United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-08-2022, 11:03 AM
92ToBury

Default ETH - the double-edged sword of success

I'm sure we're all glad we're finally looking like building for a challenge again. The big downside is that the Glazers will be far less likely to sell - the cash starts rolling in again, regular CL runs, some trophies, etc.

How many will fall off the Glazers Out train when that happens? Is it green and gold until we start winning again for some?

Or is that too pessimistic a view and they'll simply be happy to cash in once the value is back up with what they expect?

Unread 30-08-2022, 11:05 AM
dunk

I reckon the splurge is an attempt to boost fortunes and share price tbh, the money is going to have to be paid off at some point and this clearly isn’t a sustainable model under the current owners, and with the market as it is, plus the stadium and training ground needs, they cannot spend the required funds long term imo. Something has to give regardless.

Unread 30-08-2022, 11:08 AM
goonlooca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
regular CL runs, some trophies, etc.

Unread 30-08-2022, 11:13 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

fingers crossed it signals an upturn in fortunes, but it's 2 games. not sure we should be defining it as success just yet...

Unread 30-08-2022, 11:15 AM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I reckon the splurge is an attempt to boost fortunes and share price tbh, the money is going to have to be paid off at some point and this clearly isn’t a sustainable model under the current owners, and with the market as it is, plus the stadium and training ground needs, they cannot spend the required funds long term imo. Something has to give regardless.
I was thinking exactly this over the weekend. The transfers won't have to be paid off in total for 4 or 5 years. They are trying to boost the profile, make us look a competitive team around the CL places which will be a much better position for them to sell in. What's a £100m or so on extra transfers when they probably won't be paying it off and if it boosts the sale price by £200-300m then they're quids in (as always the greedy £#%&!ing leeches).

Unread 30-08-2022, 11:17 AM
believe

Yeah I’ll be gutted if we’re winning the league and European cup if the glazers were still here.

Unread 30-08-2022, 11:29 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
fingers crossed it signals an upturn in fortunes, but it's 2 games. not sure we should be defining it as success just yet...
This. Could easily get @#%&!ted by Leicester on Thursday. This is still a lot of the players who continually let us down. I want a much bigger sample size of change before declaring us a success.

Unread 30-08-2022, 11:36 AM
shenwen

Quote:
It's more about the positive changes we've see,

Six players in. Maybe one more to come. Mix of huge potential and experience. Add to that a manger who appears to know what he wants and isn't lost in the treble year nostalgia nonsense.

We'll lose some more games for sure, but the general feeling is optimistic imo.

Unread 30-08-2022, 11:42 AM
NedKelly

Anyone else think Joel was being serious when he said he was going to listen to the fans? I’ve got a lot of time for that man. You can tell he loves us. Top red.

Unread 30-08-2022, 11:50 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
It's more about the positive changes we've see,

Six players in. Maybe one more to come. Mix of huge potential and experience. Add to that a manger who appears to know what he wants and isn't lost in the treble year nostalgia nonsense.

We'll lose some more games for sure, but the general feeling is optimistic imo.
all for positive vibes and optimism... apart from the horrific choices of footwear, Erik's making all the right moves, but OP's talking about title challenges, regular CL campaigns and trophies.

Unread 30-08-2022, 11:56 AM
shenwen

Quote:
all for positive vibes and optimism... apart from the horrific choices of footwear, Erik's making all the right moves, but OP's talking about title challenges, regular CL campaigns and trophies.
all that will come imo. obviously not this season. chance of a cup - same as any top six team.

Unread 30-08-2022, 12:06 PM
ryanMUFC

The majority of our fans will be happy now we’ve spent about 200m and they have a new player to go on the back of their shirts.

Unread 30-08-2022, 12:11 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
The majority of our fans will be happy now we’ve spent about 200m and they have a new player to go on the back of their shirts.
I feel no need to change from ‘Martial’. Just hope there’s no number changes in future as that did my head in.

Unread 30-08-2022, 12:19 PM
Rorschach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Anyone else think Joel was being serious when he said he was going to listen to the fans? I’ve got a lot of time for that man. You can tell he loves us. Top red.

Unread 30-08-2022, 01:02 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
I'm sure we're all glad we're finally looking like building for a challenge again.
Steady on. We got slapped by Brentford a fortnight ago. Brentford.

Unless you mean challenging for the top 6 in which case we've maybe got a chance.

Unread 30-08-2022, 01:13 PM
Bunker Buster

There's no double edged sword to success ...

We've won the league and champions league under the glazers....

We still want them out...

Unread 30-08-2022, 01:16 PM
pc6090

2 things. None of this is their money they are spending. Won’t affect them at all. Will probably come off the budget for the stadium upgrade. Which once again won’t be their money.

Unread 30-08-2022, 01:16 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Unread 30-08-2022, 01:21 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Entirely this

Unread 30-08-2022, 01:31 PM
redhegemony

The need for Capital Expenditure on the Stadia is going to become more urgent...raise the profile of the team and increase sponsorship and bail out before the stands need bailing out...

Closed Thread