United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-01-2019, 06:50 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Because he's guaranteed to be here till May and we're only four games into his tenure. It would be a dumb football move and a dumb business move.

If we can navigate into March/April with the same consistency in football/results/general positivity then he should absolutely be considered, but to give him the job off the back of some wins against some of the worst teams in the division would be madness and could backfire spectacularly.
When you're right, you're right.

(apart from the "we" bit, but I will let that pass on this occasion )

Unread 04-01-2019, 12:21 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
You don't think hes capable of that?
I dunno tbh pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Yeah but the job of restructuring the club shouldn't be the job of the next manager we appoint
That's been our problem because we've been looking for a new Fergie but no manager should be looking after the whole football side of the club

My hope is we appoint a sporting director to look after the football administrative side of the club and then appoint a manager who is basically just a first team coach with the very specific remit of getting the best out of the first team squad
The club as a whole including the sporting director and new manager should all share the same football vision for the club

We'll learn over the coming weeks what sort of coach and man manager Ole is but I don't think it's an outrageous idea to give him the gig on a 2 year contract at the end of the season
A lot of top clubs in Europe appoint coaches who don't have glittering CVs as their manager
Of course they have a strong football structure to back those coaches up which we currently don't have
It’s not so much about the lack of trophies on his CV. His extended stay managing in Norway concerns me slightly. Back at Molde three years again now. Should an aspiring coach for the top level nor be testing himself in a more competitive environment? It’s a long interim, so we will get a better look at him but you have to make moves on the next manager before the end of the season. Maybe Ole comes into contention if other moves don’t work out.

Unread 04-01-2019, 12:34 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Yeah but the job of restructuring the club shouldn't be the job of the next manager we appoint
That's been our problem because we've been looking for a new Fergie but no manager should be looking after the whole football side of the club

My hope is we appoint a sporting director to look after the football administrative side of the club and then appoint a manager who is basically just a first team coach with the very specific remit of getting the best out of the first team squad
The club as a whole including the sporting director and new manager should all share the same football vision for the club

We'll learn over the coming weeks what sort of coach and man manager Ole is but I don't think it's an outrageous idea to give him the gig on a 2 year contract at the end of the season
A lot of top clubs in Europe appoint coaches who don't have glittering CVs as their manager
Of course they have a strong football structure to back those coaches up which we currently don't have
Top post.

Unread 04-01-2019, 12:52 AM
Sparky***

Unread 04-01-2019, 01:08 AM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

“It’s bringing watchable football, break it’s legs!”

Unread 04-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

The biggest thing ole has which I'm sure is one of the main reasons fergie would have wanted him is he's idolised by the fans. So, the players to a man know there is no hiding place, no games to be played and no chance of success should they think of taking him on this season. That coupled with the relief of having more freedom to play means we probably got a fully United dressing room for the first time since 2013.

Like siders says tho, that will only take you so far. At some point he got to show real man management and tactical nous. Which is still unknown at this level long-term

Unread 04-01-2019, 10:55 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
The biggest thing ole has which I'm sure is one of the main reasons fergie would have wanted him is he's idolised by the fans. So, the players to a man know there is no hiding place, no games to be played and no chance of success should they think of taking him on this season. That coupled with the relief of having more freedom to play means we probably got a fully United dressing room for the first time since 2013.

Like siders says tho, that will only take you so far. At some point he got to show real man management and tactical nous. Which is still unknown at this level long-term
I guess part of the problem is that we may not find out how good he really is until he does actually get the job. And his favour among the fans can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how good he is. Souness got nearly three years in charge at Liverpool possibly on those grounds.

Anyway, we have a long time to assess Ole, but I do think it will inevitably be as a back-up option. We have to be moving on Poch now and we need to be clear on it.

Unread 04-01-2019, 10:59 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I guess part of the problem is that we may not find out how good he really is until he does actually get the job. And his favour among the fans can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how good he is. Souness got nearly three years in charge at Liverpool possibly on those grounds.

Anyway, we have a long time to assess Ole, but I do think it will inevitably be as a back-up option. We have to be moving on Poch now and we need to be clear on it.
Talking about winning the league and CL with Spurs being his goal.. Good luck to him

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Talking about winning the league and CL with Spurs being his goal.. Good luck to him
He'll be at Madrid or Spurs next year.

I'm calling it now;

Ole will be United manager next season.

And it will end in tears.

Not doom. Genuinely predict it.

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:24 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
It’s that type of fierce ambition that will drive him into our arms

Seriously sounds like an exit plan. Spurs not matching my targets etc.

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:28 AM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
He'll be at Madrid or Spurs next year.

I'm calling it now;

Ole will be United manager next season.

And it will end in tears.

Not doom. Genuinely predict it.
If we're TWICIing...

We put all our eggs in the Poch basket. Levy lets him go to Madrid for free rather than come to us. We panic appoint an established name like Ancelotti or Conte. It goes predictably Mourinho. Ole back in a caretaker role within 18 months.

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
If we're TWICIing...

We put all our eggs in the Poch basket. Levy lets him go to Madrid for free rather than come to us. We panic appoint an established name like Ancelotti or Conte. It goes predictably Mourinho. Ole back in a caretaker role within 18 months.
We'd employ ole if Poch goes Madrid

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:35 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
If we're TWICIing...

If we get Conte I’m killing Ed.

I tend to think it’ll be Poch first choice and then Zidane if he goes to Madrid.

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:36 AM
dunk

Quote:
If we get Conte I’m killing Ed.

I tend to think it’ll be Poch first choice and then Zidane if he goes to Madrid.
Honestly don't think he's in the running. turned it down flat twice by all accounts..

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:39 AM
silv

if Ole did a few weights and got a bit hencher, had a stubble transplant and died his hair would you accept him then?

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:40 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Honestly don't think he's in the running. turned it down flat twice by all accounts..
Surely Poch is no1 target. Lots of rumours but I can’t honeslty believe ZZ has been offered it properly.

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:42 AM
dunk

Quote:
Surely Poch is no1 target. Lots of rumours but I can’t honeslty believe ZZ has been offered it properly.
Yeah, Poch Number 1.

Dunno you know, I reckon Woodward has been planning on shifting Mourinho since summer, which is when Zidane was allegedly first contacted, but didn't want to do anything until a plan was in place. Allegedly contracted ZZ and offered again in October and he refused, then it looks like waited for the Norwegian season to end... Can't understand the move for ZZ when he's only just joined Juve in the role he's in.

Anyway, rather Ole than ZZ tbh.

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:46 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Yeah, Poch Number 1.

Dunno you know, I reckon Woodward has been planning on shifting Mourinho since summer, which is when Zidane was allegedly first contacted, but didn't want to do anything until a plan was in place. Allegedly contracted ZZ and offered again in October and he refused, then it looks like waited for the Norwegian season to end... Can't understand the move for ZZ when he's only just joined Juve in the role he's in.

Anyway, rather Ole than ZZ tbh.
Sounds about right. Big managers will want it done properly.

Ole could give his chances against someone like Zidane a boost by advancing some of the academy kids.

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
if Ole did a few weights and got a bit hencher, had a stubble transplant and died his hair would you accept him then?
You'd better wise up before that kid arrives mate.

you're 43 ffs

Unread 04-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Sandman

Do we still go for Pochettinno if he finishes behind Ole in the league, and goes out of Europe, and the FA cup before him
Closed Thread