United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-03-2021, 11:17 AM
triple sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
That may well be the case, we will never know. But there is no consistency in actually judging what managers have produced from quite a few on here.

Hopefully if we get 2nd this time, our manager will actually be backed. Last time he wasn't.
There were good reasons not to back him though

Drab football, bullying of younger players, his slapped-arse demeanour, culminating in his 'football heritage' rant

He was never happy at United and wasn't a good fit here

We're in a better position now as a club and don't have the same concerns about the commitment and mental state of the manager

Unread 18-03-2021, 11:19 AM
utd99

Quote:
That may well be the case, we will never know. But there is no consistency in actually judging what managers have produced from quite a few on here.

Hopefully if we get 2nd this time, our manager will actually be backed. Last time he wasn't.
That’s really unfair mate. The club bought Mourinho a lot of players and spent a ton of money. By the time he was tinned he could have fielded an entire team, in their rightful positions, made up solely from his purchases; It’s just that, in typical Mourinho fashion, he wanted to make the failure of many of those players someone else’s fault. Every aspect of the club was heading the wrong way when he was let go.

Unread 18-03-2021, 11:22 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
That’s really unfair mate. The club bought Mourinho a lot of players and spent a ton of money. By the time he was tinned he could have fielded an entire team, in their rightful positions, made up solely from his purchases; It’s just that, in typical Mourinho fashion, he wanted to make the failure of many of those players someone else’s fault. Every aspect of the club was heading the wrong way when he was let go.
Really unfair ? He got us to 2nd in the league and he then wasn't backed with the players he wanted to push on further.

It's been done to death anyway, so pointless going over it all again. But let's have some sort of consistency with what we are judging.

Unread 18-03-2021, 11:30 AM
NedKelly

I actually agree with Coracao in that Mourinho should have been backed that summer. Not backing him and expecting anything other than a disaster was sheer naïvety from Woodward. Wasn’t Maguire on his “list”? I’m sure we chose not to sign him that window and then brought him in the following window for a bigger fee.

Unread 18-03-2021, 11:40 AM
20LEgend1999

One thing I think everyone agrees on is that signing Fred, Dalot and Lee Grant in response to finishing 2nd in the league, but miles off City, was insane.

Unread 18-03-2021, 11:41 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
he was sacked because he spent 250 million quid and didn't get into the champions league.
He wasn't sacked he fell and banged his head and the new concussion protocol finished him

Unread 18-03-2021, 11:52 AM
utd99

Quote:
Really unfair ? He got us to 2nd in the league and he then wasn't backed with the players he wanted to push on further.

It's been done to death anyway, so pointless going over it all again. But let's have some sort of consistency with what we are judging.
There isn’t a manager in history who got everything he wanted, not even Guardiola. The problem is that most of the others were realistic enough to accept that it’s at least partly their responsibility to get a tune out of what they have been given. Few managers in history could have complained about being given a whole new starting 11 at a cost of, what 350m, and say they weren’t supported.

Let’s be honest, if Pogba, Lukaku, Lindelof, Bailly, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Fred and Dalot had performed at the anticipated level, and he could have managed to get a tune out of the players he inherited, we wouldn’t have been 7th and sinking like a stone, would we?

Management is about managing what you have, not throwing a tantrum and giving up the second someone says no. Everything about his time here screamed temporary and borrowed time, including his accomodations.

Unread 18-03-2021, 11:53 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I actually agree with Coracao in that Mourinho should have been backed that summer. Not backing him and expecting anything other than a disaster was sheer naïvety from Woodward. Wasn’t Maguire on his “list”? I’m sure we chose not to sign him that window and then brought him in the following window for a bigger fee.
Same, at the time they should have backed him, not matter how much I hated the £#%&!er. Not backing him was as damaging to the team as it was Mourinho.

With that said, I can understand why they didn't back him when he was seemingly happy to try and force players out of the club on a whim, and the previous signings we had made under Jose (Jose's signings or not) were not performing anywhere near expectations.

Unread 18-03-2021, 11:56 AM
utd99

Quote:
Does anyone truly believe that A) Mourinho wasn’t backed, and B) Not signing Harry Maguire was the reason he failed?

Honestly; anyone?

What’s going to be the excuse at Spurs - Alli was lazy?

Unread 18-03-2021, 12:07 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Does anyone truly believe that A) Mourinho wasn’t backed, and B) Not signing Harry Maguire was the reason he failed?

Honestly; anyone?

What’s going to be the excuse at Spurs - Alli was lazy?
I don’t think anyone has argued point b, but yeah I don’t think he was backed. It’s only under Ole that our transfer policy seems to have changed. Pretty sure Falcao, Di Maria, Sanchez etc were all Woodward’s idea. Didn’t we sign Fred to get one over on city

My point re: Maguire was more highlighting the ineptitude of Woodward and co.

Mourinho was awful and I hated the football under him, but he wasn’t backed.

Unread 18-03-2021, 12:13 PM
AK14

Quote:
I don’t think anyone has argued point b, but yeah I don’t think he was backed. It’s only under Ole that our transfer policy seems to have changed. Pretty sure Falcao, Di Maria, Sanchez etc were all Woodward’s idea. Didn’t we sign Fred to get one over on city

My point re: Maguire was more highlighting the ineptitude of Woodward and co.

Mourinho was awful and I hated the football under him, but he wasn’t backed.
Add Cavani to that list...

We £#%&!ed last summers window up too tbf.

Obviously there’s a theme that we make the CL through league positions and the board try their best to £#%&! the manager over through ineptitude.

Unread 18-03-2021, 12:32 PM
Sparky***

It'll be a decade soon since we won the league.

£#%&!ing hell, did anyone ever think in their worst nightmares that we'd make such a monumental mess of things when Fergie retired?

Unread 18-03-2021, 12:57 PM
Coracao

Quote:
There isn’t a manager in history who got everything he wanted, not even Guardiola. The problem is that most of the others were realistic enough to accept that it’s at least partly their responsibility to get a tune out of what they have been given. Few managers in history could have complained about being given a whole new starting 11 at a cost of, what 350m, and say they weren’t supported.

Let’s be honest, if Pogba, Lukaku, Lindelof, Bailly, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Fred and Dalot had performed at the anticipated level, and he could have managed to get a tune out of the players he inherited, we wouldn’t have been 7th and sinking like a stone, would we?

Management is about managing what you have, not throwing a tantrum and giving up the second someone says no. Everything about his time here screamed temporary and borrowed time, including his accomodations.
He got them 2nd in the league and won 2 cups tbf. More of a tune than any manager post Fergie has managed.

Finishing 2nd in the league should have been a springboard for kicking on to challenge for a title. Yet here we are 3 years later, no closer to doing so.

Unread 18-03-2021, 01:57 PM
Vida_15

Quote:

f***ing hell, did anyone ever think in their worst nightmares that we'd make such a monumental mess of things when Fergie retired?
tbf...it's hard to replace someone like fergie who was so entrenched in the club at all levels

i honestly thought the transition would take at least 5 years depending on the hire...then they went and brought in Moyes

Unread 18-03-2021, 01:59 PM
dunk

Quote:

£#%&!ing hell, did anyone ever think in their worst nightmares that we'd make such a monumental mess of things when Fergie retired?
Yes. Said as much at the time tbf.

Unread 18-03-2021, 02:00 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida_15
tbf...it's hard to replace someone like fergie who was so entrenched in the club at all levels

i honestly thought the transition would take at least 5 years depending on the hire...then they went and brought in Moyes
Yep

That appointment set us back 5 years on top of how long it would take to get over SAF’s retirement.

Unread 18-03-2021, 02:18 PM
Tronics

hindsight n all... but we really should have modernised our club structure as soon as SAF left so we could be in line with other top europeans clubs

i think if we only did that and nothing else we probably could have still gotten away with hiring Moyes, LVG and Mourinho and still won the league a few times in that decade.

as bad as each of their individual tenures were they were not really given the best platform or set of circumstances to succeed at the club.

Unread 18-03-2021, 02:19 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:

Thought it was going to be horrific but perhaps for 5 years rather than whatever we’re on now. My main gripe when Fergie retired was Gill being allowed to exit at the same time. Monumental £#%&! up and monumentally selfish by Gill. We needed someone to help guide the ship into the new era - especially given the root and branch approach Fergie took on everything. It was a grossly stupid thing to accept and showed Gill to be an utter shithouse with no real interest in the clubs future.

Utd99 ruling it on here btw.

Unread 18-03-2021, 02:20 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

Yes, me and Dunk specifically said a decade with Moyes at the club...

Unread 18-03-2021, 02:30 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Yep

That appointment set us back 5 years on top of how long it would take to get over SAF’s retirement.
Hard to nail down who set us back more. Moyes almost overnight destroyed any aura the team had and instilled a defeatism and cowardice that took years to cleanse. Meanwhile LVG/Mou managed to blow half a billion on utter shit at a time Leicester were winning the league and left us worse off. No foundations, nothing. The Hague is too good for the lot of them.
Closed Thread