United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-12-2018, 11:48 AM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
This isn't America, pal. In the UK, specifically London where most current slang originates from, a baller just means someone who is really good. They can play ball. "He's a baller" = "I rate him" etc. It hasn't got anything to do with personality or off the field lifestyle.

Consider it the modern version of "he's a player" if you like.

Hope this helps.
Why would Pogba be more likely to use London slang than US slang?

Anyway, it doesn’t matter, the lad is a #@&%! whatever he meant

Unread 21-12-2018, 11:50 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Why would Pogba be more likely to use London slang than US slang?

Anyway, it doesn’t matter, the lad is a #@&%! whatever he meant
Because he lives in the UK? Influenced by J-Lingz etc.

Just trust me on this pal.

And he does appear to be a #@&%! yes.

Unread 21-12-2018, 11:54 AM
messhead

Quote:
This isn't America, pal. In the UK, specifically London where most current slang originates from, a baller just means someone who is really good. They can play ball. "He's a baller" = "I rate him" etc. It hasn't got anything to do with personality or off the field lifestyle.

Consider it the modern version of "he's a player" if you like.

Hope this helps.
Sorry but I'm from London and this is £#%&!ing hilarious it's not the 90s where slang is generally a local thing, and I assure you, in no playground is "baller" being used to describe a footballer. It's a word that stems from hip hop culture, he's describing himself as a "boss", a G, a top boy in forum terms. Hope that helps granddad,

Unread 21-12-2018, 11:54 AM
sa7

Quote:
Because he lives in the UK? Influenced by J-Lingz etc.

Just trust me on this pal.
Agree to differ

Quote:
And he does appear to be a #@&%! yes.
Agree to agree

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
Sorry but I'm from London and this is £#%&!ing hilarious it's not the 90s where slang is generally a local thing, and I assure you, in no playground is "baller" being used to describe a footballer. It's a word that stems from hip hop culture, he's describing himself as a "boss", a G, a top boy in forum terms. Hope that helps granddad,
I know that pal, but the reason I said we are not in America is that it does not mean that in contemporary use over here.

Let's not have this get messy, pal. You clearly don't know what you're talking about so I'm happy to leave it here? Merry Xmas.

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I know that pal, but the reason I said we are not in America is that it does not mean that in contemporary use over here.

Let's not have this get messy, pal. You clearly don't know what you're talking about so I'm happy to leave it here? Merry Xmas.

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:05 PM
messhead

Quote:

But it does mean that in contemporary use over here. How old are you out of interest? You seem a bit out of touch, but it's ok, I can help.

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
But it does mean that in contemporary use over here. How old are you out of interest? You seem a bit out of touch, but it's ok, I can help.
Go and DM Raheem about it pal

Where you from btw pal?

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:07 PM
messhead

Genuinely keep chuckling at the thought of old man siders using "baller" totally out of context.

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:09 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Genuinely keep chuckling at the thought of old man siders using "baller" totally out of context.
Mate you're using it in the context that's about 30 years old at least

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm from east London "pal"
Makes sense.

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:16 PM
messhead

Quote:
Makes sense.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=baller

Just to help enforce your education.

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:17 PM
S/Side.Red

Posted in 2002

Please stop now.

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:18 PM
messhead

Quote:
Posted in 2002

Please stop now.
Scroll down old man, web pages can do that you know

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Denis Irwell

This is entertaining

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:20 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Scroll down old man, web pages can do that you know
Quote:
this is old 70 s and early 80 s slang
Glad to see you're with the modern trends, pal.

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:21 PM
messhead

Quote:
Glad to see you're with the modern trends, pal.
Has only gained prominence in England in the past decade max. No one is using it in the way you described, I don't know why you're struggling so hard to admit you may be wrong on this one. Again, how old are you?

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Has only gained prominence in England in the past decade max. No one is using it in the way you described, I don't know why you're struggling so hard to admit you may be wrong on this one. Again, how old are you?
This is painful now. East London lad dictating about modern culture ffs. You reek of Essex tbh. Learned the American term for baller last year from the Skee-Lo song and now on here talking shit to me. Disgraceful tbh. Merry Christmas again. Out.

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Throw

London beef.

South V East?

Enjoyable.

Unread 21-12-2018, 12:29 PM
messhead

Quote:
This is painful now. East London lad dictating about modern culture ffs. You reek of Essex tbh. Learned the American term for baller last year from the Skee-Lo song and now on here talking shit to me. Disgraceful tbh. Merry Christmas again. Out.
So you won't be confirming you're an old man then? And I guess you've now upped and changed position on most uk slang originating from London, now someone who is actually from London has decided to call you out for talking out your arse? Have a good Christmas, "pal".
Closed Thread