United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:04 PM
believe

I thought a few weeks ago, Ole was doing all the right things, had made the right changes in the squad and made the right signings? I’m sure the board were part of that process.

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:08 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I thought a few weeks ago, Ole was doing all the right things, had made the right changes in the squad and made the right signings? I’m sure the board were part of that process.
People were questioning Maguire from the off, following the previous summers trademark Woodward shenanigans.

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:15 PM
BarryX

If the players had the same love for the club as the current manager, we'd have been higher up the league and wouldn't be having this debate NQAT (just ask Keano). Modern footballers suck.

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:19 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
People were questioning Maguire from the off, following the previous summers trademark Woodward shenanigans.
People questioned the price tag because it was almost double what the previous manager wanted to spend on him. Nobody blamed the board for that though, it was all Mourinhos fault.

My point is is that for 14 years people have only gone after the board whenever it suits.

2005 - everyone hates the board because we’re shit
2006-2009 no one mentions the board because we’re brilliant
2010 everyone hates the board because we’re shit again
2011-2013 no one mentions the board because Ferguson miraculously wins two league titles
2013-present day no one mentions the board because it’s easier to blame the managers because we’re spending lots of money and it’s accepted we’re in a period of transition apart from when Mourinho is here because he’s just a @#%&! who cause all the problems.
Present day everyone hates the board because we’re shit and it’s absolute sacrilege to lay any of the blame at the managers door

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:23 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
People questioned the price tag because it was almost double what the previous manager wanted to spend on him. Nobody blamed the board for that though, it was all Mourinhos fault.

My point is is that for 14 years people have only gone after the board whenever it suits.

2005 - everyone hates the board because we’re shit
2006-2009 no one mentions the board because we’re brilliant
2010 everyone hates the board because we’re shit again
2011-2013 no one mentions the board because Ferguson miraculously wins two league titles
2013-present day no one mentions the board because it’s easier to blame the managers because we’re spending lots of money and it’s accepted we’re in a period of transition apart from when Mourinho is here because he’s just a c*** who cause all the problems.
Present day everyone hates the board because we’re shit and it’s absolute sacrilege to lay any of the blame at the managers door
Said it previously but there is a balance to be found. You say everyone but I just see a vocal few constantly sharing their opinion and drowning everyone else out. I wanted LVG to stay, Mou ended up shooting himself in the face but I still had no doubt that he himself had been mugged off by Woodward/the board. The common theme among all the managers not working out seems to be the board, and id rather we sort that before flinging ourselves from manager to manager with no end in sight.

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:30 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
There’s one variable in all this that will never change, and that’s time. We could fire Ole tomorrow, hire Pochettino the next day and all the problems are still here. Only difference is that in a years time when we’re still shit -because let’s face it, he’ll have inherited a squad that needs a vast overhaul, just like Solskjaer did - you’ll be arguing he should have time to fix the problems and others will be saying we should never have hired him because he’s never won a pot in his career; and the whole thing keeps going round and round. The arguments will remain, only the usernames will change.

If we’re going to adopt the Chelsea model of throwing shit at the wall and hoping at some point it’ll stick then we should be honest and tell new managers they have six months to turn us around, with minimal support, or they’re out. I can see the queue forming now...

We are where we are because we have owners who don’t understand or care about football, an accountant chairman who probably thought the job would be as easy as appointing the manager with the best track record available and letting them get on with it, and a set of those same managers who spent poorly, promoted poorly, played shit on a stick football and wasted hundreds of millions of the clubs money. These are the problems that anyone would face. They didn’t cause them, but they’d have to deal with them, and it wouldn’t matter if you stuck in Klopp, Guardiola, Fergie or dug up Rinus Michels, and they would face the same problems; it is how it is.

Ole is making mistakes, and may ultimately fail, but if we’re not realistic about the time this job would take anyone then we’re contributing to making it impossible.
Good post.

I agree with all of it but would just rather give Poch the time than Ole. I'm not denying there are obvious problems at the club but if we are gonna let someone rebuild, I would rather give Pochettino a chance to do it.

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:35 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Good post.

I agree with all of it but would just rather give Poch the time than Ole. I'm not denying there are obvious problems at the club but if we are gonna let someone rebuild, I would rather give Pochettino a chance to do it.
Fair point tbf.

Poch has proven he can improve players and work with a restricted transfer budget. But will it solve all our problems? Probably not and it’s very likely we’d be here discussing Poch’s role at the club 18 months from now.

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:39 PM
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
There’s one variable in all this that will never change, and that’s time. We could fire Ole tomorrow, hire Pochettino the next day and all the problems are still here. Only difference is that in a years time when we’re still shit -because let’s face it, he’ll have inherited a squad that needs a vast overhaul, just like Solskjaer did - you’ll be arguing he should have time to fix the problems and others will be saying we should never have hired him because he’s never won a pot in his career; and the whole thing keeps going round and round. The arguments will remain, only the usernames will change.

If we’re going to adopt the Chelsea model of throwing shit at the wall and hoping at some point it’ll stick then we should be honest and tell new managers they have six months to turn us around, with minimal support, or they’re out. I can see the queue forming now...

We are where we are because we have owners who don’t understand or care about football, an accountant chairman who probably thought the job would be as easy as appointing the manager with the best track record available and letting them get on with it, and a set of those same managers who spent poorly, promoted poorly, played shit on a stick football and wasted hundreds of millions of the clubs money. These are the problems that anyone would face. They didn’t cause them, but they’d have to deal with them, and it wouldn’t matter if you stuck in Klopp, Guardiola, Fergie or dug up Rinus Michels, and they would face the same problems; it is how it is.

Ole is making mistakes, and may ultimately fail, but if we’re not realistic about the time this job would take anyone then we’re contributing to making it impossible.
NRAT

Ole out.

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:39 PM
tatty

Poch is a better manager than Ole.

That's all that matters imo.

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:40 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Fair point tbf.

Poch has proven he can improve players and work with a restricted transfer budget. But will it solve all our problems? Probably not and it’s very likely we’d be here discussing Poch’s role at the club 18 months from now.
I have probably only watched spurs 5 or 6 times in the last 3 or so years so I’m not being facetious but which players did he improve at Spurs?

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:44 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Good post.

Be honest.

You wouldn't give anyone time. Klopp, Pep, Fergie - wouldn't make a jot of difference.

3 seasons maximum, with a lot of moaning along the way.

Poch might rebuild the club into a top 4 proposition. Which would take him a good while. But after that you'd be looking for a winner.

Ole? He's won things. Trinkets compared to the PL but something. I'd rather hang my hat on that.

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:49 PM
AK14

Quote:
I have probably only watched spurs 5 or 6 times in the last 3 or so years so I’m not being facetious but which players did he improve at Spurs?
All of them.

Unread 25-01-2020, 06:59 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
The issue i have and have said before, regardless of how bad recruitment has been, a proper manager would be able to get that squad playing better.
Like Van Gaal or Jose you mean?

Unread 25-01-2020, 07:06 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Like Van Gaal or Jose you mean?
LVG was so dull he got sacked after winning the cup.

Jose was toxic and finished before he signed for us and should never have been hired. The fact spurs have got him is insane

Ole if sacked, will be wanted by which clubs? He's an interim manager, he shouldn't be here.

Unread 25-01-2020, 07:12 PM
believe

Quote:
All of them.
Oh right. When’s he coming?

AK14

Quote:
Oh right. When’s he coming?

92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
LVG was so dull he got sacked after winning the cup.

Jose was toxic and finished before he signed for us and should never have been hired. The fact spurs have got him is insane

Ole if sacked, will be wanted by which clubs? He's an interim manager, he shouldn't be here.
LVG got £#%&!ed over by Ed Woodweasel. As soon as that @#%&! knew he could get Jose, the knives were out for Van Gaal. Ole's part of the problem, but having had Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho fail before him suggests there are bigger issues than the manager at the club.

Unread 25-01-2020, 07:27 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
All of them.
He didn’t he sold 36. Brought in 41.

Improving players working within a budget you say step forward David Moyes.

What evidence is there that Potch would do better with this group of players he may or may not do no one knows. We all know lots need to be replaced. We shouldn’t be appointing someone on such a limited brief. It should be’:

‘How will you win the Premier League?’

At least if he does get the job there is some continuity in terms of system and he does promote young players.

At some point we have to stick with someone

Unread 25-01-2020, 07:36 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony

And that’s the only fact that matters. The rest is just opinion.

Unread 25-01-2020, 07:39 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
He didn’t he sold 36. Brought in 41.

Improving players working within a budget you say step forward David Moyes.

What evidence is there that Potch would do better with this group of players he may or may not do no one knows. We all know lots need to be replaced. We shouldn’t be appointing someone on such a limited brief. It should be’:

‘How will you win the Premier League?’

At least if he does get the job there is some continuity in terms of system and he does promote young players.

I didn’t say he didn’t buy anyone, I said he improved players which he obviously did.

Rose, Dembele, Kane, Vertonghen were already at the club (I think?) and all improved under him. He also bought little known players and helped them become international players (Trippier, Ali, Dier).

He also went a couple of seasons without signing anyone(?) yet still helped spurs to a champions league final.

I’m not saying he’s the answer to all our problems, but he's shown he has the ability to turn a team that’s in transition into a team that can challenge (although ultimately fall short).

Edit- Also looks like he signed 27 players and not 41?

Not the best list of names though tbf
Closed Thread