United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:00 PM
redhegemony

Default United Ireland

Bloody obvious answer- cricket- friday will unite the island under the banner of the family of cricket. Petty sectarianism will be set aside as North and South enjoy the sound of leather on willow. The Maze will become the 'Lords' of the North and peace shall reign. The Rev and Weirdy Beardy will become the Men in white presiding over the finer points of reverse swing and Duckworth-Lewis. Why didn't we think of it before?

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:01 PM
rebelcountyred

already been done, rugby

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:02 PM
redman

Spot on, after years of conflict to have finally found the answer is amazing, well done to you.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:04 PM
redhegemony

it will be akin to the Christmas day football match during WW1 except there will also be cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off. Oh and a viennese fancy or two.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:04 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman
Spot on, after years of conflict to have finally found the answer is amazing, well done to you.
Yes they really £#%&!ed themselves up dividing up their own country didn't they?

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:05 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Yes they really £#%&!ed themselves up dividing up their own country didn't they?
probably not helped by an absence of Surrey loam.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:07 PM
forzagarza

Ireland has more ressing problems such as the influx of Eastern European gypsies coming over and trying to sell lucky rabbits feet and the like.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:14 PM
bobbledinho

Bit of healthy competition for our own gypsies.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:22 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Ireland has more ressing problems such as the influx of Eastern European gypsies coming over and trying to sell lucky rabbits feet and the like.
Perhaps if they sold turf suitable for a decent square everyone would be happy.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:23 PM
wee man

Sport is strange isn't it and this Cricket World Cup sums it up. One "recently" partitioned area of the world play as 2 seperate countries (India and Pakistan). 2 countries, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland play as one calling themselves Ireland. England and Wales join together and call themselves simply England whilst Scotland proudly play as themselves. Lots of different countries join together and call themselves the West Indies. As a lad Alan Knott was my hero in the summer and I grew up as an avid viewer of test matches. I hope England win the World Cup.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:25 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
Sport is strange isn't it and this Cricket World Cup sums it up. One "recently" partitioned area of the world play as 2 seperate countries (India and Pakistan). 2 countries, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland play as one calling themselves Ireland. England and Wales join together and call themselves simply England whilst Scotland proudly play as themselves. Lots of different countries join together and call themselves the West Indies. As a lad Alan Knott was my hero in the summer and I grew up as an avid viewer of test matches. I hope England win the World Cup.
3 if you count Bangladesh. The interesting point is why didn't the Irish bit of the British Empire get colonised by cricket like huge chunks of the rest did?

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:29 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
3 if you count Bangladesh. The interesting point is why didn't the Irish bit of the British Empire get colonised by cricket like huge chunks of the rest did?
2 good points. Scotland never took up cricket (seriously) either.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:31 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
2 good points. Scotland never took up cricket (seriously) either.
too bastard cold and you can't really bat after a couple of slices of Dundee cake.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:39 PM
wee man

Quote:
too bastard cold and you can't really bat after a couple of slices of Dundee cake.
Tried to think of a smart answer there - but I'm stumped.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:43 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
already been done, rugby
I know there's a north Rugby but I've never heard of the Republic of Rugby.

(bit late with this but what the hell)

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:47 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
I know there's a north Rugby but I've never heard of the Republic of Rugby.

(bit late with this but what the hell)
clear off its (almost) the cricket season

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:52 PM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
There was an article last week about why cricket wasn't played so much in the republic and it went back to the the land league and their battle with the landlords of that time, people were boycotting the landlords because of high rents and evictions and cricket was seen as a game of the landed gentry, the resurgence of gaelic games just finished cricket off.

Unread 28-03-2007, 04:57 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
There was an article last week about why cricket wasn't played so much in the republic and it went back to the the land league and their battle with the landlords of that time, people were boycotting the landlords because of high rents and evictions and cricket was seen as a game of the landed gentry, the resurgence of gaelic games just finished cricket off.
more likley they couldn't get a high enough elbow for a decent forward defence shot. That old politics excuse seems a bit lame didn't stop old Ghandi turning his arm over.

Unread 28-03-2007, 05:06 PM
wee man

Quote:
Don't tell me Jack Charlton tried to get the bould Geoff as well.

Unread 28-03-2007, 05:30 PM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
more likley they couldn't get a high enough elbow for a decent forward defence shot. That old politics excuse seems a bit lame didn't stop old Ghandi turning his arm over.
nonsense, we're naturals at it, give it five years and we'll be like brazil.
Closed Thread