Closed Thread

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:05 PM
no fun

Default Soccer AM binned

https://www.theguardian.com/football...g-on-programme

A nation weeps

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:08 PM
Whip Hubley

Absolute shite. The show, not the fact that it's been binned.

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:14 PM
Pop

A show made by @#%&!s for @#%&!s and featuring @#%&!s.

Good riddance.

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:20 PM
suedeshoes

Shame. Good show. I like it.

If I'd never seen it, I'd assume it was good based on the previous 2 posts tbh.

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:21 PM
no fun

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:24 PM
Dr Stranger

Thought it already was.

I quite like that that bit were they…. No, can’t remember anything in particular

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:27 PM
Sparky***

Had no idea that it was still going.

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:35 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Shame. Good show. I like it.

If I'd never seen it, I'd assume it was good based on the previous 2 posts tbh.
Pop has impeccable taste.

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:38 PM
Sparky***

My favourite description of it all was in when Saturday comes.

Quote:
Soccer AM is a bad memory: hungover mornings in other people’s flats, disturbed by a crew of whooping simpletons, the slurping of pro and ex-pro rectums, cobbled-together comedy that made me long for the glory days of Skinner and Baddiel’s old shit. Yet Tim Lovejoy himself, with his fashionably receding hair and voice oddly reminiscent of Rod Hull’s, I remember only as an averagely blokey TV presenter – in fact, one of the few averagely blokey TV presenters to make me clack my tongue in irritation, rather than buff my Gurkha knife. Other than as a namesake of The Simpsons’ self-serving man of the cloth, he barely registered; just a bland, blond ringmaster in a #@&%!y circus of crap. Almost a surprise, then, to find that his new book is not just ­tedious in the extreme, it is utterly vile.

Chopped into “chapters” that barely fill a page, in a font size usually associated with books for the partially sighted, Lovejoy on Football is part autobiography, part witless musing, and one more triumph for the crass stupidity rapidly replacing culture in this country. Hopelessly banal and nauseatingly self-assured, smirkingly unfunny, it’s a £300 T-shirt, a piss-you-off ringtone, a YouTube clip of someone drinking their mate’s vomit. Its smugness is a corollary of its vacuity. I hope it makes you sick.

First, it’s clear that being Tim Lovejoy requires a very special blend of arrogance and ignorance. When he’s not listing his media achievements with a breathtaking lack of guile, he’s sneering at those “sad” enough to take an interest in football history, revealing his utter cluelessness about life outside the Premier League (in a section called “Know Your Silverware”, he refers to “League Three”) and making sundry gaffes, major and minor. He names Johan Cruyff as his all-time favourite player, then admits he’s only seen that five-second World Cup clip of the Cruyff turn. Grumbling about footballers’ musical tastes, he complains that “all you’ll hear blasting out of the team dressing room is R&B, rather than what the rest of the country is listening to” – by which he means indie bands. Everywhere there are jaw-dropping illustrations of insularity, self-­satisfaction and a startlingly small mind.

There’s something sinister here, too: beamingly positive, thrilled by wealth, too pleased with himself to ask awkward questions, Tim Lovejoy is the football fan Sepp Blatter has been waiting for. Roman ­Abramovich’s darling young one. Not least for his complacency: his lack of understanding of how football works (and doesn’t work) is best illustrated in a section called “Give Your Chairman A Break”, in which he defends “that Thai bloke at Man City”, and implores us to “look at the Glazers… you would have thought they were nothing but a bunch of Americans intent on buying the club and selling off Old Trafford to Tesco judging by the howl of protests from the fans. Within two seasons though, they had won the title and built a squad the envy of Europe.” Bang your head off the wall at such unreviewable stupidity – Tim’s infantile ideas of shunning “negativity” prod him into precisely the kind of thinking that has had such hugely negative influence on the game. “Look across our national team” – he means England, by the way – “and there isn’t one player who wouldn’t walk into any side in Europe… why is it, before every tournament, we start believing we’re overrated?”

And, surprise: Lovejoy is as wretched a star£#%&!er as could be inferred from his television shows. Everyone in football is Tim’s mate (and here we have pictures to prove it, stars looking confused in his grinning, over-familiar presence, frozen by an arm around the shoulders). He’ll “even watch the occasional game of rugby now, because I’m friends with a lot of the players like Will Greenwood, Matt Dawson, Lawrence ­Dallaglio and Austin Healy”.

It’s perhaps telling that among the many anecdotes offered here, the most heartwarming (and least surprising) involves Tim getting clattered hard by Neil Ruddock in a charity game; even in this version of the story, there’s nothing to suggest Razor meant it affectionately. Still, our man is blinded by quite astonishing hubris, reprinting a photo of a banner at Anfield reading “LOVEJOY SUCKS BIG FAT #@&%!S” with a glee that is nothing like self-deprecation. “The hardest thing about leaving ­Soccer AM,” he says regretfully, “is the thought that I might no longer be influencing the game.” True, it’ll be tough. But who knows? Perhaps the game will struggle on.

It’s not that there was ever a time when football on telly wasn’t in the hands of dimwits, poseurs and blowhards. It’s not that Lovejoy is significantly more objectionable than TV shits of ages past. The point is, in his own mind and that of the powers that be, he’s one of us. He is us. Savour that. God help us.

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:39 PM
Arnold Muhren

Awful shite that I thought ended years ago. This is always worth a repost whenever that @#%&! Lovejoy pops up

https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/no-love-no-joy/

Edit: Sparky beat me to it

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:46 PM
Pop

£#%&!er...

Unread 22-03-2023, 03:50 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Favourite film: Scarface.

“Quote a line from it”

“Say hello to my liiiittle Fri-…”

“Not that one!”

Unread 22-03-2023, 04:53 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
A show made by @#%&!s for @#%&!s and featuring @#%&!s.

Good riddance.
Should have been the tagline for the show.

Unread 22-03-2023, 06:35 PM
Switching Off

Peaked when City fans couldnt fill 8 seats.

Unread 22-03-2023, 08:00 PM
Bonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Peaked when City fans couldnt fill 8 seats.

Unread 23-03-2023, 03:04 PM
Pop

Geoff Shreeves the utter @#%&! is being binned too.

Unread 23-03-2023, 08:50 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Favourite film: Scarface.

“Quote a line from it”

“Say hello to my liiiittle Fri-…”

“Not that one!”
"Cant even have any babies her wombs so polluted"
Closed Thread