United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-07-2023, 11:49 AM
marlo

Default the audit of ole gunnar solskjaer

the man who gave us the cultural reboot...

looking back on the 3 years he spent at the club.
a lot on here were sad when he left, cried with him and all that.
I didnt buy it as he did much more damage than good during his tenure but I'm not stubborn I can be wrong on this..

so performing an audit on his time here......

what good did he do?

I but up a few highlights ...

- players signed:
Maguire 80m
sancho 75m
bruno 55m
varane 40m
vdb 40m
diallo 25m
Daniel james 15m
ronaldo 15m
telles 14m
nearly 360m spent...

-decided to keep pogba instead of selling him while his stock was relatively high

-started Maguire every game no matter what..

feel free to add some tangible positives from his tenure.

Unread 12-07-2023, 11:56 AM
jem

just to be clear... are you saying varane and bruno were negatives?

Unread 12-07-2023, 12:00 PM
NedKelly

Was shocking in the end. His tactical set up worked in some of the big games (iirc he had a good record against City, didn’t he?), but the moment teams started setting up against it he had nothing.

I don’t think all the blame can be laid at his feet re: signings. Didn’t Woodward start pitching to the press that we were changing our approach from buying “superstars” and were instead looking to sign young players from the UK? It’s no coincidence that the moment Woodward left we actually had a decent transfer window.

The worst thing he ever did was make Maguire captain.

Unread 12-07-2023, 12:13 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I think with Marlo it’s fair to assume everything is negative and work from there

Unread 12-07-2023, 12:20 PM
armchair

He was a reaction to the outright depression we were in. He was a great temporary manager but should've never been offered the job permanently. Very hard job for him to turn down, so I don't blame him.

Unread 12-07-2023, 12:24 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo

I didnt buy it as he did much more damage than good during his tenure but I'm not stubborn I can be wrong on this..

what good did he do?

- players signed:
Maguire 80m
sancho 75m
bruno 55m
varane 40m
vdb 40m
diallo 25m
Daniel james 15m
ronaldo 15m
telles 14m
nearly 360m spent...

-decided to keep pogba instead of selling him while his stock was relatively high

You said recently you were defending his tenure IRL.

Care to share what some of those positions and positives were?

Unread 12-07-2023, 12:26 PM
jem

he was the jomo antidote. def shouldn't have been hired permanently unless they listened on haaland. even then. however, would we have 10h now?

Unread 12-07-2023, 12:27 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

what good did he do?

- players signed:
Maguire 80m
sancho 75m
bruno 55m
varane 40m
vdb 40m
diallo 25m
Daniel james 15m
ronaldo 15m
telles 14m
nearly 360m spent...

You forgot the worst of the lot: AWB @£50m

Was great in the temporary role. Giving him the job full time then letting him loose on transfers was horrendous.

We could have had a real manager like Erik for those 3 seasons. Woodward and the Glazers knew that a lot of the fanbase would lap it up though. And they were right to be fair.

It’d be like the dippers appointing Gerrard now and leaving him as manager for 3 years. We’d be rightly loving every minute of it.

Unread 12-07-2023, 12:29 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

what good did he do?

- players signed:
Maguire 80m
sancho 75m
bruno 55m
varane 40m
vdb 40m
diallo 25m
Daniel james 15m
ronaldo 15m
telles 14m
nearly 360m spent...

"That's football..."

Unread 12-07-2023, 12:50 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He was a reaction to the outright depression we were in. He was a great temporary manager but should've never been offered the job permanently. Very hard job for him to turn down, so I don't blame him.
Absolutely that.

Unread 12-07-2023, 12:52 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
nope just listen all his signings and there’s literally only 2 that were good deals.

I will be posted the new contracts he handed out as well while here.

Unread 12-07-2023, 12:55 PM
Jethro

Tarnished his legacy setting the prices for his buys nqat.

Unread 12-07-2023, 01:35 PM
dunk

Ok, well let’s have a look at the players he was attempting to upgrade on in that time…

Rojo, Bailly, Smalling, Valencia, Darmian, Young, Herrera, Fellaini, Mata, Sanchez, Pereira, basically no RW whatsoever, Lukaku… several in there in their mid-30’s

I’d say he upgraded on the vast majority of those with the players that came in tbf.

Then there’s the players he actually wanted… Haaland, Bellingham, Camavinga, Grealish, Osimhen, Tonali, De Ligt, Thiago that I can remember off the top of my head that the club either were too slow or wouldn’t sanction the cost of, so fair to say that those he did get weren’t first choice in the main. Telles being a prime example, arriving purely because he was the cheapest option IIRC, to fill the gap Brandon Williams had occupied as back up LB.

It’s cracking post to point out the absolute shit show of the current ownership and how well Ole worked with it.

Unread 12-07-2023, 01:36 PM
wiganste

Some of the football was outrageously good, particularly when he first came in.
The buzz around the ground was quality, the away ends bouncing.

But when the dust settled and the honeymoon period was over, it was clear he wasn't up to it.
Should have been sacked after the Europa League final

Gave some moments that will live in the memory - PSG away being the standout.

Love the man, always will. But never good enough to manage Man Utd

Edit - re: transfers. He identified targets and was let down by the clowns with the money. A shambolic period in our history and hopefully we are past that now

Unread 12-07-2023, 01:38 PM
My Name is Heath

Great guy

Helped cleanse the palate briefly after the LVG/JOSE eras

But…..

He was out of his depth like Alan Partridge interviewing Terry Norton

Ammonia in the boat

He got big things wrong.

Pogba and Maguire leap to mind

With hindsight….we thought he was helping but he was not.

Unread 12-07-2023, 01:41 PM
dunk

Maguire was of course signed as a continuation of the negotiations held the previous summer when Mou allegedly wanted him. The fact he came in and was made captain almost immediately spanked of that being part of the deal tbh. Horrible decisions whoever made them.

Another Ole wanted was Gabriel the LCB at Arsenal for £14m or something club said no..

Unread 12-07-2023, 01:48 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Maguire was of course signed as a continuation of the negotiations held the previous summer when Mou allegedly wanted him. The fact he came in and was made captain almost immediately spanked of that being part of the deal tbh. Horrible decisions whoever made them.

Another Ole wanted was Gabriel the LCB at Arsenal for £14m or something club said no..
He was made captain in January, so not exactly immediately. That one was on Ole I’m afraid.

Unread 12-07-2023, 01:50 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
He was made captain in January, so not exactly immediately. That one was on Ole I’m afraid.
Within 4 months of signing, or first possible opportunity, is pretty £#%&!ing quick tbf. I’m convinced he was sold on the ‘English United Captain’ thing when getting him to turn down City. Don’t know who by..

Unread 12-07-2023, 01:54 PM
Coracao

He was shite. Some serious straw clutching to suggest he did a good job.

First manager since Frank O'Farrell to add zero to the trophy cabinet, and spent a fortune in doing so.

Unread 12-07-2023, 01:58 PM
shenwen

Nice guy but didn't have the character for the job. That interview where he was angry about something (can't remember what is was) and he was almost in tears. Was clear then it was too much for him.

Some awful decision making as well. All managers do that, but Ole near seemed to learn. Playing Maguire when he was clearly still injured
Closed Thread