United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-12-2022, 10:09 AM
windy waffles

Football Red cards at the the world cup

Where are they all?

There has only been two I believe (Wales goalkeeper for his karate kick ) and someone else (can't remember who).

Lenient referees or has the passion gone? Never recall such a 'clean' world cup.

Not even seen a punch up other than the Uruguay players kicking off with the referee which doesn't really count.

Unread 06-12-2022, 10:23 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Where are they all?

There has only been two I believe (Wales goalkeeper for his karate kick ) and someone else (can't remember who).

Lenient referees or has the passion gone? Never recall such a 'clean' world cup.

Not even seen a punch up other than the Uruguay players kicking off with the referee which doesn't really count.
Second yellow for taking his shirt off after scoring a winning goal. Ridiculous. Senegalese player maybe?

Unread 06-12-2022, 10:25 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Second yellow for taking his shirt off after scoring a winning goal. Ridiculous. Senegalese player maybe?
Aboubakar wasn't it? Cameroon.

Unread 06-12-2022, 10:30 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
That's the chap.

Unread 06-12-2022, 10:36 AM
Patty_b

What's the craic with them, do they carry over at all?

Wiki page on red cards in World Cups over the years if anyone is interested.

Just need another two this year to equal 2018's four.

Will have to be some feisty encounters to end the tournament to challenge the earlier 2010's World Cups. 2014 had eight, and 2010 had 17

Unread 06-12-2022, 10:40 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
What's the craic with them, do they carry over at all?

Wiki page on red cards in World Cups over the years if anyone is interested.

Just need another two this year to equal 2018's four.

Will have to be some feisty encounters to end the tournament to challenge the earlier 2010's World Cups. 2014 had eight, and 2010 had 17
Wiped after quarter finals according to the commentary the other day.

Unread 06-12-2022, 10:49 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Wiped after quarter finals according to the commentary the other day.
That makes sense. Was wondering why Aboubakar was a bit relaxed when he got sent off.

Unread 06-12-2022, 11:00 AM
wiganste

No England player has been booked either

Fannies

Unread 06-12-2022, 11:43 AM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Where are they all?

I doubt the refs are being lenient since time wasting is actually being negated. Perhaps the scheduling of this World Cup is a factor. It's not at the end of a long club season that has left a mark physically and mentally. Meaning the players are fresh and less likely to make errors in judgement. Maybe passion is a factor but not necessarily in a bad way. Club football is going to resume imminently so no one wants to get hurt and have their season ruined?

Unread 06-12-2022, 11:46 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I doubt the refs are being lenient since time wasting is actually being negated. Perhaps the scheduling of this World Cup is a factor. It's not at the end of a long club season that has left a mark physically and mentally. Meaning the players are fresh and less likely to make errors in judgement. Maybe passion is a factor but not necessarily in a bad way. Club football is going to resume imminently so no one wants to get hurt and have their season ruined?
I have seen a lot of timewasting but I read that this is also a factor in why added time is so long in most games - if people time waste, it also gets added on.

Unread 06-12-2022, 11:47 AM
Denis Irwell

Didn’t a Ghana player get a 2nd yellow for taking his shirt off?

Unread 06-12-2022, 12:22 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Didn’t a Ghana player get a 2nd yellow for taking his shirt off?
As well as the Cameroon player?

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 06-12-2022, 04:05 PM
Denis Irwell

Closed Thread