United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-05-2019, 06:11 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
It’s why you can’t stop posting about me. Gimp.

Try some critical thinking occasionally.

Unread 21-05-2019, 06:14 PM
Whalefish

Mitten's pretty well informed tbh, decent article that.

Unread 21-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Seriously, try it.

Unread 21-05-2019, 07:05 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Seriously, try it.
I find it odd you recommending something you can’t begin to actually apply yourself.

What you actually mean is ‘accept what I say and agree with me’.

Unread 21-05-2019, 09:49 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I find it odd you recommending something you can’t begin to actually apply yourself.

What you actually mean is ‘accept what I say and agree with me’.
No dunk. I mean try some critical thinking some time. Because no one who applied a hint of critical thought would have posted that snippet from mitten’s article thinking it was calling me out on something I’d previously said. Not only was it lacking critical thought, it yet again required a leap in logic. Something you do all the time when it comes to mourinho.

Here, I’ll help get you started with the critical thinking. Maybe it will stop you posting shite in future:

Is the journalist credible? Is that journalist’s statement based on 1 source or multiple independent sources?

If the statement that ‘the club being surprised to be told relatively late that another central defender was needed’ should be given some weight based on the source, is it therefore likely given what we knew about mourinho’s view of united’s defence, that no central defenders had been on mourinho’s initial transfer plans handed to the club prior to the summer? Or could it mean he’d asked for numerous and Woodward hadn’t got any of them, so this late request for maguire was then made?

Just something to get you started dunk. I’m sure you can come up with more questions.

With regards logic, to believe this mitten snippet ‘rather flies in the face of the oft peddled narrative of Jose being stitched up by Woodward last summer...’, and was thus calling me out on my bullshit, as you claimed when you bad repped me, you need to accept the logic that mourinho never wanted to improve united’s centre of defence, so had no central defenders on the list of summer transfer targets he handed to woodward, and only later surprised the club by asking to sign one.

In addition, the statement about maguire being a late request being true (or not) does not disprove that mourinho had asked for some central defenders at the start of the summer and had been let down. It flies in the face of nothing. If you logically thought it did, then I fear for your ability to operate in society.

Seriously dunk, give logic and critical thinking a try. It would be to your benefit.

Now feel free to respond with your customary emoji.

Unread 21-05-2019, 10:17 PM
utd99

How many centre backs did Mourinho want before he could get a half decent game out of one of them?

It’s not unreasonable for any club to ask that question imo, Woodward or no.

Unread 12-06-2019, 09:11 PM
AK14

https://www.espn.com/soccer/club/man...o-their-future

Quote:
It is a subtle change but sources have told ESPN FC that the atmosphere in recruitment meetings is already calmer than a year ago, when Mourinho felt he was being pressured into agreeing to the signing of Fred by head performance recruitment analyst Mick Court. (The Brazilian midfielder hasn't lived up to expectations, a problem made more painful given the £52 million cost required to sign him.) Rubbing salt into the wound is the fact that the same recruitment team vetoed Mourinho's pursuit of a centre-back: United recorded one of their worst seasons defensively, going 13 games without a clean sheet and conceding 54 goals, a club record in the Premier League era.

De Ligt was discussed but head of global scouting Marcel Bout, who was brought to the club by Van Gaal, argued the Dutchman was too susceptible to weight gain because of his family history. The dissent came a year after Woodward and right-hand man Matt Judge were advised that Ivan Perisic, another Mourinho target, was only worth £22m rather than Inter Milan's valuation of £40m.
No wonder we’ve signed so many duds over the last 6 years if this is true and the structure we’re using.

Unread 12-06-2019, 09:19 PM
Sparky***

"the atmosphere at recruitment meetings is already calmer"

AKA we've got a yes-man as manager

Unread 12-06-2019, 10:04 PM
guerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

He’s just so happy to be here.

Unread 13-06-2019, 06:56 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
How many centre backs did Mourinho want before he could get a half decent game out of one of them?

It’s not unreasonable for any club to ask that question imo, Woodward or no.
Liverpool didn't question klopp. City didn't question guardiola. Because they actually backed their manager.

Regardless of your thoughts on how good Mourinho is or was, when he's repeatedly told he can't have the players he thinks he needs (and not because we can't afford it), he's basically left in an untenable position.

Unread 13-06-2019, 08:12 AM
Hands of Scone

We didn’t sign one of the most promising young footballers of his generation because his grandad was a bit chunky?

Ffs

Unread 13-06-2019, 08:13 AM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
We didn’t sign one of the most promising young footballers of his generation because his grandad was a bit chunky?

Ffs
And yet we have Luke Shaw.

Unread 13-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
And Rooney did ok despite the rest of his family looking like the laziest inhabitants of the orangutan enclosure at Chester Zoo.

Unread 13-06-2019, 08:34 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
Whose general state of fitness has never given us any trouble.

Unread 13-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Bobda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Liverpool didn't question klopp. City didn't question guardiola. Because they actually backed their manager.

Regardless of your thoughts on how good Mourinho is or was, when he's repeatedly told he can't have the players he thinks he needs (and not because we can't afford it), he's basically left in an untenable position.
Final transfer window aside, Mourinho gave an option 1 and 2 for each position he wanted to strengthen. First year he got all his option 1s except from Mickey T, who was an option 2. This myth about Woodward imposing players on the manager is getting boring...

Unread 13-06-2019, 08:55 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobda
Final transfer window aside, Mourinho gave an option 1 and 2 for each position he wanted to strengthen. First year he got all his option 1s except from Mickey T, who was an option 2. This myth about Woodward imposing players on the manager is getting boring...
Assuming what you say is true - it was the final window that was the issue.

Unread 13-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
But it's apparently happened to both LVG and Mourinho, how many times does it have to happen before it goes beyond a 'myth'?

Unread 13-06-2019, 09:03 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
It matters if he got his players in the first two windows and not the third. Its a process ,you build on your squad every year. Find out whats wrong and look to improve. You dont go, oh we got who he wanted the last 2 years but this year we think dont agree with him.

Have a day off, " final window aside". Any window the manager isnt backed in should ring alarm bells. It shows a lack of conviction behind the manager. If jose wanted a player from league two they should have gone after him. No matter what the investment banker thought.

Unread 13-06-2019, 09:12 AM
andyroo

Oh Jesus Christ. Did you honestly want Mourinho in total control of who the club signs and doesn't? None of us want £#%&!ing Woodward to have any say, but that's because he's a clueless @#%&!. There should be some kind of process whoever the manager is. Klopp and Guardiola have criteria to work under. We literally didn't have any and signed any @#%&! we could and it manifestly wasn't working, culminating in the Sanchez fiasco, so now each time we do try and learn from past errors we end up making fresh new ones. Woodward is weak and vacillating, crossing Mourinho was only a mistake because it was him doing it.

Unread 13-06-2019, 09:21 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Because hes out of breath from walking from the back of the car park.
Closed Thread