!ing nonsense and as I said before peevish

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:44 AM
schnitzel

Yeah, they had shit games and couldn't pass more than 10 yards.

Nicky Butt or Kleberson or Djemba Djemba or Hargreaves (I have only put Hargreaves in because of the shit he has been taking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Yes, I remember Butt's goal against Leeds and Phil tripping Parlour in the semi final in 99
I remember Phil for the cross for Cantona at St James's Park where we were under the cosh and Eric smashed the ball home, Phil was very young then and played well and that destroyed Newcastle. [SIZE="1"](wish there was a £#%&! off back smiley)

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:50 AM
shadowplay

Quote:
Butt is 33, Pip is 31 nearly 32

Nicky Butt gave his all whilst competing with probably our best ever defensive midfielder for one position! Keanes dominance meant he was sidelined a lot of the time, yet when he moved on he was instantly a first choice!
He did, and whilst his attitude was terrific in doing-so, it doesn't take away from any liabilities that he had.Apart from perhaps having good energy and ruffling a few feathers, what other qualities did he have at United?

His passing was, and always has been utter gash.He never one an outstanding quality, and was mediocre at best.

Quote:
Pip didn't know wether he was coming or going for the last few years, left mid, left back, right back!

Goes to Everton and within 3 months is the captain and their most solid player! Hard working... Of course he is

To compare him to 'many other' hard working players 'lower down the leagues' is £#%&!ing nonsense and as I said before peevish

Again, he was good at what he was told to do, but a slightly above average player at best.Works his %@#$&!s off, does Phil, but so do a lot of other players.I'm not comparing them to the rest, as they were United, and in their own way, played roles in one of our greatest ever sides, but they most certainly weren't anything but slightly above average footballers.

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:50 AM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
didn't mind Neville P as a squad player but Butt was/is £#%&!in gash
let it go kev, let it go

phil earned his crust at united, obviously having veira in his pocket was one of his best achievements, he never shirked and played with pride

Unread 18-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
Both were apparently a class apart in the youth team.

Butt was captain and a goalscoring midfielder.

P Nev was rated ahead of G Nev in terms of ability.

At the top level, however, both were shite and were found out as soon as they were £#%&!ed off.

Wesley Brown has already been found out so £#%&! knows how shite he'd end up looking if he £#%&!ed off.
I really don't know how to answer this other than all of it is wrong.

Apart from the first 3 lines. So basically the last 2 lines.

Unread 18-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:

At the top level, however, both were shite and were found out as soon as they were £#%&!ed off
Nou Camp top level?

Quote:
Quite right! He's only done a job for us all season

Unread 18-04-2008, 01:08 AM
billy_costigan

both cracking squad players at united both done well since leaving(though butt took his time) personnaly i would have liked phil to stay i can fully understand why he left.

Unread 18-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Butt started off promising, but ultimately, he was desperately poor most of the time.
What a load of shite. Butt never let us down. Was never the greatest player going, we all know that. But he would never have made nearly 300 appearances during our most successful period ever if he was 'desperately poor'.

Phil Nev, a Manc, was made captain of a £#%&!ing scouse club after a couple of seasons. Got found out when he left us though apparently

What a bunch of ungrateful @#%&!s you lot are.

Unread 18-04-2008, 01:12 AM
schnitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether

What a bunch of ungrateful @#%&!s you lot are.
Well said.
Closed Thread