Tierra Del Fuego

Default is riquelme still at boca?

cheers

Unread 12-09-2007, 05:35 PM
user_name

no

Unread 12-09-2007, 05:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Back at Villarreal now, although at the moment he isn't in Pellegrini's plans. Last I heard he was talking about training hard every day and waiting for that call on any given weekend to be selected for the match squad.

Unread 12-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Rossi the Red

Didn't he sign for Atletico Madrid?

Unread 12-09-2007, 05:45 PM
you_are_my_solskjaer

Was just a loan deal to the end of the season. Pretty sure he's back at Villareal.

Unread 12-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Back at Villarreal now, although at the moment he isn't in Pellegrini's plans. Last I heard he was talking about training hard every day and waiting for that call on any given weekend to be selected for the match squad.
I would be very surprised if he ever plays for Villareal again. Then again, I also thought they'd be forced into agreeing terms with Boca when the transfer window closed. @#%&!s.

Unread 12-09-2007, 05:57 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi the Red
Didn't he sign for Atletico Madrid?
No.

Just as I predicted here.

http://www.utdforum.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=15

Unread 12-09-2007, 05:59 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I would be very surprised if he ever plays for Villareal again. Then again, I also thought they'd be forced into agreeing terms with Boca when the transfer window closed. @#%&!s.
Do you know what the exact nature of his fallout with Pellegrini was? I never really found out what happened there.

Unread 12-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Do you know what the exact nature of his fallout with Pellegrini was? I never really found out what happened there.
I have heard many things. I don't think anyone knows the whole story.

But it does seem quite clear the most important factor was that Pellegrini asked Riquelme to do extra training, and Riquelme said he didn't want do. I also know that Riquelme left for Argentina a number times, usually for reasonable reasons such as the birth of his son and for the funeral of the father of his good friend Chelo Delgado, and the club felt he didn't express enough gratitude for this. He also reportedly scheduled a press conference to announce his retirement from international football without the permission of the club.

Then there was the issue of Sorin, Riquelme's best friend at the club, being sold. Roman wasn't very happy with this.

Anyway, in the end Roig was asked, it's uncertain whether by Roman or Pellegrini, to make a choice between the two men. He sided with Pellegrini.

Unread 12-09-2007, 06:54 PM
koppas

Serenity/Southside:

Are you based in South America or something? You have a £#%&!ing good understanding of things Latino football related.

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:11 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I have heard many things. I don't think anyone knows the whole story.

But it does seem quite clear the most important factor was that Pellegrini asked Riquelme to do extra training, and Riquelme said he didn't want do. I also know that Riquelme left for Argentina a number times, usually for reasonable reasons such as the birth of his son and for the funeral of the father of his good friend Chelo Delgado, and the club felt he didn't express enough gratitude for this. He also reportedly scheduled a press conference to announce his retirement from international football without the permission of the club.

Then there was the issue of Sorin, Riquelme's best friend at the club, being sold. Roman wasn't very happy with this.

Anyway, in the end Roig was asked, it's uncertain whether by Roman or Pellegrini, to make a choice between the two men. He sided with Pellegrini.
Yeah, I knew the club were asked to make a choice and they sided with the manager, which is probably always the best thing to do.

Did you watch the match last night, against Australia? I was wondering how Carlitos was looking. I see he mentioned wanting to improve his fitness, which I reckon is the only thing holding him back at the moment. I've seen enough from his performances so far to believe that when he's fully up and running (and playing with our best players) he'll settle quite quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Serenity/Southside:

Are you based in South America or something? You have a £#%&!ing good understanding of things Latino football related.
Nope.

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:18 PM
MUFC One Love

S/Side. I have no worries about Tevez at all, now Ronaldo and Rooney back we're gonna see just how good he is. Personally I think he is going to be fantastic.

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
S/Side. I have no worries about Tevez at all, now Ronaldo and Rooney back we're gonna see just how good he is. Personally I think he is going to be fantastic.
To be perfectly honest, up until this summer I always fancied the idea of Torres at United. However, Tevez is probably a better fit in terms of his attitude and character. While there is never certainty that players will do as well as you hope, with Tevez you are guaranteed that he will give absolutely everything he has to succeed here, and will never shirk his responsibilities.

I cannot wait to see him play in a front three with Rooney and Ronaldo. He's shown in the past that he can adapt and play with new players quite quickly. When he's fully fit and playing with our top players, I think he'll be a sensation.

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Serenity Now

The best description I have heard of Roman was something along the lines of him having the soul of an artist inside the body of a footballer. By this I don't mean that he is pretentious or some kind of prima donna, he is anything but, rather it seems, to me at least, to be a somewhat fitting description of his character.

Another thing that has perhaps acted against him has been the way that he has never turned back on where he came from and who this makes him. He has never even tried to be something or someone else, even when this has hurt his career.

I respect him for this, but it also means that he is not at all easy to work with. Unfortunately it's very difficult for someone like this to find a place in the modern game.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:29 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, up until this summer I always fancied the idea of Torres at United. However, Tevez is probably a better fit in terms of his attitude and character. While there is never certainty that players will do as well as you hope, with Tevez you are guaranteed that he will give absolutely everything he has to succeed here, and will never shirk his responsibilities.

I cannot wait to see him play in a front three with Rooney and Ronaldo. He's shown in the past that he can adapt and play with new players quite quickly. When he's fully fit and playing with our top players, I think he'll be a sensation.
Read some quotes yesterday from Tevez, he was talking about how much he was looking forward to playing with Rooney. Hs enthusiasm and desire to improve and do well came across very well. I found it very encouraging. I have a feeling that Carlitos is going to show his true quality to United fans after the international break.

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Grimson

Quote:
The best description I have heard of Roman was something along the lines of him having the soul of an artist inside the body of a footballer.
I will grant you the 'soul of an artist part.'

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
The best description I have heard of Roman was something along the lines of him having the soul of an artist inside the body of a footballer. By this I don't mean that he is pretentious or some kind of prima donna, he is anything but, rather it seems, to me at least, to be a somewhat fitting description of his character.

Another thing that has perhaps acted against him has been the way that he has never turned back on where he came from and who this makes him. He has never even tried to be something or someone else, even when this has hurt career.

I respect him for this, but it also means that he is not at all easy to work with. Unfortunately it's very difficult for someone like this to find a place in the modern game.

That's my opinion, anyway.
It is difficult, although for a couple of years Riquelme and Villarreal was a perfect fit. It's a shame it didn't last. I wonder if he would have preferred never to have left Boca in the first place. He didn't seem in a rush to leave (I think he was almost 24 when he went to Barca and had been on the big clubs' radar for a while) and he never came across as overly enthusiastic on the various moves around the continent he was linked with over the summer.

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:36 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Read some quotes yesterday from Tevez, he was talking about how much he was looking forward to playing with Rooney. Hs enthusiasm and desire to improve and do well came across very well. I found it very encouraging. I have a feeling that Carlitos is going to show his true quality to United fans after the international break.
Hopefully, although playing in Australia last night was hardly ideal preparation for an equally ludicrous midday kick-off at Goodison on Saturday.

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Did you watch the match last night, against Australia? I was wondering how Carlitos was looking. I see he mentioned wanting to improve his fitness, which I reckon is the only thing holding him back at the moment. I've seen enough from his performances so far to believe that when he's fully up and running (and playing with our best players) he'll settle quite quickly.
Carlitos has looked fitter with each passing match. He's still not there yet, but it's clear he is getting closer. Unfortunately his touch still looks some way off, hopefully this will come soon enough.

It did look like the journey to Australia took it out of him though. Fitness wise he seemed fairly sharp early on, but he quite obviously tired dramatically after about 35-40 minutes.

Messi produced some moments of individual brilliance, but seemed to be lacking a bit of his usual pace and acceleration. Like Tevez, he also tired a lot towards the end of the first half.

H****e did his usual thing of getting forward and wasting every chance to create something.

Gabi Milito looked useless again. Mascherano passed the ball about reasonably well, but defensively wasn't at his best.

Demichelis was probably the only one who really impressed overall.

They were clearly missing Riquelme as well. With all due respect to Pocho Insua, he's obviously not on the same planet as Roman.

Unread 12-09-2007, 08:23 PM
S/Side.Red

Insua? I'm surprised he's in the starting lineup. No Aimar or Lucho Gonzalez?
Closed Thread