United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-07-2023, 04:34 PM
moransbleedinghead

I think this stat is wrong, Albiston is the closest, but at best,would only have been a youth team player when Busby returned briefly in 71.

So if you're counting youth team players, then Rashford would be keeping the link going.

Unread 11-07-2023, 04:36 PM
oohahhpaulmcgrath

Sammy Mcllroy And then Bryan Robson are the players who bridged the gap between fergie and Busby.

Unread 11-07-2023, 04:54 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohahhpaulmcgrath
Sammy Mcllroy And then Bryan Robson are the players who bridged the gap between fergie and Busby.
Rep 👍

Unread 11-07-2023, 08:14 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by moransbleedinghead
I think this stat is wrong, Albiston is the closest, but at best,would only have been a youth team player when Busby returned briefly in 71.

So if you're counting youth team players, then Rashford would be keeping the link going.
Signed as an apprentice a year after Busby left.

Unread 11-07-2023, 08:40 PM
Ethers

It’s a very tenuous stat at best.

Unread 11-07-2023, 10:23 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
When we kick off the new season, it will be the first time in 88 years that we have no players who have played for either Sir Matt Busby or Sir Alex Ferguson.

First time since 1934-35 season.
Am I missing something? Thought Sir Matt took the reigns in 1945. So everyone in 1934/35 was still there in 1945?

Unread 11-07-2023, 10:48 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
Am I missing something? Thought Sir Matt took the reigns in 1945. So everyone in 1934/35 was still there in 1945?
No, only one player needs to be. One player who would play under Busby at some point. Then one player who would play under Fergie at some point.

Unread 11-07-2023, 11:12 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
No, only one player needs to be. One player who would play under Busby at some point. Then one player who would play under Fergie at some point.
But between 34 and 44 no one played under Busby. So a bit of a weird premise …. you may give Ferguson credit for players remaining beyond his tenure, but to give credit to Busby for those that were there 10 years before him? I’ve said it before and will no doubt say it again, but journalism these days ….

Unread 12-07-2023, 07:34 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
But between 34 and 44 no one played under Busby. So a bit of a weird premise …. you may give Ferguson credit for players remaining beyond his tenure, but to give credit to Busby for those that were there 10 years before him? I’ve said it before and will no doubt say it again, but journalism these days ….
Look pal, take it up with the journo...

Unread 12-07-2023, 08:19 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
It's not giving credit to anyone for the players being there, it is highlighting the stability at the club with two such long serving and successful managers.

Unread 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Seamus

Tommy Doc gave Albiston his debut. I don't know why Bryan Robson is mentioned as Atkinson signed him.

Unread 12-07-2023, 08:54 AM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
Tommy Doc gave Albiston his debut. I don't know why Bryan Robson is mentioned as Atkinson signed him.
the stat is that between 1934 and now there has always been a player in the united squad who at some point in their career played under either Busby or Ferguson.

so looking at the periods between 1934 and today when neither Busby or Ferguson were the manager: someone who started playing for united in 1934 and was stil there in 1945 (i.e. went on to play for Busby) covers that period. McIlroy who played for Busby covers 1975 until about 1981/82. then Robson, who went on to play for Ferguson covers from 81 to 86. then de gea covers 2013 onwards.

we've all concluded that it's a terrible stat, and a terrible thread.

Unread 12-07-2023, 08:56 AM
Ethers

And Tom Heaton covers from July 2023 onwards

Unread 12-07-2023, 08:56 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
the stat is that between 1934 and now there has always been a player in the united squad who at some point in their career played under either Busby or Ferguson.

so looking at the periods between 1934 and today when neither Busby or Ferguson were the manager: someone who started playing for united in 1934 and was stil there in 1945 (i.e. went on to play for Busby) covers that period. McIlroy who played for Busby covers 1975 until about 1981/82. then Robson, who went on to play for Ferguson covers from 81 to 86. then de gea covers 2013 onwards.

Let's not be hasty. Has conjured some wonderful debate - albeit about what a shit stat it is.

Unread 12-07-2023, 08:57 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
I haven’t checked so I don’t know if that first sentence is correct. Fair enough if so.

I think people are reading too much into it. It’s not ‘giving credit’, it’s just a trivial stat.

Unread 12-07-2023, 09:01 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I haven’t checked so I don’t know if that first sentence is correct. Fair enough if so.

I think people are reading too much into it. It’s not ‘giving credit’, it’s just a trivial stat.
Potentially one that is made up, too.

Unread 12-07-2023, 09:02 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Let's not be hasty. Has conjured some wonderful debate - albeit about what a shit stat it is.
Well I thought it was quite interesting, if true Trouble is, it's so bloody hard to check, you've literally got to check the team sheet for every game from 1934 onwards

I think we can all agree that in years to come we hope that ETH's name gets added to those of Sir Matt and Sir Alex and it continues to be true.

Unread 12-07-2023, 09:03 AM
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0

thanks for clearing that up.

Unread 12-07-2023, 09:03 AM
Patty_b

This thread, £#%&!ing hell...

Unread 12-07-2023, 09:04 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Well I thought it was quite interesting, if true Trouble is, it's so bloody hard to check, you've literally got to check the team sheet for every game from 1934 onwards .
No you don’t

It’s not about being in the team, it’s about being in the squad. Otherwise the stat would have been broken when De Gea had been dropped or rested.
Closed Thread