United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 19-04-2022, 08:52 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
He would be much better with some decent cover in front and full backs who could defend and keep their positions.
He has looked decent in the past and could again but the usual knee-jerkers have kicked off, totally overlooking the above. Not even Norwich have a centre-back who’s gk routinely chucks em in and leaves the area he should be commanding to the defenders. Shaw constantly gets in his way, whilst totally forgetting he is actually a fb, but allows oppo wingers to raid at will. Then there’s the huge vacuum that is the mf which allows any team a run-up at the defence.

Unread 19-04-2022, 08:58 AM
NedKelly

There’s nothing knee jerk about knowing Maguire is a horrendous footballer and that he shouldn’t be captain. Some of us knew this before he even came here. He shouldn’t be playing football, he should be kept in a lab and observed as imo he’s the missing link.

Unread 19-04-2022, 09:20 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
There’s nothing knee jerk about knowing Maguire is a horrendous footballer and that he shouldn’t be captain. Some of us knew this before he even came here. He shouldn’t be playing football, he should be kept in a lab and observed as imo he’s the missing link.
Passing your opinion as fact, doesn’t make it so, mate. We should do better than him but that’s hardly unique to the lcb position.

At least you typed “a horrendous”. Full marks for this. Tempted to issue some green.

Unread 19-04-2022, 09:53 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
He has looked decent in the past and could again but the usual knee-jerkers have kicked off, totally overlooking the above. Not even Norwich have a centre-back who’s gk routinely chucks em in and leaves the area he should be commanding to the defenders. Shaw constantly gets in his way, whilst totally forgetting he is actually a fb, but allows oppo wingers to raid at will. Then there’s the huge vacuum that is the mf which allows any team a run-up at the defence.
Pretty much this.

He’s been terrible this season but who for us hasn’t, but he’s 29 and we should be looking to sell and upgrade soon. The way the bed wetting crew have behaved is embarrassing.

Unread 19-04-2022, 09:56 AM
dunk

Do not underestimate the keeper. Christ he’s shit. He makes the occasional save, but that is one part of the goalkeepers job ffs. Against Norwich there were 2 crosses that drifted through his 6 yard box and he just watched them go, terrified. The effect of that behaviour on all the defenders is massive. I really, really £#%&!ing hate him. I don’t give a shit that he made a quality stop seconds later, he causes most of the £#%&!ing problems he has to then deal with either by being a @#%&! or being quiet or his shite kicking.

Maguire is shit though.

Unread 19-04-2022, 09:56 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Pretty much this.

He’s been terrible this season but who for us hasn’t, but he’s 29 and we should be looking to sell and upgrade soon. The way the bed wetting crew have behaved is embarrassing.
We have more pressing concerns...full backs. midfield, striker

Unread 19-04-2022, 10:01 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Do not underestimate the keeper. Christ he’s shit. He makes the occasional save, but that is one part of the goalkeepers job ffs. Against Norwich there were 2 crosses that drifted through his 6 yard box and he just watched them go, terrified. The effect of that behaviour on all the defenders is massive. I really, really £#%&!ing hate him. I don’t give a shit that he made a quality stop seconds later, he causes most of the £#%&!ing problems he has to then deal with either by being a @#%&! or being quiet or his shite kicking.

Maguire is shit though.

You look at the top keepers now and they very rarely have to pull off wonder saves. They tend to rush the oncoming striker and force a mistake or just come off their line and clear the ball before a chance occurs. One ball over the top of our defence and the opposition know that De Gea will be rooted to his line 30 yards behind the defence.

Unread 19-04-2022, 10:05 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
You look at the top keepers now and they very rarely have to pull off wonder saves. They tend to rush the oncoming striker and force a mistake or just come off their line and clear the ball before a chance occurs. One ball over the top of our defence and the opposition know that De Gea will be rooted to his line 30 yards behind the defence.
He’d have been great in the 70’s and 80’s tbf.

Unread 19-04-2022, 10:13 AM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
This.
Making every excuse for Slab while constantly slating De Gea is bizarre.
One is amongst our two best performers for the season (and has been for many seasons) while the other has done £#%&! all for us and should be playing for Preston.

Unread 19-04-2022, 10:26 AM
dunk

I think De Gea could do better than Preston tbf.

Both need £#%&!ing off asap.

Unread 19-04-2022, 10:31 AM
AK14

Quote:

Maguire is shit though.
We’d be mad to renew his contract imo.

Overall he’s been good for us over the years but time we move on and get a modern keeper.

Obviously we’ll hand him a a new 4 year contract on 400k a week

Unread 19-04-2022, 10:37 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

Maguire is shit though.
I don’t quite share the same level of condemnation for him, but the assessment is correct.

His worldie saves mask the other elements of his game, which are pretty much all shit:

Rooted to his line
Too easy to beat 1 on 1
Shit on the ball
Can’t get near a penalty

He’s improved over the last year, but that wasn’t exactly difficult because his confidence was on the floor.

When Henderson came in last year, we briefly saw the benefits of a keeper who will come and deal with things. Problem with Henderson is that he’s shit in different ways. Neither are good enough.

We have a very passive, timid defence. Luke Shaw is a moron. Maguire m, awb and Lindelof are shrinking violets. The reason Dalot and Telles appeal to a degree is that they’ve got a bit of personality in how they play….but they’re both a bit shit too. De Gea only adds to the uncertainty in the backline.

Any time he makes a class save (and there are plenty) people bump
His thread, but this isn’t the issue with him. It’s not like a striker scoring goals. You can always justify their inclusion if they’re doing that, but keepers are different. VDS was my favourite United keeper ever. His composure, his command of the box was just outstanding and it spread through the team. I can barely remember him making a save.

Didn’t ETH ditch his first choice keeper because he was shit on the ball? He’ll be in for a shock with De Gea.

We won’t shift him because of his stinking great contract though.

Unread 19-04-2022, 10:40 AM
jem

Quote:
I really, really £#%&!ing hate him.
yshs.

Unread 19-04-2022, 10:51 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yshs.
I have. You quoted it.

Unread 19-04-2022, 10:52 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I don’t quite share the same level of condemnation for him, but the assessment is correct.

His worldie saves mask the other elements of his game, which are pretty much all shit:

Rooted to his line
Too easy to beat 1 on 1
Shit on the ball
Can’t get near a penalty

He’s improved over the last year, but that wasn’t exactly difficult because his confidence was on the floor.

When Henderson came in last year, we briefly saw the benefits of a keeper who will come and deal with things. Problem with Henderson is that he’s shit in different ways. Neither are good enough.

We have a very passive, timid defence. Luke Shaw is a moron. Maguire m, awb and Lindelof are shrinking violets. The reason Dalot and Telles appeal to a degree is that they’ve got a bit of personality in how they play….but they’re both a bit shit too. De Gea only adds to the uncertainty in the backline.

Any time he makes a class save (and there are plenty) people bump
His thread, but this isn’t the issue with him. It’s not like a striker scoring goals. You can always justify their inclusion if they’re doing that, but keepers are different. VDS was my favourite United keeper ever. His composure, his command of the box was just outstanding and it spread through the team. I can barely remember him making a save.

Didn’t ETH ditch his first choice keeper because he was shit on the ball? He’ll be in for a shock with De Gea.

We won’t shift him because of his stinking great contract though.
His contract is up at the end of next season I believe

We'll probably sign him to a new deal on improved terms

Unread 19-04-2022, 10:55 AM
jem

Quote:
I have. You quoted it.
it doesn't surprise me that you think this makes sense.

Unread 19-04-2022, 10:57 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
This.
Making every excuse for Slab while constantly slating De Gea is bizarre.
One is amongst our two best performers for the season (and has been for many seasons) while the other has done £#%&! all for us and should be playing for Preston.
Ddg has been shit for 4 years. Minimum.

Makes saves that Burnley gk makes but just ignore the rest of it. Or do you just not know?

Unread 19-04-2022, 11:00 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it doesn't surprise me that you think this makes sense.
It doesn’t surprise me that you believe your attempt at sarcasm was in any way clever or amusing.

Unread 19-04-2022, 11:09 AM
jem

Quote:
It doesn’t surprise me that you believe your attempt at sarcasm was in any way clever or amusing.
ok, oscar.

Unread 19-04-2022, 11:10 AM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Ddg has been shit for 4 years. Minimum.

Makes saves that Burnley gk makes but just ignore the rest of it. Or do you just not know?
Passing your opinion as fact doesn't make it so.