Closed Thread

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:17 AM
Dr Stranger

Default You can only sign ONE more

Assuming we get a keeper and Ronaldo stays, what dya reckon we need the most:

Right back
Striker
Midfielder

If AWB goes, a right back. If not, then a striker. We need a bit of presence up front. Midfield still needs work long-term, but I’d have taken two additions of the quality of Casemiro and Eriksen at the start of the summer.

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:19 AM
Vedder

A striker. We can’t rely on Rashford or Martial to play upfront all season.

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:21 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
A striker. We can’t rely on Rashford or Martial to play upfront all season.
Agreed.

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:25 AM
NedKelly

Anyone who knows what they’re talking about knows that Ronnie and Martial are going to be more than enough up front for us this season. A little extra recruitment in midfield is necessary.

Obviously I’m aware this forum has a lot of casual reds who don’t understand the game so I get that they’ll be insistent we need another striker, but reality is the majority of our problems in recent years have come from the lack of a midfield and cohesion in that area. Even players like Rashy will look better the more we play with a proper set up in the middle of the pitch.

HTH.

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:27 AM
Vedder

Who’s out there though? We should have listened to Ralf and got Alvarez in January ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Anyone who knows what they’re talking about knows that Ronnie and Martial are going to be more than enough up front for us this season. A little extra recruitment in midfield is necessary.

Obviously I’m aware this forum has a lot of casual reds who don’t understand the game so I get that they’ll be insistent we need another striker, but reality is the majority of our problems in recent years have come from the lack of a midfield and cohesion in that area. Even players like Rashy will look better the more we play with a proper set up in the middle of the pitch.

HTH.
Where’s De Jong pal? Is he still coming?

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:29 AM
djsst

Heung-Min Son, he won't be happy sat on the bench . Swop with Martial.

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:30 AM
pedr0

How many points is a backup right back going to win us?

Definitely need another forward. None of our current options are consistent and reliable for various reasons

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:30 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Who’s out there though? We should have listened to Ralf and got Alvarez in January ffs

Where’s De Jong pal? Is he still coming?
Time will tell, little man. Time will tell.

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:38 AM
dunk

Torn between forward and actual midfielder.

For all that money we’ve still got a midfield that needs replacing in 2-3 years and there’s a fair chance a portion of McFred will be in it

That’s said, the forward options are so samey and Ronaldo is done and wants to leave.

Best case; we bin Ronaldo and sign a useful forward.

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:43 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

For all that money we’ve still got a midfield that needs replacing in 2-3 years and there’s a fair chance a portion of McFred will be in it

That’s said, the forward options are so samey and Ronaldo is done and wants to leave.

This is how I feel about the midfield. FDJ was the target and it wouldn’t surprise me if we were back in for him next year. We’ll be after a younger midfielder next summer for sure.

Whichever way you look at it though, Casemiro and Eriksen is a big upgrade on what we have. Added to having some actual defenders who can pass too. One helps the other.

We don’t have a striker with any presence though. Ball just kept coming back at us at Southampton. Bit better when Ronaldo came on, but those couple of sprints of his

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:53 AM
Stickman

Ronaldo out

Centre forward in

revisit midfield in Jan if need be. (Tielemans)

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:54 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Ronaldo out

Centre forward in

revisit midfield in Jan if need be. (Tielemans)
I’m really not sure about Tielemans. Been shite for a year now.

Unread 29-08-2022, 10:10 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

I think Case Fred and Eriksen/Bruno will end up as that 3, which i'm fine with.

Probably a striker, although tony and rashford battling it out for the number 9 spot might actually give them a kick up the arse. I think tony will end up owning it, if the bastard stays fit

Unread 29-08-2022, 10:11 AM
Joe Biden

The best 11 is clearly

Gea
Dalot
Varane
Lisandro
Mal
Casemiro
Fred
Bruno
Sancho
Martial
Antony

The worst player in that 11 by far is dalot.

So a new right back it is.

Unread 29-08-2022, 10:12 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
The best 11 is clearly

Gea
Dalot
Varane
Lisandro
Mal
Casemiro
Fred
Bruno
Sancho
Martial
Antony

Eriksen will be in for either fred or bruno on a good number of occasions i suspect

Unread 29-08-2022, 10:14 AM
dunk

Eriksen was blowing out of his arse after 30 minutes on Saturday, our options beyond him are Fred and The Scottish Player, oh, and Beek . The drop off in footballing ability is horrific.

Unread 29-08-2022, 10:29 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
The best 11 is clearly

Gea
Dalot
Varane
Lisandro
Mal
Casemiro
Fred
Bruno
Sancho
Martial
Antony

should be a system implemented whereby you have to pay your subs if you’re going to come out with %@#$&!s like this

Unread 29-08-2022, 10:40 AM
anxious63

Dalot should be booted back to Portugal

Unread 29-08-2022, 10:41 AM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxious63
Dalot should be booted back to Portugal
He's crap isn't he?

Gets a free pass because he isn't bissaka.

Unread 29-08-2022, 10:44 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Eriksen was blowing out of his arse after 30 minutes on Saturday, our options beyond him are Fred and The Scottish Player, oh, and Beek . The drop off in footballing ability is horrific.
We needed more or less an entirely new midfield. Given we also needed five players elsewhere, we were never doing that in one window. From where we were, to add two players of the quality we have is decent. I don’t mind McFred being options. Both were decent at Southampton in the roles they were asked to do.. The issue is them starting every week, in positions they’re not comfortable with. Casemiro alone solves a massive problem, in that sense. Fred occupying that deep role was one of our biggest problems. That should be over now.. Eriksen brings some much needed composure and passing range too and won’t need to play every minute of every game. Subbed each of the last two games and we didn’t suffer for it.. It’s a considerable improvement, even if there’s plenty of work still to be done.
Closed Thread