United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-05-2016, 02:04 PM
Billy Redface

I'd happily take two years of short-term fixing to get us on the right track.

Get a winning mentality back, raise the standard back to where it should be and assess our options after that. That's if Mourinho does want to/need to leave.

As much as the future is important, we need to stay relevant in the present too. The further we slip, the less attractive a proposition we become to build a future.

And moyes and lvg have been short-term too. Not intentionally, but still.

Unread 18-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
One might argue it did last. Chelsea have won more trophies in the last 10 years than Manchester United.

Even so, isn't that how football club's should be? They should be able to change managers and not have the entire place implode because the whole institution was utterly beholden to one man.
abromovich's legacy is that he bought a seat at the top of english football.
he £#%&!ed mourinho off 3 years in and carried on winning.

it's the complete opposite of the galzer's legacy at united which is built entirely off the success of alex ferguson.

Unread 18-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
are you seriously saying mourinho left a legacy at chelsea?
Hang about, he's their most successful manager ever.

How can you even argue that is not a legacy? Regardless of how it came about

Unread 18-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
abromovich's legacy is that he bought a seat at the top of english football.
he £#%&!ed mourinho off 3 years in and carried on winning.

it's the complete opposite of the galzer's legacy at united which is built entirely off the success of alex ferguson.
Exactly. Manchester United isn't Manchester United any more until we win something significant with another manager who isn't Ferguson.Until then it's "Alex Ferguson FC" because it would appear the club lurches from one fiasco to another without him at the helm.

Unread 18-05-2016, 02:35 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Red
It's going to be total £#%&!ing carnage on here this time next week if he's still here
Cant wait tbh

Unread 18-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Hang about, he's their most successful manager ever.

How can you even argue that is not a legacy? Regardless of how it came about
because it has not been dependable on who their manager is.

it's abramovich's legacy that's being built.

Unread 18-05-2016, 03:13 PM
jem

king louis's post-final press conference....

Unread 18-05-2016, 03:19 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
I'm surprised you haven't topped yourself with all the negativity you spout on here, you must be on the verge of a breakdown

I prefer my junior football threads tbh.
I'm quite a light hearted joker actually, as several forum members will attest to.

Unread 18-05-2016, 03:28 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm quite a light hearted joker actually, as several forum members will attest to.

Unread 18-05-2016, 03:44 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
well fair enough, but it never lasts - 2 years at porto, 2 at chelsea really, then 1 at inter, then 1 at real, 1 at chelsea again - his career legacy is that he's a short term fix. he'd be a top class managerial consultant ;-}
Though it could be argued that a "short term fix" is far from the worst option for United right now.

Unread 18-05-2016, 04:35 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:

Unread 18-05-2016, 04:46 PM
puressence

Not sure why @#%&!kite has started this thread he said this about 3 months ago. @#%&!kite was probably on all 4s at the time being serviced by a french bucktoothed dwarf

Unread 18-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Not sure why @#%&!kite has started this thread he said this about 3 months ago. @#%&!kite was probably on all 4s at the time being serviced by a french bucktoothed dwarf
I can assure you, I'm not french.

Unread 18-05-2016, 04:56 PM
puressence

Quote:
I can assure you, I'm not french.
Bucktoothed dwarf ?

Unread 18-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Bucktoothed dwarf ?
whatever floats your boat, big boy.

Unread 18-05-2016, 05:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
fact is that most people are very excited by having martial and rashford in our attack.
One of the big concerns for me is that it's vital that those two continue to flourish. I worry slightly about Martial under Mourinho. We know he doesn't favour wide players who don't defend much, and if he does indulge them it's usually at the cost of a more defensive full-back who doesn't cross the halfway line. For me, Shaw and Martial down the left is one of the things I'm excited about next year.

For all the nonsense spoken about how we have set up this season, there is not that much responsibility on the wide players to be great defenders. Hence it often being Martial and Mata. I hope that aspect of the play continues. Under Mou, it would likely come at the cost of restricting the full backs, two defensive midfielders and little encouragement from th CBs to get involved in the play.

Can still work fine, of course, but again it's the team being turned upside down again, rather than continuing the building.

Unread 18-05-2016, 05:08 PM
75Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Cant wait tbh
It's close, but I can't see the carnage on here making up for him still being here

Unread 18-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
I want lvg out (and jose in) as much as the next guy, but i do believe alot of his stuff gets lost in translation. Im sure he meant something else by it
Pretty obvious he means the team is a work in progress rather than the finished article, so patience is required rather than expecting world domination. If he hadn't lost the dressing room 6 months ago, he'd probably have a point. But as he has, it's not going to get any better if he stays, and he's retiring in 12 months anyway. Utterly pointless to stick with him under the circumstances. The risk:reward ratio for keeping him just isn't right.

Quote:
fact is that most people are very excited by having martial and rashford in our attack.

and the fact is that you cannot expect them to lead us to a proper title challenge in their first season.

the aim was to at least get top 4. we failed. the manager failed. we missed out on goal difference in the end, so it was close. we're in the cup final. exciting times...
Van gaal's aim was to go close to the title and finish top 3 and then win it next season.. And that objective was set with the expectation city and Chelsea would be the teams likely to finish above us.

Quote:
mourinho instilled a winning mentality. he's a great manager when things are going well. he falls out with people though, and seems to hold a grudge. he hasn't built much of a legacy anywhere. his methods have never been retained after he's left as far as i'm aware.
Judging by the state of United, Ferguson didn't build much of a legacy either.

In fact, everything you just said above would be equally as applicable if you changed 'mourinho' to 'Ferguson'.

Quote:
well fair enough, but it never lasts - 2 years at porto, 2 at chelsea really, then 1 at inter, then 1 at real, 1 at chelsea again - his career legacy is that he's a short term fix. he'd be a top class managerial consultant ;-}
Name a longer serving manager at Chelsea or Real Madrid in recent memory.

Unread 18-05-2016, 08:02 PM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Pretty obvious he means the team is a work in progress rather than the finished article, so patience is required rather than expecting world domination. If he hadn't lost the dressing room 6 months ago, he'd probably have a point. But as he has, it's not going to get any better if he stays, and he's retiring in 12 months anyway. Utterly pointless to stick with him under the circumstances. The risk:reward ratio for keeping him just isn't right.

Van gaal's aim was to go close to the title and finish top 3 and then win it next season.. And that objective was set with the expectation city and Chelsea would be the teams likely to finish above us.

Judging by the state of United, Ferguson didn't build much of a legacy either.

In fact, everything you just said above would be equally as applicable if you changed 'mourinho' to 'Ferguson'.

Name a longer serving manager at Chelsea or Real Madrid in recent memory.
Oh Shit!

Unread 18-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
And moyes and lvg have been short-term too. Not intentionally, but still.
Given his age, van gaal was intentionally short term. And there wasn't a chance in hell Giggs was woodward's or the Glazers intended successor. It just helped club politics.
Closed Thread