United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-08-2022, 06:28 PM
armchair

The thing about us getting more column inches than the current big teams is lag. The media turns like a supertanker. Most journos/media are from a time when United were dominant so they are still churning out United stories even if most of the audience is probably more interested in City/Liverpool. As those journos/editors are replaced so will the United coverage. It just takes a while.

Unread 16-08-2022, 07:16 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Our biggest rivals that year were Villa and Norwich so, yeah, were not winning it...
Lovely bit of football snobbery from Captain shit for brains.
Norwich and Villa were very good teams. Come off the back of Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton dominating the old division one (not mentioning Leeds the @#%&!s)

Norwich went on to beat Bayern Munich on their own pitch, something we have never done. Villa denied us the domestic treble in 94

Both teams played brilliant attacking football and deserved to be challenging. Then Blackburn came along, then the proper test was arsenal.

But to dismiss Norwich and Villa like that shows that you know little about the game

Unread 16-08-2022, 07:19 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Lovely bit of football snobbery from Captain shit for brains.
Norwich and Villa were very good teams. Come off the back of Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton dominating the old division one (not mentioning Leeds the @#%&!s)

Norwich went on to beat Bayern Munich on their own pitch, something we have never done. Villa denied us the domestic treble in 94

Both teams played brilliant attacking football and deserved to be challenging. Then Blackburn came along, then the proper test was arsenal.

But to dismiss Norwich and Villa like that shows that you know little about the game
Bit harsh ste. Captain Shit for Brains, though.

Well aware of how good they were. Point being football is a whole different animal now. We could afford to have that shit start and manage to win the league. Now you have the title winners getting 100 points every year. If you have a shit start, and lose a few games, you ain't winning the title.

Remember Villa, and Dalian Atkinson, always being the thorn in our side.

Unread 16-08-2022, 07:21 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
The thing about us getting more column inches than the current big teams is lag. The media turns like a supertanker. Most journos/media are from a time when United were dominant so they are still churning out United stories even if most of the audience is probably more interested in City/Liverpool. As those journos/editors are replaced so will the United coverage. It just takes a while.
Dunno about that.

I was getting messages from Leeds fans who were on holiday after Saturdays defeat. They were delighted even though they threw a 2 goal lead away. Most fans seem to get more pleasure out of us doing shit than their own teams.

It's been ingrained into them, passed down a generation from £#%&!wit dad's who lapped up the shit Hancock, McGrath and Hurst served up in the 90's and the horseshit Baddiel and Skinner came out with.

We still here the tired old "all your fans are from Surrey" from loads of brain-dead gobshites.

£#%&! them all anyway, we'll be back eventually

Quote:
Bit harsh ste. Captain Shit for Brains, though.

Well aware of how good they were. Point being football is a whole different animal now. We could afford to have that shit start and manage to win the league. Now you have the title winners getting 100 points every year. If you have a shit start, and lose a few games, you ain't winning the title.

Remember Villa, and Dalian Atkinson, always being the thorn in our side.
Who wants to see 2 teams getting close to 100 points every season? The competitiveness has gone. It's a shit.

Unread 16-08-2022, 07:22 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
1992-93 season, we were bottom of the league after 2 losses. 3rd game was a draw & put us in 20th place (out of 22).

Now, there's no way we're winning the league but I think we need to wait a few more games before totally throwing in the towel.
It will improve. There’s clearly a hangover from last season, serious hard work and determination is required and Erik will force them there eventually.

Unread 16-08-2022, 07:22 PM
windy waffles

I agree with you.

Didn't three of four points separate us and Norwich in third?

Much more entertaining back then.

Unread 16-08-2022, 08:43 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It will improve. There’s clearly a hangover from last season, serious hard work and determination is required and Erik will force them there eventually.
And a new GK

Unread 16-08-2022, 08:53 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
I agree with you.

Didn't three of four points separate us and Norwich in third?

Much more entertaining back then.
Utd 84
Villa 74
Norwich 72
B'burn 71
QPR 63

Unread 16-08-2022, 09:47 PM
browser

Someone told me today that in the last 8 months only 2 prem teams had fewer points than us.

Relegation fodder.

Look at how we are scratching around in the dirt for players with 2 weeks of a window left, the manager has been confirmed since April and the board have known his assessment of the squad and his list of targets. They’ve failed in moving people on and failed in providing the cash for him to sign who he needs.

We’re skint. We took a loan out to pay our bills last season ffs.

Now we’re flailing around getting linked with every mediocre player in Europe who wants a move or a new contract. We’re a laughing stock and it’s all a result of the last 15 years of incompetence.

Just grateful we haven’t done an all or nothing series, being able to witness it first hand would be too much to bear.

Unread 16-08-2022, 11:04 PM
MUFC One Love

It's nothing compared to this obviously but we didn't win the league from 03 until 07 and we were crap in between. Our squad looked bang average and people wanted Fergie out.

That photo that always gets posted from the FA Cup final penalties in 05 with Keane, Rio etc. We lost.

Just annoys me when people talk like every single year under Fergie was fantastic.

Unread 16-08-2022, 11:13 PM
dunk

Tbf we £#%&!ing battered Arsenal that day, should’ve been 4/5-0.

Unread 16-08-2022, 11:18 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
It's nothing compared to this obviously but we didn't win the league from 03 until 07 and we were crap in between. Our squad looked bang average and people wanted Fergie out.

That photo that always gets posted from the FA Cup final penalties in 05 with Keane, Rio etc. We lost.

Just annoys me when people talk like every single year under Fergie was fantastic.
If that period was crap god knows what adjective would be appropriate for this period

Unread 16-08-2022, 11:47 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love

Won the league in 2003.
Finished 3rd and won the fa cup in 2004.
Finished 3rd in 2005, battered Arsenal in the fa cup final and lost on penalties.
Finished 2nd and won the league cup in 2006.
Won the league in 2007.

Unread 17-08-2022, 12:16 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Won the league in 2003.
Finished 3rd and won the fa cup in 2004.
Finished 3rd in 2005, battered Arsenal in the fa cup final and lost on penalties.
Finished 2nd and won the league cup in 2006.
Won the league in 2007.

Bad times.

Unread 17-08-2022, 09:17 AM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Bad times.
I was considering Chelsea at this time I must admit.

Unread 17-08-2022, 12:32 PM
Sparky***

I’m surprised more people aren’t enjoying it tbh. As all the top reds were adamant about 15 years ago that a good few years of being shit would “get rid of the day trippers”. Well how’s that worked out?

Unread 17-08-2022, 12:34 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I’m surprised more people aren’t enjoying it tbh. As all the top reds were adamant about 15 years ago that a good few years of being shit would “get rid of the day trippers”. Well how’s that worked out?
You going Monday ?

Unread 17-08-2022, 12:38 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Always a bit of complacency I think. Trace it right back to singing 20 times whenever we were losing under Moyes. Wasn’t really much “rage” was there .. think it was seen as a novelty that would soon pass. At least the boos have come out a bit more now & obv the protest sentiment being ramped up. That complacency seemed to have dribbled its way into some this summer too amidst the thought of ETH being a quick fix but now firmly being stamped out

Unread 17-08-2022, 12:44 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
You going Monday ?

Unread 17-08-2022, 01:51 PM
HarkNowHear

We made the back page headlines when we had our season in the old Div 2. We were on tele as much as the teams topping the 1st Div. Our fan base remained better than ever. This on the back of being proper poo for a few seasons. It's United, the club every other club can dream of being.
Closed Thread