United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-07-2014, 06:40 AM
believe

Football Wayne Rooney 2014/2015

Looking in better shape than he has done for a long time from what I've seen, he's been given the new players he's asked for (hopefully one more before we kick off the season) and he's got a manager with an ambition to match his own. Could be his most important season here.

If him and van Persie get the run together, both playing as strikers we could be in for some excellent goal scoring action this season

Unread 22-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Whip Hubley

In all seriousness, my view is that he is well past his peak physically. He's not displayed the same drive and ferocity for the past couple of seasons that made him such a terror to defences when he was younger. You can argue all day about the reasons for that, but the fact remains is that he is not the player he once was... however....

I still think you could be right to a point. A 'fresh start' with big Van Haal could give him a bit of a kick start and I think he probably still has a very important role to play. I think we're past the stage of commanding a huge fee for him though and imagine he'll probably be at the club for pretty much the rest of his career. Unless he asks for a transfer again

Unread 22-07-2014, 06:48 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Looking in better shape than he has done for a long time from what I've seen, he's been given the new players he's asked for (hopefully one more before we kick off the season) and he's got a manager with an ambition to match his own. Could be his most important season here.

If him and van Persie get the run together, both playing as strikers we could be in for some excellent goal scoring action this season
Fingers crossed. Unreal the abuse he gets (which will folliw) but a match winner on his day.

Hope he doesn't play so deep this season.

Unread 22-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Fingers crossed. Unreal the abuse he gets (which will folliw) but a match winner on his day.

Hope he doesn't play so deep this season.

That's a big part of the problem. He should be up top, all day long, but if we only play one up front it won't be ahead of RvP you wouldn't have thought. He's not got the touch or range of passing to dictate from deeper, as much as he likes to think he does.

He's a goalscorer.

Unread 22-07-2014, 07:13 AM
MUFC One Love

If he plays right up top or from the left he will be fine. If he's sat deep holding on to the ball to long and losing it or just spraying passes to Valencia he won't hold his place down, we don't have a shitbag in charge now.

Unread 22-07-2014, 07:15 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
If he plays right up top or from the left he will be fine. If he's sat deep holding on to the ball to long and losing it or just spraying passes to Valencia he won't hold his place down, we don't have a shitbag in charge now.
if the manager is no longer a shit bag, Rooney won't be playing in that position. With Herrera and hopefully Vidal in, he should never need to. Let's not forget that Rooney as been playing that position to compensate for a lack of midfield.

Unread 22-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Stickman

Quote:
if the manager is no longer a shit bag, Rooney won't be playing in that position. With Herrera and hopefully Vidal in, he should never need to. Let's not forget that Rooney as been playing that position to compensate for a lack of midfield.

Just beating Sparky to it...

Unread 22-07-2014, 07:29 AM
fix up look SHARPE

prediction:

all comps - 21 goals and 14 assists. leaving him level with denis law as our 2nd top scorer and 13 away from breaking charlton's record.

despite this, most of the forum will insist he's shit because they insist on comparing him to messi/ronaldo.

Unread 22-07-2014, 07:40 AM
dinger

Hopefully he has a great season but if he doesn't at least we know he won't be indulged like the spoilt brat that he can be.

Unread 22-07-2014, 07:42 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Hopefully he has a great season but if he doesn't at least we know he won't be indulged like the spoilt brat that he can be.
when has he been indulged for being a spoilt brat, can you give me an example?

Unread 22-07-2014, 07:45 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
when has he been indulged for being a spoilt brat, can you give me an example?
When he came out in the press floating the idea he might go to Man City if he didn't see better signings i.e. get more money?

Unread 22-07-2014, 07:48 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
When he came out in the press floating the idea he might go to Man City if he didn't see better signings i.e. get more money?
"no" would have been a simpler reply.

He questioned the clubs ambition and iirc we all agreed with him at the time about the lack of investment, most people still do.

Don't want this thread to be about that, I want to see what he does this season with everything he's asked for now provided.

Unread 22-07-2014, 07:57 AM
dinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Exactly.

Or how about moyes pulling him in start of last season and discussing the plans/ambition he had, why him and not the club captain for example?

Unread 22-07-2014, 07:59 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

He questioned the clubs ambition and iirc we all agreed with him at the time about the lack of investment, most people still do.

Don't want this thread to be about that, I want to see what he does this season with everything he's asked for now provided.
He did it for more money you daft @#%&!.

Unread 22-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

ffs bellers. You're not that stupid..

Unread 22-07-2014, 08:03 AM
JakeB

Is this the official 'I fancied an argument' thread?

Unread 22-07-2014, 08:04 AM
barca99

Carried us at times last year and it wasnt for the first time.

I predict another 'shit' season scoring and assisting a load of goals

Unread 22-07-2014, 08:05 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:

he didn't 'question the clubs ambition', he asked for a transfer. If he really wanted to know which direction the club was going in, he could've done that without leaving.

He then signed a new deal (so issue over then if we're using requests as in indicator to ambition satisfaction) and he's been largely poor since then. improved last year from a horrific season before, but his performances are still not befitting that of someone of his talent, experience and position at the club.

anyone saying he's shit is a moron. He set high standards as a kid and he's hasn't lived up to them recently. as stupid as it is to blindly slate him, it's also daft not to admit that.

Unread 22-07-2014, 08:07 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
Carried us at times last year and it wasnt for the first time.

I predict another 'shit' season scoring and assisting a load of goals
Yep carried us to seventh. Legendary performance.

Unread 22-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Withers

I think his biggest problem is it is hard to see where he will fit in. It's no good people saying he needs to play up front with RVP. It won't happen and nor should it. 442 is pretty much dead.

His best position is right upfront on his own, that's where his best two seasons were. So he is either competing with RVP or needs another place in the team.

I wouldn't rule out him competing with RVP either, not convince that we haven't seen the best of RVP and It's not impossible Rooney could again become the best option up there.

If you need another place in the team for him I think his best option is left in a front three rather than in the hole. He genuinely plays better when playing from the left, he has far more urgency in his game than when he plays in the hole, where he tends to play at a slower pace.

If he is prepared to accept playing there and doesn't allow his ego to see it as a demotion he could have an excellent season.
Closed Thread