United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-02-2008, 03:43 AM
Enjoying Insanity

Default I'll admit it, first time I've seen a lot of the Busby Babes on TV (BBC4 with Bobby C)

Including Edwards.

But my God did they look good players, not just physically but technically as well.

We'll never know how good they would have been, but I'm proud to hear that Ferguson has made all the present squad sit down and watch everything about them.

I'm even warming to Bobby Charlton, even through all the ticket accusations and whatnot...

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:36 AM
elephantstone

I watched the programme on MUTV last night about Billy Whelan. £#%&!ing ell he was some striker.

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:38 AM
shyteds

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
I watched the programme on MUTV last night about Billy Whelan. £#%&!ing ell he was some striker.
You were around whne the babes were playing.

Morning

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:39 AM
antonin jablonsky

I'm not sure I've seen Duncan's goal v Germany that they showed last night before. £#%&! me, that man was a £#%&!ing tank wasn't he.

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Scabs

What they could and should have been...

Damn shame.

I didn't catch the programme, so if anyone knows of repeat dates (or links online), I would very much appreciate it.

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabs

Damn shame.

I didn't catch the programme, so if anyone knows of repeat dates (or links online), I would very much appreciate it.
They'll be on the BBCiPlayer.

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:45 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabs

Damn shame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nationonfilm/to..._man_utd.shtml

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:47 AM
mr.sitter

Quote:

Damn shame.

they're repeated on wednesday night, bbc4 i think 10pm

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Scabs

Thank you gentlemen, I shall catch it tomorrow then.

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:55 AM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyteds
You were around whne the babes were playing.

Morning
I wish I wouldnt be on the internet now wishing the day away

Unread 05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

The passion with which Harry Greg spoke about the Babes really struck me. Especially towards the end, when talking about the effect of the crash on all the families. Very moving stuff. So too was the look of sheer joy on Sir Bobbys face when watching his old team mates on film. Thought he spoke very eloquently about that great team.

As for Edwards, he must have been some player if Charlton rates him as the best he ever played with!

Loved the colour footage of the Lads playing in '57 too. I wasn’t aware that we’d played in blue before the ’68 final. And the game at Bilbao in 1957. I've read about that game, but never seen any footage. £#%&! me, the conditions they played in looked terrible.

Two very good shows.

Unread 05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Jack Duckworth

i completely forgot these were on last night. will catch them on weds.

sorry to bring a bit of potential conflict into the thread, but is anyone else of the opinion that the club should have made sure that the survivors and the families of those who died were looked after for life? especially given the money machine that the club is these days.

i read last week that the club stopped inviting sir matt's family to big games/finals a few years ago, which is a disgrace, imo.

Unread 05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Smeggs

watched both. 2nd one with just charlton had some crossover with interviews used in the first one. very sad and moving stuff all round, Harry gregg in particular and the look in bill foulkes eyes after the 1st match post munich.

earlier in the evening i had watched eng v hungary 1953(had only seen goals previosly) on espn and apart form puskas and matthews the pace and general standard suprised me when in comparison to the footage of the babes form the bbc4 programmes. The babes looked sharper an quicker and there was far more pass and move and one touch passing.

Unread 05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
MJ Ramone

It's so difficult to tell with that old footage. It's nearly always on a loop & the camera angles are strange.
But, you can see quite clearly the emphasis on 'give & go' football & movement.

It's a shame there isn't more footage of Duncan Edwards in particular....You'd think there would at least be one full game in the archives.

It's a point often made, but those old footballs were like cannonballs compared with todays + the boots themselves look so clumpy & uncomfortable.

Bobby Charlton always looks a different class to me though (albeit there's a lot more footage to judge from)
His balance, control & shooting looks contemporary...he carries himself like a modern day player.
He's the most under-rated player in so many ways.

As much as I enjoyed those programmes last night you're always left wanting more!..You want to see crystal clear footage of the 4-5 game at Highbury. You want to see more of Taylor, Edwards & co..

The player I like from that team is Eddie Coleman. He looks so cool!...Eddie Cochran hair!

Unread 05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Big Barry Fat Baps

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/spor...by_babes.shtml

Unread 05-02-2008, 01:43 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
The passion with which Harry Greg spoke about the Babes really struck me. Especially towards the end, when talking about the effect of the crash on all the families. Very moving stuff.
Agreed, that bit where he was talking about the players being like lights to their families was really emotive.

Unread 05-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Billy Baroo

i was reading a quote on another thread that bares repeating

the young boy that gregg saved, serbian i believe, met him when he had a grown up

"He was every bit the man i expected him to be" or words to that effect

choked me up

i thought charlton came across very well and you maybe got an insight on the profound effect it had on him for the rest of his life

when he talked about losing edwards as his best friend and hero it was highly emotional. He was almost suggesting that he was afforded his career highlights by his friends sad absence. very touching stuff

Unread 05-02-2008, 02:01 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
i thought charlton came across very well and you maybe got an insight on the profound effect it had on him for the rest of his life

when he talked about losing edwards as his best friend and hero it was highly emotional. He was almost suggesting that he was afforded his career highlights by his friends sad absence. very touching stuff
One thing that's really struck me in the last few days is the guy's mental strength to carry on. Others like Scanlon, Viollet and Morgans came back fit enough to play. Understandably were never the same again.

Quite how Charlton managed to hold those emotions in check and become the player he was is really quite remarkable.

Unread 05-02-2008, 02:03 PM
penguin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
i completely forgot these were on last night. will catch them on weds.

sorry to bring a bit of potential conflict into the thread, but is anyone else of the opinion that the club should have made sure that the survivors and the families of those who died were looked after for life? especially given the money machine that the club is these days.

i read last week that the club stopped inviting sir matt's family to big games/finals a few years ago, which is a disgrace, imo.

If that is true then someone at OT COUGHedwardsCOUGH wanted a slap from the MEC.

Unread 05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Mr Kaboom

I was sent to do the accounts on site at a horrible,shitty textile sweastshop on the edge of the City centre in about '86 or '87.Got in conversation with the book-keeper there who was on what would barely have passed for a minimum wage at that time.Turned out to be Jackie Blanchflower.Cracking bloke he was and we spent a good while talking about football and I don't recall the tiniest resentment of how he was treated which was simply the way things were done in those days in the absence of 'grief counsellors' who spring up everywhere today.
Closed Thread