United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-03-2007, 01:25 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Those comparisons are so idiotic they aren't even worth adressing seriously. You are better than this.
It depends on your viewpoint, 20 million of Hargreaves far more of a joke then my flippancy can compete with. Now if it were 20 million for Lucas Podolski I might entertain the idea but I think he is the only player in that entire league worth more than 12 million quid.
20 million for a man who was a national joke up until one good performance against Portugal is madness, I'm not saying Hargreaves would not do a job but it is the same job we had Pip Neville for and he did it just as well as Hargreaves does, if you don't believe me ask an Everton fan.

Unread 28-03-2007, 01:28 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Still, I agree that now is the time to be looking at strengthening these positions.
Yea. I'd be happy if we sign a quality Striker and Hargreaves this summer. Add Gibson from the reserves and give Rossi a proper run in the side. £#%&! off silvestre, richardson and fletcher. We could probably wait a season, then make a move for a winger and a right back (maybe those brazilian kids?).

Either way, we can't afford to £#%&! this up. Summer of 2003, our midfield signings were shit, resulting in a pathetic defense of our League title and £#%&! all in the way of a challange for 3 seasons.

Unread 28-03-2007, 01:29 PM
24hr Leavesey

Can't stop shaking my head when someone mentions Hargreaves and the 8 figure fee he'll demand.

Unread 28-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Wesley Sneijder mother£#%&!ers.
when i first read that, i mistakenly thought of wesley snipes.

still, he and will smith would make a corking central midfield partnership.

Unread 28-03-2007, 01:36 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
when i first read that, i mistakenly thought of wesley snipes.

still, he and will smith would make a corking central midfield partnership.
Yeah, Will smith can be our new smiling ambassador.

Without the purple gums and yellow eyes.

Unread 28-03-2007, 03:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Hell, why not bid £20m for Xavi and see what reception we get ?
Offer Barca £20m for Xavi and they'd bundle him on the first flight over here before we changed our mind.

There are very few midfielders in Europe you wouldn't get for that amount of money.

Unread 28-03-2007, 03:28 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Offer Barca £20m for Xavi and they'd bundle him on the first flight over here before we changed our mind.

There are very few midfielders in Europe you wouldn't get for that amount of money.

So why is it Hargreaves or bust then ?

Unread 28-03-2007, 03:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
So why is it Hargreaves or bust then ?
Because one of his parents is from Bolton so he's certain to adapt to English football. You can't put price on those odds.

Unread 28-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Because one of his parents is from Bolton so he's certain to adapt to English football. You can't put price on those odds.

Unread 28-03-2007, 03:38 PM
legendary saf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
It depends on your viewpoint, 20 million of Hargreaves far more of a joke then my flippancy can compete with. Now if it were 20 million for Lucas Podolski I might entertain the idea but I think he is the only player in that entire league worth more than 12 million quid.
20 million for a man who was a national joke up until one good performance against Portugal is madness, I'm not saying Hargreaves would not do a job but it is the same job we had Pip Neville for and he did it just as well as Hargreaves does, if you don't believe me ask an Everton fan.
I agree, I don't understand the fascination with Hargreaves and that at £20million???? He will not offer anything special as a holding midfielder. He is not exceptional, he does not have great passing ability, isn't dominant physically, cannot score goals. Ok he is tireless and works hard --however is that worth £20million?

Unread 28-03-2007, 03:41 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:

Have you been to Bolton ?

Unread 28-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
I agree, I don't understand the fascination with Hargreaves and that at £20million???? He will not offer anything special as a holding midfielder. He is not exceptional, he does not have great passing ability, isn't dominant physically, cannot score goals. Ok he is tireless and works hard --however is that worth £20million?
I've said before I wouldn't change the current midfield partnership. We certainly need better alternatives to what we currently have but I'm not sure £20million is best spent on someone who I'd only have on the bench to begin with.

We've not got a bottomless pit after all.

Makelele is out of contract in the Summer.

Unread 28-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
Don't underestimate what he could bring to the party - especially tactically, and obviously technically, mentally and physically.

Not sure about all this £20m lark that gets bandied around by Munich. But if it takes £20m then so be it.

[SIZE="3"]
£20m is not even a gamble, because Hargreaves is pure gold

with apologies

Unread 28-03-2007, 03:51 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Makelele is out of contract in the Summer.
Did not know that. Not seen much of Claude this season. Has he still got the legs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Not sure about all this £20m lark that gets bandied around by Munich. But if it takes £20m then so be it.
I actually want Hargreaves, but not at the price being bandied around. No freaking way Throb.

Unread 28-03-2007, 03:57 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Did not know that. Not seen much of Claude this season. Has he still got the legs ?

I actually want Hargreaves, but not at the price being bandied around. No freaking way Throb.
Is not paying the extra worth missing out on him?

I don't see anyone else in his mould who we could realistically get.

If we're willing to pay £12 or so, is it not worth the extra £8-10m or so? Anything else is a compromise and the likelihood is the rest will get wasted elsewhere on a gamble.

Remember, the extra money that would've got Ronaldinho was spent on Kleberson.

I can see it being like the Carrick deal: £16m or so down and then another £4-6 depending on success and appearances etc......which, if he gets, you're happy to pay.
He's the number one target and he'd be an investment for the future, anything else would be a compromise and it'd reflect poorly on our ambition if we didn't push it that extra mile.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

Good post S/Side, but I see Hargreaves being good cover in the centre, and more than that as being good cover on the right, especially for Neville.

Both Keane and Ince learned much of their early United education from full-back and Phelan also spent time there. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that's what Fergie sees. In which case it is wrong to say that Hargreaves' arrival would immediately push out Scholes or Giggs. It wouldn't, and, given Neville's fitness concerns in recent times, Hargreaves would easily get 30 odd starts next season in assorted positions and formations, and probably more.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:06 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Is not paying the extra worth missing out on him?

I don't see anyone else in his mould who we could realistically get.

If we're willing to pay £12 or so, is it not worth the extra £8-10m or so? Anything else is a compromise and the likelihood is the rest will get wasted elsewhere on a gamble.

Remember, the extra money that would've got Ronaldinho was spent on Kleberson.

I can see it being like the Carrick deal: £16m or so down and then another £4-6 depending on success and appearances etc......which, if he gets, you're happy to pay.
He's the number one target and he'd be an investment for the future, anything else would be a compromise and it'd reflect poorly on our ambition if we didn't push it that extra mile.
I'm torn. Part of me feels buying Hargreaves is the easy option and shows a lack of ambition. If not ambition then certainly foresight.

Quote:
Why do we assume that he will settle in straight away? While England's international matches see him playing alongside so many names familiar with the Premiership - the style of football played is a world away from that of our league. International football is made for players like Hargreaves - it's slow, patient and energy and aggression always stand out. He couldn't be much more in contrast to what he'll get here - so it's no indicator.

Interestingly, Hargreaves will be closer to 27 when he starts playing for us; he would pretty much need to settle in straight away. This would also involve pushing Giggs, Scholes or Carrick out of the side pretty sharpish. He isn't young enough to be a long-term replacement for anybody - he needs to make a place in the side his own.

People moan about our approach in big games, but then talk about the need for Hargreaves in these big games. His inclusion in the side would mean a 3-man midfield with even more negative connotations because he would be playing instead of Giggs.

Is there really an obvious place in the side for him? I can only see a squad player, which is fine but for £20m we could buy three.

He'd come if the wages were good.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you there S/Side.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:12 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Good post S/Side, but I see Hargreaves being good cover in the centre, and more than that as being good cover on the right, especially for Neville.

Both Keane and Ince learned much of their early United education from full-back and Phelan also spent time there. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that's what Fergie sees. In which case it is wrong to say that Hargreaves' arrival would immediately push out Scholes or Giggs. It wouldn't, and, given Neville's fitness concerns in recent times, Hargreaves would easily get 30 odd starts next season in assorted positions and formations, and probably more.
I agree, but on the other hand I'd say for £20m we could sign a natural right-back to be Neville's long-term replacement as well as a quality squad midfielder five years younger than Hargreaves with the potential to be a long-term Scholes/Giggs replacement and still have change left over.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Rhodzy

Makeleles on of Fergies faves so don't rule it out.

Unread 28-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I agree, but on the other hand I'd say for £20m we could sign a natural right-back to be Neville's long-term replacement as well as a quality squad midfielder five years younger than Hargreaves with the potential to be a long-term Scholes/Giggs replacement and still have change left over.
That is also true but..............

With Hargreaves in he'd buy time to rest Scholes and Neville (or cover for them) whilst settling in and also allowing for Simpson, Gibson and hopefully Hewson to pin down a place in the squad. Thus we have no real need to buy in a replacement for Neville, or to buy in any cheap midfield options.
Closed Thread