United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-10-2022, 11:46 PM
no fun

Default OOT reds…..did Munich have a bearing on your reasons for supporting Utd?

Been out in town tonight, got chatting to a lovely Swedish family who were over for the game on Sunday and the spurs game tomorrow.

3 generations attending….guy I was chatting to was in his 30s, explained that his grandad used to tell him the tales of how great the babes were, and that when Munich happened a great groundswell of support built up throughout Scandinavia, and has been passed down through families. He explained to me that he was often accused of being a glory hunter, but he traces it all back to his grandad, and dad, bringing him up to follow the reds

So for those of you not from the peoples republic….did older family members steer you in the right direction, and was Munich a factor?

Unread 19-10-2022, 12:06 AM
jem

nope. bestie. irish uncle.

Unread 19-10-2022, 12:17 AM
BarryX

Born in Nottingham. The old fella took me to watch Cloughie's Forest play United when I was 4 or 5., against my mum's wishes. I spent the whole game listening to the away end and remembering the old man getting a bit nervous on the way out. At least that's how I remember it. Either way, was smitten from that day forth, and used to listen to as many games on the radio as possible, when they weren't on the TV (which wasn't very often as a nipper).

Unread 19-10-2022, 12:23 AM
Sparky***

Irish family. All support United, came over to England in the early 60s post Munich. Grandad starting working on the railways in Manchester before moving to London. All my cousins, uncles, grandad etc support United. There’s dozens of us now over here who all follow United simply because of my grandad and his brothers.

Obviously being in Manchester my grandad could either go watch city or United. He chose to go and watch United because they wore the same colours as Shelbourne who he supported back in Dublin.

Unread 19-10-2022, 08:43 AM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Been out in town tonight, got chatting to a lovely Swedish family who were over for the game on Sunday and the spurs game tomorrow.

3 generations attending….guy I was chatting to was in his 30s, explained that his grandad used to tell him the tales of how great the babes were, and that when Munich happened a great groundswell of support built up throughout Scandinavia, and has been passed down through families. He explained to me that he was often accused of being a glory hunter, but he traces it all back to his grandad, and dad, bringing him up to follow the reds

So for those of you not from the peoples republic….did older family members steer you in the right direction, and was Munich a factor?
Yes. (Dads side of the family from M'cr)

No.

Unread 19-10-2022, 08:57 AM
Pop

Grew up in a mostly scouse supporting family. Dad was the flower amongst the shit and weeds though, he was Utd, so I ended up Utd too.

Unread 19-10-2022, 09:13 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
nope. bestie. irish uncle.
Mine was Best. Wrote to him and told him I loved him.. sent me a picture and some bubble gum.

Unread 19-10-2022, 09:15 AM
Big Norm

Dad, Grandad and uncle all massive reds. Grandad went to school with Jackie Blanchflower and took dad and uncle to see them regularly in the 50's including 57 cup final when Blanchflower had to go in nets.

Dad tells great stories of some of the Babes games he was at to Wee Norm who is obviously now also a top red. Took me to my first game in 76. Gordon Hill scored a cracker.

Growing up, United always had a Northern Irish player I really liked playing for them McIlroy, Whiteside etc.).

Unread 19-10-2022, 09:18 AM
Seamus

its great to see so many irish reds on here

Unread 19-10-2022, 09:19 AM
redhegemony

Oh and my older cousin who I looked up to, sadly died in his 40s and his sister gave me his yard of ale and United leather belt.

Unread 19-10-2022, 09:30 AM
TravellingRed

My grandad was Irish but didn't like football and my nanna was an Aresnal fan as she was born on the street next to Highbury, they got evacuated up here in the second blitz. My uncle is a United fan, no idea why though he grew up in the babes era, so he used to take my dad. My dad started taking me in the early 80s.

Unread 19-10-2022, 09:38 AM
Finport Red

My dad ensured we all supported United though, like big Norm, having Bestie from Belfast, followed by Sammy Mac and Norman Whiteside (plus a host of others from Northern Ireland in the late 70s) helped too.

Unread 19-10-2022, 12:34 PM
Denis Irwell

The ole fella started taking me not long after the crash but I dont remember until about ‘62. As a little kid used to talk to blokes working on building sites about United and always remember a lot of em said they stopped going afterwards. Don’t know how committed they were but it was a common theme. I suspect some weren’t that regular, anyway.
Then there was a definite upsurge when Denis arrived and the team really started to look a threat with characters like him, mad Harry (Gregg) Paddy, Cantwell, Quixall and obvs, Charlton. After the 63 cup win and the arrival of George, it really took off, especially after the 65 title win. Spurs we’re still a force and Liverpool and United alternated title wins for 4 years. I think there was a resurgence of old fans returning but really, it was Denis, the absolute focal point of the team, followed by the emergence of George and Charlton re-emerging from his shell after his subdued, post traumatic reaction to the crash.
Grand dad had came over from Kildare to work on the docks 10 minutes from home off Ordsall Lane and another 10 mins walk to the ground. My old fella and his 4 brothers were all regulars and all lived in Salford. The 60s were such a vibrant time and I think the excitement of the team’s football far outweighed any Munich sentiment. It was rarely mentioned.
When United fans totally took over Upton Park to clinch the 67 title (they’ve never forgiven us) it really felt like we were on the crest of a wave, finally culminating in the unforgettable 68 EC win. There was some sense of triumph for the Babes but more so, a glorious future ahead. Little did we know.
I’m sure there was some sympathy and attachment to the club from oot but really… that team were special and although we felt some degree under achievement, the trinity were always there to dazzle and amaze like no other in the country. That’s what brought the fans in and the Stretford End was insane for about 10:years.
Although 3 out of 4 of my grandparents came out from Ireland, they were all supporters before the crash. Infact, even my old fella was more attached to the 48 team of Carey, Mitten, Delaney and local lad Pearson. Probably the usual impressionable young influence.
So, a bit of a myth that the club was built on post Munich sympathy. We were clocking the biggest gates before then. Magical players and even relegation revival brought an incredible buzz around the place, helped along by the Docs personality and vibrant young side. No continuous, mawkish obsession to try and garner the nations sympathy, unlike that set of weirdos to our west.

Cue: nrat.

Unread 19-10-2022, 12:35 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Irish family. All support United, came over to England in the early 60s post Munich. Grandad starting working on the railways in Manchester before moving to London. All my cousins, uncles, grandad etc support United. There’s dozens of us now over here who all follow United simply because of my grandad and his brothers.

Obviously being in Manchester my grandad could either go watch city or United. He chose to go and watch United because they wore the same colours as Shelbourne who he supported back in Dublin.
why do you hate the Irish so much then ?

Unread 19-10-2022, 12:43 PM
est.1878

pure not replied yet?

Unread 19-10-2022, 01:27 PM
andyroo

Think it did to some extent. When I was very little growing up in rural Australia I didn't really know much about proper football but I had a book about planes and there was a bit in it about the United accident, mainly to show how safety standards have improved over time, but it meant Manchester United was the first football club I knew about... by the time I saw football on the telly I was playing it in school and our kit was a red Adidas shirt, white shorts and black socks, so with all that in mind there was only going to be one club I'd go for. Craig £#%&!ing Johnston was playing for the dippers so most of my teammates shouted for them but my choice had already been made for me.

Unread 19-10-2022, 01:32 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Think it did to some extent. When I was very little growing up in rural Australia I didn't really know much about proper football but I had a book about planes and there was a bit in it about the United accident, mainly to show how safety standards have improved over time, but it meant Manchester United was the first football club I knew about... by the time I saw football on the telly I was playing it in school and our kit was a red Adidas shirt, white shorts and black socks, so with all that in mind there was only going to be one club I'd go for. Craig £#%&!ing Johnston was playing for the dippers so most of my teammates shouted for them but my choice had already been made for me.
Not much changed then....

Unread 19-10-2022, 03:56 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
why do you hate the Irish so much then ?
I don’t ffs. I just like winding them up. I especially like winding up plastic paddies like Jack Duckworth

Unread 19-10-2022, 04:03 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I don’t ffs. I just like winding them up. I especially like winding up plastic paddies like Jack Duckworth
You cheeky English bastard, I was born in Dublin, tbs.

Unread 19-10-2022, 10:36 PM
red in cumbria

Grandad (dad's dad) started supporting United during the war years for reasons that have become a bit lost in the mists of time. My dad was encouraged to do the same, but went through a bit of a Wolves phase as a lad because Billy Wright was his hero.

He admitted that Munich made him fully a red again.
Closed Thread