United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-10-2012, 03:25 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Or a carrick and scholes central pairing.
I prefer carrick and ando if the fat £#%&! doesn't get out of breath within 5 minutes, but I'd have scholes in a 5-man midfield readily enough.

Unread 26-10-2012, 03:31 PM
rogieop

Big Lindaa
Rafael
Rio
Evoh
Evroh
Scholes
Giggs
Carrick
Tony V
Rooneh
Errrveepee

Unread 26-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogieop
Big Lindaa
Rafael
Rio
Evoh
Evroh
Scholes
Giggs

Carrick
Tony V
Rooneh
Errrveepee
:shakehead: Give your head a wobble mate.

Unread 26-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
this is a man who started giggs and carrick in a midfield two agaisnt barcelona just 18 or so months ago.
It was doomed to failure but at least they were the form pair at the time. Painful to watch Giggs at the moment, his legs have gone, everything is happening too quickly for him for him to react to and it looks as is panicking when on the ball. For a player who has been so technically supreme over his career it is a major struggle now to do things he never really had to think about in the past.

Fergie can not ignore his struggles and throw him into this game. At least with Scholes you have a player who is still excelling at the key parts of his individual game despite the compromises he creates elsewhere.

Unread 26-10-2012, 04:14 PM
red in cumbria

Again, no way Giggs is starting on Sunday. Its mostly cameos for him from now on.

Unread 26-10-2012, 04:14 PM
rogieop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
:shakehead: Give your head a wobble mate.
i think they work well in a three.

Carrick sitting and giggs/scholes infront of him pulling the strings.

The problems arise when fergie decides to play both in a midfield two or play giggs wide left and scholes in the middle.

In a 3 they will tear chelsea a new one.

Unread 26-10-2012, 06:13 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Again, no way Giggs is starting on Sunday. Its mostly cameos for him from now on.
Everyone said the same thing before Anfield & Tottenham at home.
Fergie's default setting is - Big Game = Experience.
There's no way in the world he's learnt from his mistakes in that regard.

I think they'll both start on Sunday sadly - Scholes is nailed on (which is ridiculous because when we don't have the ball we might as well be playing with 10 men)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogieop
i think they work well in a three.

Carrick sitting and giggs/scholes infront of him pulling the strings.

The problems arise when fergie decides to play both in a midfield two or play giggs wide left and scholes in the middle.

In a 3 they will tear chelsea a new one.

Unread 26-10-2012, 06:55 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Everyone said the same thing before Anfield & Tottenham at home
Spurs at home might just have been the same "lightbulb" moment for SAF regarding Giggs as away at Boro back in Boxing Day 2002 was for him regarding Larry White......

He had been utterly stubborn regarding him too up to that point - but it suddenly dawned on him after that atrocity that however good he once was, he just coudn't do it anymore.

(Hauled off Giggsy at HT in the Spurs game, didn't he?? No messing, and not like Freggles most of the time)

If you are asking me if Scholes will start on Sunday, on the other hand - wellll.......

(even though I agree he probably shouldn't, especially after the Stoke game )

Unread 26-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Tumescent Throb

Giggs' confidence will return at some point and he will play an important role this season.

Funnily enough at Chelsea last season Scholes came off the bench during the fightback and Giggs set up the equaliser - though 3-0 down was a £#%&!ing travesty in the 1st place obviously

Don't see where this daft line about Ferguson finally seeing Giggs as Blanc comes from. United fell behind through £#%&! all to do with either of the veterans against Spurs, and the 2nd goal was more about the short-comings of Kagawa and a retreating defence than anything.

The change from Giggs to Rooney was a statement of attacking intent, not a statement of waking up to Giggs' limitations ffs. He is still one of the most creative players United - or anyone else in the league - has got and he will get decent amount of pitch-time as the season goes on if and when his confidence returns.

Naturally in the meantime people will point to his age as a reason for him being out of touch. I'm sure he laughs at it now just as he has for the last couple of seasons.

Unread 26-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Giggs' confidence will return at some point and he will play an important role this season.

Funnily enough at Chelsea last season Scholes came off the bench during the fightback and Giggs set up the equaliser - though 3-0 down was a £#%&!ing travesty in the 1st place obviously

Don't see where this daft line about Ferguson finally seeing Giggs as Blanc comes from. United fell behind through £#%&! all to do with either of the veterans against Spurs, and the 2nd goal was more about the short-comings of Kagawa and a retreating defence than anything.

The change from Giggs to Rooney was a statement of attacking intent, not a statement of waking up to Giggs' limitations ffs. He is still one of the most creative players United - or anyone else in the league - has got and he will get decent amount of pitch-time as the season goes on if and when his confidence returns.

Naturally in the meantime people will point to his age as a reason for him being out of touch. I'm sure he laughs at it now just as he has for the last couple of seasons.
2 years ago I would have entirely agreed. However he has not put in a well rounded sustained performance since the end of the 10/11 season. Last year he had some important moments, that creativity of his led to some key assists, but there was a lot of very poor play between those isolated moments. Some would say that Giggs has always been that type of player but it has never been more pronounced than in the last 12-14 months.

39 in a few weeks, his longevity has been astonishing, and to his great credit his years between 33-37 were some of his most consistently productive, but his time is up imo. Not easy to say as he is my favourite Utd player ever.

Unread 26-10-2012, 07:46 PM
jem

personally, if I were having trouble passing to a teammate, I wouldn't try a ridiculous backheel the first time the ball came to me. giggs can £#%&! off. if he's there for his experience, he should show some. it's not age making him make bad decisions.

Unread 26-10-2012, 07:51 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
his longevity has been astonishing, and to his great credit his years between 33-37 were some of his most consistently productive, but his time is up imo.
this nqat

unbelievable player incredible achievements and a true United legend, we will never see his like again but it's time to retire
Closed Thread