United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-07-2020, 02:53 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
We would have to beat Leicester if that happened because of goal difference. Unless Chelsea £#%&! up.
We wouldn't. Chelsea lose at Anfield, and Leicester and Utd win, a draw between the latter two on the final day sees Chelsea in 5th.

I reckon the following will happen.

Spurs beat Leicester
Utd beat WH
Liverpool beat Chelsea

Utd beat Leicester
Chelsea beat Wolves

Unread 17-07-2020, 02:58 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
We wouldn't. Chelsea lose at Anfield, and Leicester and Utd win, a draw between the latter two on the final day sees Chelsea in 5th.

I reckon the following will happen.

Spurs beat Leicester
Utd beat WH
Liverpool beat Chelsea

Utd beat Leicester
Chelsea beat Wolves
That would be very interesting. 20 mins to go, drawing with both teams knowing they're in the top 4 if it stays that way. No way do either go for it.

Unread 17-07-2020, 03:04 PM
puressence

Ideal scenario we beat West Ham Leicester beat spurs Liverpool beat Chelsea. We draw v Leicester..

Unread 17-07-2020, 03:11 PM
jem

ideal scenario - we win all our games. couldn't give a £#%&! about anything else.

Unread 17-07-2020, 03:12 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
ideal scenario - we win all our games. couldn't give a £#%&! about anything else.
This. Chelsea missing out would just be the icing on the cake.

Unread 22-07-2020, 10:59 PM
20LEgend1999

Unread 22-07-2020, 11:08 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Can you show top/mid to Billy please?

Unread 23-07-2020, 07:45 AM
MUFC One Love

If they can't get over the line at Leicester then it just shows you how much work there still is to do. Last nights result playing a part in that.

Leicester have injuries and their centre back suspended. We've got to pick them off.

Unread 23-07-2020, 07:55 AM
Patty_b

The one thing that we might have going for us is that Leicester are going to have to come out at us a bit, instead of parking 10 men behind the ball in their own 18 yard area and asking us to break them down.

It should at least open the game up a bit for our front three. But that counts for nothing if we bottle it when we inevitably find ourselves on the back foot at times.

Unread 23-07-2020, 08:17 AM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
The one thing that we might have going for us is that Leicester are going to have to come out at us a bit, instead of parking 10 men behind the ball in their own 18 yard area and asking us to break them down.

It should at least open the game up a bit for our front three. But that counts for nothing if we bottle it when we inevitably find ourselves on the back foot at times.
I suspect Leicester wont come flying out the blocks.

Get to HT at 0-0 and they will be happy. The longer it goes on like that we will inevitably shit ourselves as they begin to come at us.

Unread 23-07-2020, 08:37 AM
Mr_Ed

I’m really pessimistic now after the last four games. Dropping points at home to Southampton and West Ham.

This should have been boxed off by now. Can we go to Leicester and get a result? We can yes but it depends which team turns up - at the risk of stating the obvious.

Unread 23-07-2020, 08:47 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I’m really pessimistic now after the last four games. Dropping points at home to Southampton and West Ham.

This should have been boxed off by now. Can we go to Leicester and get a result? We can yes but it depends which team turns up - at the risk of stating the obvious.
Though it was at home.

Oh shit.

Only need a draw - we won't lose.

Unread 23-07-2020, 09:25 AM
Mr_Ed

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Though it was at home.

Oh shit.

Only need a draw - we won't lose.
I don't think I've ever seen a United match where 'getting a draw' is a good game. Mentally if you know you have a fallback position you can switch off and relax and this shows through the players.

In some ways I think getting a win would have been better mentally as you know what needs to be done.

Unread 23-07-2020, 10:45 AM
Vedder

I love how all of a sudden Leicester are Barcelona 2009-2011. They’re in worse form than us ffs, got smashed 4-1 by Bournemouth and got comfortably beaten by spurs, they also have about 4 top players missing. We will beat them

Unread 23-07-2020, 10:51 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Can you show top/mid to Billy please?
Without wanting to pick too much at this scab today and bore everyone to tears again.

The simple distinction I was making was a win being essential, rather than just helpful. A win helps, of course, but two draws is literally what we need.

If we can find common ground, I think we can agree that the big concern is the form going into it and the capacity to actually get that point we need. Last night was more concerning because of how tired we look.

Our level has certainly dipped in the last two weeks and that game looks a lot tougher now.

But, it's a scenario we all would have taken pre-lockdown, I'm sure: Win and we get 3rd, draw and we get top 4.

Unread 23-07-2020, 10:51 AM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
I love how all of a sudden Leicester are Barcelona 2009-2011. They’re in worse form than us ffs, got smashed 4-1 by Bournemouth and got comfortably beaten by spurs, they also have about 4 top players missing. We will beat them
Don’t really get this logic. West Ham are shite and Southampton were getting spanked 9-0 at home a few months ago. They both were comfortably the better team against us in matches we had to win at home.

We look completely shot.

Unread 23-07-2020, 10:53 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Don’t really get this logic. West Ham are shite and Southampton were getting spanked 9-0 at home a few months ago. They both were comfortably the better team against us in matches we had to win at home.

We look completely shot.
West Ham and Southampton were both in good form. Leicester are in relegation form.

There's much to be concerned going into the game, but Leicester's form certainly shouldn't be one of them.

Unread 23-07-2020, 10:57 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed

Pretty much how I feel

We’re a better team but the worry is we’re absolutely £#%&!ed and running on fumes at the moment with games passing us by.

Unread 23-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Pretty much how I feel

We’re a better team but the worry is we’re absolutely f***ed and running on fumes at the moment with games passing us by.
Leicester looked knackered too. It's likely to be tight, tense and error-strewn game. We've really just got to grind it out. A test of this team's character.

Oh for an early goal.... we're starting games so slowly these days. We've conceded the first goal in 3 of the last 4. All of them errors too.

Unread 23-07-2020, 11:18 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Leicester looked knackered too. It's likely to be tight, tense and error-strewn game. We've really just got to grind it out. A test of this team's character.

Oh for an early goal.... we're starting games so slowly these days. We've conceded the first goal in 3 of the last 4. All of them errors too.
Actually thought we started lively last night! First 5/10 mins we looked nice and composed, had a few half-chances, passed crisply. We just ran out of ideas. Might well have been exhaustion but we do have this habit of struggling to break teams down who sit back in that way.
Closed Thread