United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic

Unread 28-05-2020, 10:28 PM
zanzare

Two christmases back, ordered a festive jumper for the lad off some gun club site on youtube. $30 ish, in november.
Fortunately it was a surprise present because when it arrived in February with a 25 euro surcharge for entering the EU, it was too small, and the date embroidered into the logo made sure it couldn't be used the following chrimbo.
So, roughly £45 for f*** all.

Happy days.

Unread 02-06-2020, 11:50 PM
HarkNowHear

No further updates. Maybe down the trousers of a protester.

Irrespective of its whereabouts, I want my parcel

Unread 03-06-2020, 12:11 AM
armchair

welcome to the world of drop shipping.

Unread 03-06-2020, 09:30 AM
HarkNowHear

Update from Royal Mail

ĎSender preparing itemí

Unread 08-06-2020, 09:12 AM
HarkNowHear

Fuming

The package is at my local post office.

I have to pay before they will deliver.

Import vat @ £40
Handling charge @ £8

The item only cost $80

Madness

My bargain buy

How the bloody hell do they work those figures out?

Unread 08-06-2020, 09:32 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
Fuming

The package is at my local post office.

I have to pay before they will deliver.

Import vat @ £40
Handling charge @ £8

The item only cost $80

Madness

My bargain buy

How the bloody hell do they work those figures out?
Should have bought it from an EU country

What is it? Tariffs can be quite high, but 50% does seem a little excessive

Just found this on a US government website.

Quote:
Customs duty is assessed on the fair market value of imported goods at the time they are landed in the UK. Import prices for products entering the UK from non-EU states generally consist of: Cost, Insurance, Freight and Duty, with standard VAT of 20% levied on the aggregate value.
So they don't care what you actually paid, duty is calculated on someone's idea of a fair price.

Last edited by red red robbo; 08-06-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Unread 08-06-2020, 10:13 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Should have bought it from an EU country

What is it? Tariffs can be quite high, but 50% does seem a little excessive

Just found this on a US government website.

So they don't care what you actually paid, duty is calculated on someone's idea of a fair price.

Itís 2 Rock Star figures. I know they can fetch silly money and thought Iíd copped a bargain. Guess Iím still just in positive equity with the charges but £40 is excessive on an $80 purchase. Had they been a couple of ton Id perhaps consider it about right. Gonna have to take it on the chins ......

Unread 08-06-2020, 10:24 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
Itís 2 Rock Star figures. I know they can fetch silly money and thought Iíd copped a bargain. Guess Iím still just in positive equity with the charges but £40 is excessive on an $80 purchase. Had they been a couple of ton Id perhaps consider it about right. Gonna have to take it on the chins ......
You have to pay import duty and then VAT on top and then the charge is for someone having to deal with all this shit on this end.

By the way people, welcome to the future of buying shit from another 27 countries as of next year.

Unread 08-06-2020, 06:11 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Sounds totally reasonable and uncontroversial

Unread 10-06-2020, 04:50 PM
HarkNowHear

They arrived, what a palaver. Iím a happy boy now.