United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-10-2020, 08:02 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Slim pickings for scar and tronics.

isn’t tronics an Arsenal fan - sure I read that years ago?
He certainly posts like one

Unread 27-10-2020, 11:07 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
Like you and Pogba, you mean?

Unread 28-10-2020, 10:56 PM
ryanMUFC

Can’t fault him tonight.

Unread 28-10-2020, 11:07 PM
red in cumbria

Scar, where are you?

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:12 PM
bosskeano

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchest...r-plan-forward

Mark Ogden still not convinced and doesn't see a plan or definitive style of play progressing under Ole.

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:20 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosskeano

Mark Ogden still not convinced and doesn't see a plan or definitive style of play progressing under Ole.
Oh no.

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:25 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosskeano

Just a load of shit formatted in some kind of article. The only manager in world football who could outwit tactical £#%&!ers poster boys and still get flack.

It's amazing really.

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:27 PM
Ethers

“ On too many occasions, Solskjaer has been outsmarted”

Right, ok. Apart from all the times he’s beaten supposedly better tactical coaches I guess.

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:30 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Oh no.

Are we the only £#%&!ing club who get the ‘no style’ point made?

We’ve just won 5-0 agains the CL semi finalists last season.... we were happy to surrender possession, Fred and Matic covering the back 4, VDB playing the ‘false 9’ looking to move the ball quickly onto Martial, Pogba and Greenwood.

But .... I’m not sure what his style is .... well, look closer then. The approach to the game, the strengths, weaknesses And why it worked are all pretty obvious.

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:34 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

We’ve just won 5-0 agains the CL semi finalists last season.... we were happy to surrender possession, Fred and Matic covering the back 4, VDB playing the ‘false 9’ looking to move the ball quickly onto Martial, Pogba and Greenwood.

But .... I’m not sure what his style is .... well, look closer then. The approach to the game, the strengths, weaknesses And why it worked are all pretty obvious.
So his style is counterattacking?

Thats fine, but what happens when the opposition don't leave themselves open to it?

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:35 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
“ On too many occasions, Solskjaer has been outsmarted”

Right, ok. Apart from all the times he’s beaten supposedly better tactical coaches I guess.
They all just play into the cliched perceptions don’t they?

Ole is a PE teacher. Any success only comes with questions and any failures can be attributed to him being out of his depth.

Contrast with Arteta who, because he’s Spanish and worked with Pep, has a clear way of doing things - those things are ‘the way the game should be played’ and any subsequent failures are just an inevitable bump in the road as the players all bring themselves up to this highly sophisticated level.

I’m sure any victory on Sunday will be down to our superior squad, whereas an Arsenal win will be very much Arteta proving his clear superiority over Ole.

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:40 PM
20LEgend1999

Since Solskjaer took over, we've been the third best team in the Premier League. Therefore, the only basis for him being "outsmarted on too many occasions" is that we should be better than Manchester City and Liverpool. Which no one believes should be a genuine expectation after one full season in charge.

Wasn't the average age of our squad about three years less than Liverpool's and City's last year as well?

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:41 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
So his style is counterattacking?

Thats fine, but what happens when the opposition don't leave themselves open to it?
We struggle. Because most of our players are better with space in behind.

This isn’t us not having a style, it’s merely pointing out what our strengths and weaknesses are.

Other teams have their issues, yet it’s rarely attributed to their manager being clueless and not having a plan.

How many of the 20 PL could you instantly tell me what their style is, and would their failures be down to a lack of an idea of what to do and how to do it?

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:47 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

Ole is a PE teacher. Any success only comes with questions and any failures can be attributed to him being out of his depth.

Contrast with Arteta who, because he’s Spanish and worked with Pep, has a clear way of doing things - those things are ‘the way the game should be played’ and any subsequent failures are just an inevitable bump in the road as the players all bring themselves up to this highly sophisticated level.

I’m sure any victory on Sunday will be down to our superior squad, whereas an Arsenal win will be very much Arteta proving his clear superiority over Ole.
Pal if you'd have heard Alan Smith and Tyler the other night, think it was after the 4th goal went in "well they should be beating teams like Leipzig with what they've spent" after implying that it had been an even match up until the second goal. Also seemed to think that we got lucky because we received correct VAR decisions that were borderline.

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:54 PM
Baron

Quote:

Will be interesting to see if Arteta is mental enough to play the ludicrously high line he's started with all season against us. Brendan schooled him with Vardy coming off the bench last week, revolutionary stuff... sit back in 2 banks of 4 & wait for them to £#%&! it right up. The classic gameplan that appears to have worked against Arsenal for about 25 years now.

Unread 30-10-2020, 02:58 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Will be interesting to see if Arteta is mental enough to play the ludicrously high line he's started with all season against us. Brendan schooled him with Vardy coming off the bench last week, revolutionary stuff... sit back in 2 banks of 4 & wait for them to f*** it right up. The classic gameplan that appears to have worked against Arsenal for about 25 years now.
High line against rashford and greenwood would love to see it.

Hopefully AWB can keep aubameyang quiet on the right side. He might be best going back to 3 5 2 and countering them if they do play a high line

Unread 30-10-2020, 03:01 PM
Patty_b

Quote:

Mad isn't it.

Arsenal sacked Wenger because they expected better, brought in Emery who was supposed to change the world, he didn't reach their expectations so £#%&!ed him off. They brought in Pep's lapdog and lauded him after they pulled out the odd result last season, but he has still managed to start worse than Emery did after the same amount of games.

And nothing is said.

Chelsea get in Frank Lampard, he gets lauded for playing some academy players (but less than Ole brought through for United) and playing with a squad with a low average age (but older than Ole's) and steering them to a 4th place finish (below Ole). Result? Manager of the year nomination. Now he's setting up his team for 0-0 draws despite spending a couple hundred million in the summer on attacking talent.

And nothing is said.

Pep's spent over half a billion on defenders alone at the helm of an outfit that got caught cheating, and still can't take them even slightly close to European glory and is managing to have his worse start to a season ever as a manager.

And nothing is said.

We have our most clear direction and style for the first time since Ferguson, and a squad that fans aren't disgusted by, and that stupid £#%&!er thinks there's little progression and no plan? Thick @#%&!. Should retire his pencil and keyboard in utter embarrassment.

Luckily I doubt Ole would give the slightest two shits what anyone writes about him, especially some @#%&! called Mark Ogden, and will carrying on getting on with the job, and it's a nice reminder that it doesn't matter who's winning the Champions League or the Premier League, it doesn't sell unless you write about Man United.

Unread 30-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Mad isn't it.

Arsenal sacked Wenger because they expected better, brought in Emery who was supposed to change the world, he didn't reach their expectations so £#%&!ed him off. They brought in Pep's lapdog and lauded him after they pulled out the odd result last season, but he has still managed to start worse than Emery did after the same amount of games.

And nothing is said.

Chelsea get in Frank Lampard, he gets lauded for playing some academy players (but less than Ole brought through for United) and playing with a squad with a low average age (but older than Ole's) and steering them to a 4th place finish (below Ole). Result? Manager of the year nomination. Now he's setting up his team for 0-0 draws despite spending a couple hundred million in the summer on attacking talent.

And nothing is said.

Pep's spent over half a billion on defenders alone at the helm of an outfit that got caught cheating, and still can't take them even slightly close to European glory and is managing to have his worse start to a season ever as a manager.

And nothing is said.

We have our most clear direction and style for the first time since Ferguson, and a squad that fans aren't disgusted by, and that stupid £#%&!er thinks there's little progression and no plan? Thick @#%&!. Should retire his pencil and keyboard in utter embarrassment.

Luckily I doubt Ole would give the slightest two shits what anyone writes about him, especially some @#%&! called Mark Ogden, and will carrying on getting on with the job, and it's a nice reminder that it doesn't matter who's winning the Champions League or the Premier League, it doesn't sell unless you write about Man United.
While that's a great post, I think I'll wait to hear what Troy Deeney has to say thanks.

Unread 30-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
While that's a great post, I think I'll wait to hear what Troy Deeney has to say thanks.

Unread 30-10-2020, 03:11 PM
Parlabane

This being tactically outsmarted thing surely has been shown up for what it is now, its widely accepted that Ole's success rate against the other "top 6" teams and the current flavour of the months manager is excellent.

Yep there are improvements that could and should be made, but largely over his time here we have improved and he is on the right tracks. Would we like to see the improvements quicker?, absolutely, but we're fans and usually fans have unrealistic expectations, Rome wasn’t built in a day
Closed Thread