United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 13-02-2023, 03:35 PM
goldfinger II

The problem isn't VAR. It's the officials. They're bloody idiots. Adding more of them just increases the idiot quotient. More than that, when a ref makes a stupid decision he no longer has to take full responsibility for it and he'll be supported in his wrong decisions.

"Clear and obvious" is meaningless in this context because these things are entirely subjective. It just gives them an excuse for not looking at things.

Offsides aside, VAR should be used when the managers request it, each should get 2-3 challenges per game. They can use them for whatever they want, or not use them at all. When they run out, that's it. This would solve the issue of incidents not getting looked at because they don't meet some weird criteria.

Unread 13-02-2023, 03:42 PM
madhattricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
As much as Arteta is a *****, would be insane if Arsenal lose the league to city by a point because of a VAR decision that they are now admitting they got wrong.

Be very funny though if it was us who benefited.
I fully believe Arsenal is going to fumble this title away. On one hand, I would get to laugh in my friend's face who so often spouts the eponymous BS line "we play the ARRRsenal way". On the other, man dhabi getting yet another title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
The problem isn't VAR. It's the officials. They're bloody idiots. Adding more of them just increases the idiot quotient. More than that, when a ref makes a stupid decision he no longer has to take full responsibility for it and he'll be supported in his wrong decisions.

"Clear and obvious" is meaningless in this context because these things are entirely subjective. It just gives them an excuse for not looking at things.

Offsides aside, VAR should be used when the managers request it, each should get 2-3 challenges per game. They can use them for whatever they want, or not use them at all. When they run out, that's it. This would solve the issue of incidents not getting looked at because they don't meet some weird criteria.
there is a dearth of quality refs/umps/rules officials in most sports. i think it is down to the speed of games these days. Refs should be hired/fired/promoted/demoted much quicker. the head referee should be people in their prime 28-38 just like the players they are trying to judge. instead we get a bunch of old guys that get protected from their mistakes.

Unread 13-02-2023, 03:48 PM
History

Quote:
The problem isn't VAR. It's the officials. They're bloody idiots.
I hate this expression. VAR is the officials.

Unread 13-02-2023, 04:17 PM
goldfinger II

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
I hate this expression. VAR is the officials.
I take your point. What I mean is video technology for use in penalising unseen foul play or rectifying wrong decisions in-play.

Unread 13-02-2023, 04:33 PM
History

Quote:
I take your point. What I mean is video technology for use in penalising unseen foul play or rectifying wrong decisions in-play.
That's still not good enough.

Offside is judged in on a camera doing 50FPS. So those blurry toenail offsides they do when they can be arsed making lines is a joke.

They can't say for certain when a ball is struck. So makes most offside calls wrong. The whole purpose is too rule out goals. So I don't even think the technology is good

Unread 13-02-2023, 05:08 PM
madhattricks

Quote:

Offside is judged in on a camera doing 50FPS. So those blurry toenail offsides they do when they can be arsed making lines is a joke.

They can't say for certain when a ball is struck. So makes most offside calls wrong. The whole purpose is too rule out goals. So I don't even think the technology is good
That last part is really the worst thing about the current implementation of VAR. it’s about looking for things to rule out goals rather than fixing egregious errors. Instant replay ultimately turns sports into legal arguments.

Unread 13-02-2023, 06:06 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:

With the offside rule they should Introduce a margin of error where there has to be a clear gap between the two lines. If not give the benefit of doubt to the attacking team.

It’s the idiots who are too scared to make calls on penalties are the ones ruining it .

End of the day the mic from the ref next season should allow us more clarification.

Unread 14-02-2023, 08:03 AM
Bunker Buster

They're mic'ing up refs ??

Unread 14-02-2023, 11:02 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
They're mic'ing up refs ??
My mistake. It’s a trial they’ve started in the club world championship . If it goes well they may bring it to the premier league

Unread 14-02-2023, 11:06 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
My mistake. It’s a trial they’ve started in the club world championship . If it goes well they may bring it to the premier league
What language will he speak?

Unread 14-02-2023, 10:06 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
newcastle at home as well, sancho got upended and the ref waves play on. then grealish gets one yesterday for kicking his own leg.

incredible incompetence.
Agreed & could you imagine the outrage from the ABU's if , Grealish had been playing for, United & won a penalty by doing that, I suspect the boiling of p**s would have gone through the roof & yet again it proves that players can get away with absolutly anything, if they are not representing our United out on the pitch!

Unread 15-02-2023, 05:50 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hill
Agreed & could you imagine the outrage from the ABU's if , Grealish had been playing for, United & won a penalty by doing that, I suspect the boiling of p**s would have gone through the roof & yet again it proves that players can get away with absolutly anything, if they are not representing our United out on the pitch!
City never seem to bring out opinion from anyone. Dull blue robots from top to bottom and im pretty sure Dias, Rodri and Laporte are all the same person.