United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-01-2019, 11:19 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Spurs are one of the fittest teams in the league too.

They saw a lot the ball and, you know, they're good.

Good teams have a tendency to work you hard.

I'd expect us to be £#%&!ed towards the end of a hard fought victory away to one of the best teams in the league.
With 5 min to go, or something like that, we'd ran 99km to Spurs' 103km. That's a huge improvement on recent times They are also running with a far greater intensity, both attacking and defending.

Pogba was dragging his legs behind him for about 15 minutes. Every time he set off to close someone down or track a run he looked like he'd had to tell himself he had to do it and it would all be over soon

Unread 14-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Sparky***

Spurs are gonna be asbolutely £#%&!ed come spring. If they get to the league cup final and into the latter stages of the other two cups, they'll be running on empty.

Unread 14-01-2019, 11:21 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Spurs are gonna be asbolutely £#%&!ed come spring. If they get to the league cup final and into the latter stages of the other two cups, they'll be running on empty.
Son now away for a bit and Kane potentially £#%&!ed, we might well have caught them by end of Feb

Unread 14-01-2019, 11:23 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
With 5 min to go, or something like that, we'd ran 99km to Spurs' 103km. That's a huge improvement on recent times They are also running with a far greater intensity, both attacking and defending.

Pogba was dragging his legs behind him for about 15 minutes. Every time he set off to close someone down or track a run he looked like he'd had to tell himself he had to do it and it would all be over soon
We're getting there. Another simple improvement is how we're visibly working harder.

We're keeping the ball better too, that helps.

I didn't think we looked unfit yesterday. It looked more like a team that had left it all out there on the pitch and that's what you want.

We were fortunate Spurs radar was off and we could have kept the ball better towards the end, but overall we were bloody excellent and it felt like the culmination of all of Ole's influence so far.

We set up to attack and take the game to spurs on our own merits. When was the last time we did that in a big away match?

Unread 14-01-2019, 11:25 AM
ZiggyStardust

Ole's got us suited and booted again
Just give him job ffs

Unread 14-01-2019, 11:26 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
next 5 or 6 games id fancy us to be at least level with spurs

Unread 14-01-2019, 11:30 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
https://www.twitter.com/ManUtd/statu...81420242939910

Ole's got us suited and booted again
Just give him job ffs
Nice to see Emilio has taken a break from helping Clarice identifying moths ...

Unread 14-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
One thing that I believe goes somewhat under the radar is the quality of players Pochettino has at his disposal. Everyone talks about how good this Spurs side are, and how good they are to watch, and how they’ve improved so much as a club in recent years, but IMO, this has all been done with a largely average group of players.

The centre backs are nowhere near as good as some of the great defenders that have gone on to win the Premier League, and elsewhere, other than Kane, the team has no genuine world class players. Eriksen came from the Dutch league when no big club was interested, and Son has only really blossomed this season.

This is all down to Pochettino. He’s completely transformed the culture and ambitions of the club, got them overachieving massively despite barely any investment, and has developed practically all of his players. It’s very impressive, and perhaps more impressive than Pep winning a title having had a blank chequebook, and certainly more impressive than anything Mourinho did at United.

Ole is doing a sensational job so far as interim manager, but the role of interim is completely different to that of full-time coach. United need to be looking at building over the next 3-4 years into the position of Europe’s best club again, and, for me, Pochettino still has the best credentials for that challenge, given all the requirements of the task. Would obviously love nothing more than to see Ole lead us back to the top, but a part of me feels that’s my heart overriding my head.
Sounds like he would make a fantastic DOF.

Unread 14-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
If he carries on this well...he will 100% get the job due to how cheap he is and how hard the guy we want will be to get.

He has to carry on though for the rest of the season to have a chance.
Surely the club have to make the final decision on next manager by the end of March or so. They can’t leave pochettino hanging until the end of the season. Not with Real Madrid sniffing.

Unread 14-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Surely the club have to make the final decision on next manager by the end of March or so. They can’t leave pochettino hanging until the end of the season. Not with Real Madrid sniffing.
What lakes you so sure he'd want to come anyway ?

Unread 14-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
We're getting there. Another simple improvement is how we're visibly working harder.

We're keeping the ball better too, that helps.

I didn't think we looked unfit yesterday. It looked more like a team that had left it all out there on the pitch and that's what you want.

We were fortunate Spurs radar was off and we could have kept the ball better towards the end, but overall we were bloody excellent and it felt like the culmination of all of Ole's influence so far.

We set up to attack and take the game to spurs on our own merits. When was the last time we did that in a big away match?
After we took Pogba off we conceded possession more. He’s so £#%&!ing difficult to dispossess when he’s on his game and takes the pressure off us defensively, apart from his threat going forward. Thought Matic was alright defensively but he gives it away so easily unless he plays it back to Jones etc. Another Carrick would be nice.

Unread 14-01-2019, 01:06 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
After we took Pogba off we conceded possession more. He’s so £#%&!ing difficult to dispossess when he’s on his game and takes the pressure off us defensively, apart from his threat going forward. Thought Matic was alright defensively but he gives it away so easily unless he plays it back to Jones etc. Another Carrick would be nice.
Ruben Neves would do...

Unread 14-01-2019, 01:14 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That's true. Souness pointed to the week in the sun, travelling, hard training, less game time/match fitness, different beds etc. as reasons for the legs going, but they haven't been fit enough for 2 years, consistently out-ran and out-worked throughout Mourinho's reign. It'll take more than a week in Dubai to rectify.
Reading Carrick's book lately.

I wasn't aware that under Fergie, the team essentially did a mini pre-season after Christmas. Intense fitness sessions. He says that often they'd have a small dip because they were £#%&!ed but the idea is that by the end of the season, where other sides were flagging, United were going like a train.

I suspect that's what the Dubai trip was all about and why they looked leggy yesterday.

Unread 14-01-2019, 01:16 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

ole's comments to sheringham made me think he may not be ready for the long haul.

teddy asked him if he would analyse the second half to see if we could control the game a bit more and he said there is no analyzing to do. these are kids and you can't tell kids not to have fun.

sounds like he's sticking to the script.

Unread 14-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Lok

It is amazing how many people I talk to IRL about United who seem to think Ole has to get the job.

Clearly he's doing great but as others have said, it's completely different to being a full time manager.

If we continue like this until the end of the season then it's obviously something the club will consider. But there's so much we don't know about him. Can he develop players, can he manage a scouting network and make the right decisions? Can he build teams?

From the outside looking in, his role at the moment seems to be cheerleader. He's done a fantastic job of lifting the spirit and making us all enjoy watching United again. He's got the players excited to play and it really couldn't have gone better. But we need to see what happens when we've had a bad result or 2. We need to see how he's going to keep the likes of Lukaku and Sanchez happy when they're getting no minutes. We need to see if the like of Chong will actually get some meaningful game time.

Luckily for Ole, the club announced that we'll not be appointing anyone until Summer. So he has time to prove himself. Whether intentional or accidental, the club actually got something right for a change.

Hopefully he continues to surpass expectations. Winning the league with Ole would mean twice as much as winning it winning it with someone like Mourinho or Guardiola. But it's far too soon to draw any conclusions.

Unread 14-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
He might not, but they still have to make the final decision on who they want as manager pretty soon and not wait until the end of the season to decide. I’m sure they’d have sounded out pochettino even before they sacked mourinho so they already know whether he’s interested, and if he is they know they can’t leave him wondering what the £#%&! is happening, given Madrid may be sniffing. If it’s not pochettino then they can probably leave it until april sometime, but it needs to be in place at least privately before the end of the season.

Anyway, given the games coming up I think a boardroom decision will be made on Ole before the end of March. They have access to far more than just the results and performances too. I think they’ll go with him and phelan if we’ve done ok and the players are enthusiastic with the idea at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
ole's comments to sheringham made me think he may not be ready for the long haul.

teddy asked him if he would analyse the second half to see if we could control the game a bit more and he said there is no analyzing to do. these are kids and you can't tell kids not to have fun.

If it was the same pitchside interview on youtube, my interpretation was he didn’t need to analyse it as he already knew the answer.

Unread 14-01-2019, 01:47 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex

That’s not what he said. He said he had already given the answer - that the players needed to be be less direct, take more touches and move the ball around more.

My issue - also from that interview - is that he is just too nice right now. Too open. Needs to be more guarded in interviews. Even a bit more football manager cliched. @#%&!s in the media will turn one day.

Unread 14-01-2019, 01:49 PM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
New to Manchester United pal?

Unread 14-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
That’s not what he said. He said he had already given the answer - that the players needed to be be less direct, take more touches and move the ball around more.

My issue - also from that interview - is that he is just too nice right now. Too open. Needs to be more guarded in interviews. Even a bit more football manager cliched. @#%&!s in the media will turn one day.
kind of contradicts his comment that sideways passes are stupid though no?

Unread 14-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

Bit more of this

Closed Thread