United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Singy211291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Can we attempt to play higher up the pitch with Maguire at CB? Does his lack of pace and bus like turning not limit the defensive set ups he can be successful in? Is there any proof he makes a team stronger defensively?
We dont need to play high up because his qualities dont fit in with that.

He can be extremely successful in a set up where he doesn't need to do the running, he just needs to be the player that doesn't give you the space to exploit. And that can only happen when the players around him give him that chance.

I.E, Other CB partnerships leaving little room to work something or pushing them towards Maguire and then himbjust stepping in and taking the ball, releasing it (Sooner than he likes to atm) and then getting back into his position.

Hes more a positional player than a man marker.

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
We have scored 13 goals in 11 league games.

You can dress it up and defend it is as much as you want, that is £#%&!ing nowhere near good enough.
With every year that passes in football attacking is increasingly a collective art. You don't want to push up and make the team compact higher up the field or press with organisation, you reduce the chances of creating much. United don't look well coached or move the ball well enough and persist with a proactive enough approach to score a lot of goals. Midfield especially needs strengthening.

Martial will score plenty of goals if he stays fit. Can't see us getting a better striker in our current state.

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:45 PM
Soviet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singy211291
We dont need to play high up because his qualities dont fit in with that.

He can be extremely successful in a set up where he doesn't need to do the running, he just needs to be the player that doesn't give you the space to exploit. And that can only happen when the players around him give him that chance.

I.E, Other CB partnerships leaving little room to work something or pushing them towards Maguire and then himbjust stepping in and taking the ball, releasing it (Sooner than he likes to atm) and then getting back into his position.

Hes more a positional player than a man marker.
Playing a high line with our attack and midfield is asking for trouble because getting them to press is like getting blood from a stone.

Offensively, the movement is £#%&!ing awful, the midfield is awful. Not sure what youre expecting from Maguire ? To do their job for them ? To start the chain of events ? Who's moving for him to even pass to ? Whos creating space for him to step into ?

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:47 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
With every year that passes in football attacking is increasingly a collective art. You don't want to push up and make the team compact higher up the field or press with organisation, you reduce the chances of creating much. United don't look well coached or move the ball well enough and persist with a proactive enough approach to score a lot of goals. Midfield especially needs strengthening.

Martial will score plenty of goals if he stays fit. Can't see us getting a better striker in our current state.
We have the worst attack I have ever seen us have. Cut the bullshit and call it as it is ffs.

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Singy211291

Quote:
You were pretty confident Martial and Rashford would score plenty of goals in the league too IIRC, or at least our forwards outscoring what we did last season...

Won't be holding my breath personally

What are you going on about? They get 'game time' here as we have f***ing zero options and absolutely nobody near world class ability as an attacker, which is criminal for a club like United.
Exactly, they are our options and pretty good ones I think when comparing them to other young players in the prem. Obviously other teams have better attackers, some much better, but noone really has any world class attackers do they?

Only Aguero, Sterling, Mane (Which kills me to say) are close to the best the prem has atm?

We've been so used to having great players over the years, we expect every player to have the same abilities. We wont see another Ronaldo, Rooney, Cole, Yorke like players that much because the game has improved and so have the players coming into it, because of that, hardly anyone can fill the boots of a "World Class" player.

We were blessed to have the teams we had and the Manager we had.

What do you expect? For every United player to live up to the past greats? Wont happen.

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
We have the worst attack I have ever seen us have. Cut the bullshit and call it as it is ffs.
We have the worst defence and midfield you have seen us have too

And the attackers are our best players. Which backs up the point about issues being more collective than blaming the forwards.

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Coracao

Quote:
We have the worst defence and midfield you have seen us have too

And the attackers are our best players. Which backs up the point about issues being more collective than blaming the forwards.
Our team is awful pal. And I do not agree on the attackers being the best of the bunch. If we are to challenge again, I expect AWB, Tuanzebe and Maguire to be part of that. I only see Greenwood as being potentially being up to the level.

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Singy211291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
Playing a high line with our attack and midfield is asking for trouble because getting them to press is like getting blood from a stone.

Offensively, the movement is f***ing awful, the midfield is awful. Not sure what youre expecting from Maguire ? To do their job for them ? To start the chain of events ? Who's moving for him to even pass to ? Whos creating space for him to step into ?
I'm not questioning Maguires attacking play because hes not there for that so no, I dont expect Maguire or any other defender to create for us. Cant judge him on something he isnt employed to do?

The midfield creativity, or lack of, is a big reason for the lack of chances. Theres no through balls, no one two simple passes. All over the top, side to side or my pet peeve, going bloody backwards.

Opposition know that so sit their defenders back, wait for the shit over the top ball, gain possession, play one ball through our whole midfield, for Maguire to try to take control, get spun and leave a Grand Canyon behind him

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Our team is awful pal. And I do not agree on the attackers being the best of the bunch. If we are to challenge again, I expect AWB, Tuanzebe and Maguire to be part of that. I only see Greenwood as being potentially being up to the level.
Basically all the new ones? Give it 12 months pal

Our team is awful. But the talent is at the front end of the pitch. Martial has 3 in 6 in the league; Rashford 5 in 11. They're just about doing their job with no supply line. Stick anybody you want up front, a midfield of Fred, Mctom and Pereira with AWB and Young as full-backs isn't helping them win golden boots.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:01 PM
Ethers

Quote:
You were pretty confident Martial and Rashford would score plenty of goals in the league too IIRC, or at least our forwards outscoring what we did last season...

Won't be holding my breath personally

What are you going on about? They get 'game time' here as we have £#%&!ing zero options and absolutely nobody near world class ability as an attacker, which is criminal for a club like United.
Well as I recall it some tit bet me that Rashford and Martial wouldn’t get 20 goals between them this season

Think they’re on 12 so far? Considering Martial has been out for a while, and Rashford had a terrible spell of form, it’s really not that bad.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Soviet

Quote:

Our team is awful. But the talent is at the front end of the pitch. Martial has 3 in 6 in the league; Rashford 5 in 11. They're just about doing their job with no supply line. Stick anybody you want up front, a midfield of Fred, Mctom and Pereira with AWB and Young as full-backs isn't helping them win golden boots.
Youre cutting them an awful lot of slack considering theyve underwhelmed for 5 seasons

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Singy211291

Quote:

Bang on. The Scottish Player had been our best midfielder for us this season but that says it all. We need a whole midfield overhaul.

I will defend AWB though, hes been solid for the most part, very hard to beat one on one, seems to be In the right place at the right time, making last ditch successful tackles, not going down, standing the ball up, being tight to attackers and not making rash tackles. Yes he was at fault for the Bournemouth goal but that's just young determination to win the ball. His decision making in them situations will improve with maturity.

Fred and Pereira dont fit the style of play we want to instil. The English game is too fast for them both.

And Young, well he just needs to realise that just because hes the longest serving player atm, doesn't mean he can do whatever he pleases. Lazy @#%&!.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:25 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
A player who could be part of a title winning team, unlike 80% of the others.

Concentration would perhaps be spent on his dysfunctional partner, midfield and a nowhere near good enough attack.
Was, was part of a title winning team.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Singy211291

Quote:
Really? The worst? Other than the 99 and 08 team, we've never really had a few players who can actually score goals. Van Persie, Rooney and Berbatov are the only players since 08 that have been prolific, unless I'm forgetting someone?

These attackers we have now are the best chance to get that attacking prowess back, obviously its not working yet but you've got to give them time to know each others game surely?

When we dont have fully fit attacking options then yeah its gonna be very difficult. Rashford or Martial cant do it on their own with that midfield behind them. Hence why the creativity and chances come from them playing together. And Greenwood will slowly become part of that the more he plays with them.

I dont think we should of sold both Lukaku and Sanchez because at least with one of them, we would have injuries covered and a bit more experience.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Was, was part of a title winning team.
No he wasn't.

Leicester won the league in 15/16, Maguire didn't join them until 2017.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Casanova85

Maguire is a NT player and the best defender (that doesn't mean flawless) CB we've had since the Ferdinand-Vidic years. Period.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:44 PM
dunk

Quote:
£60m down is right Singy.

Plus Leicester replaced him from within so we have dropped £85m into their pockets as we aspire to catch them.

However, I have been assured by Jamie Redknapp that "he can play, don't worry about that" so all is not lost.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:56 PM
Sandman

Quote:

The dead zone.

Unread 09-11-2019, 10:01 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
No he wasn't.

Leicester won the league in 15/16, Maguire didn't join them until 2017.
I know, just casually chucking a bit of fuel on the fires of doom and depression that are destroying the place.

Unread 09-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Singy211291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casanova85
Maguire is a NT player and the best defender (that doesn't mean flawless) CB we've had since the Ferdinand-Vidic years. Period.
Not denying that. I'm not saying he is utter rubbish. Hes just not playing like he was hyped up to be
Closed Thread