United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-12-2022, 11:39 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
I wondered if it was something like that. Presume similar for Ben White? Targeting England players houses while they know they are away.
I can't see why any burglars would be arsed if Sterling was home or not though.

Unread 04-12-2022, 11:42 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
I can't see why any burglars would be arsed if Sterling was home or not though.
He's not going to punch them in the face with his little arms

Unread 04-12-2022, 11:55 PM
Pop

He could mesmerize them with his moves allowing his wife to phone the police.

Unread 04-12-2022, 11:59 PM
Sparky***

France are the current acid test. I just can't see England beating them.

England are a good team but they've not really played a genuine elite contender apart from Italy in the last two tournaments. You can't count Germany in the euros as The current germany side are the weakest i've seen in about 20 years and victories over the likes of Ukraine and Denmark aren't exactly the hallmark of an elite international side.

France are the current world champions for a reason and have arguably the best player in the world currently playing for them. I think England will do what they usually do against the big sides and go into their shell. The formula for the last couple of years has been - we start well in the first 10 mins, take an early lead and then just lose our confidence to play football and end up constantly turning the ball over and defending our 18 yard box. We saw it against Croatia in 2018 and then against Italy last year.

That's no huge disgrace. That's just where we are. Considering the absolute state the national side were in after the disgrace of Euro 2016 I think it's been a hell of a turnaround in the space of 6 years to get to this point. You never know, they may surprise us all and beat France, but based on what i've seen from this manager and this team in the last 18 months i doubt it.

Unread 05-12-2022, 12:03 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Went out of that WC without losing a game, or even looking the worse side in any of them

Strange how that England side gets relatively overlooked, whilst those of (for instance) 1990 and 2006 are overhyped.

Unread 05-12-2022, 12:28 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Went out of that WC without losing a game, or even looking the worse side in any of them

Strange how that England side gets relatively overlooked, whilst those of (for instance) 1990 and 2006 are overhyped.
2006 side definitely isn’t overhyped. The other one was the only England side to reach a semi final in a world cup outside of England until the last one. They were arguably the best side in that game too and only went out on pens so any hype probably justified tbf

Unread 05-12-2022, 12:58 AM
Wayne Jenkins

The other thing to consider is that while England's defence is dogy, Lloris is dodgy as hell (142 caps ). Dropped a dead easy catch today, would not be a surprise to see him drop a clanger on Saturday.

Unread 05-12-2022, 01:14 AM
Mr Kaboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
House broken into, family were inside....

Honestly don’t understand why footballers don’t pay for security, especially when they’re away. £5k a week would be enough to deter any lowlifes after you.

I’d still chuck any @#%&!s taking a family hostage into the nearest woodchipper feet first though.

Unread 05-12-2022, 01:14 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
France are the current acid test. I just can't see England beating them.

England are a good team but they've not really played a genuine elite contender apart from Italy in the last two tournaments. You can't count Germany in the euros as The current germany side are the weakest i've seen in about 20 years and victories over the likes of Ukraine and Denmark aren't exactly the hallmark of an elite international side.

France are the current world champions for a reason and have arguably the best player in the world currently playing for them. I think England will do what they usually do against the big sides and go into their shell. The formula for the last couple of years has been - we start well in the first 10 mins, take an early lead and then just lose our confidence to play football and end up constantly turning the ball over and defending our 18 yard box. We saw it against Croatia in 2018 and then against Italy last year.

That's no huge disgrace. That's just where we are. Considering the absolute state the national side were in after the disgrace of Euro 2016 I think it's been a hell of a turnaround in the space of 6 years to get to this point. You never know, they may surprise us all and beat France, but based on what i've seen from this manager and this team in the last 18 months i doubt it.
Rice / Bellingham v. Tchouaméni / Rabiot one hell of an interesting battle and where this game is won / lost. Should be an excellent game to watch.

Unread 05-12-2022, 07:33 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
Rice / Bellingham v. Tchouaméni / Rabiot one hell of an interesting battle and where this game is won / lost. Should be an excellent game to watch.
True. Both defences have their weaknesses, so pretty evenly matched there. Reckon they have the edge up top though - not by a huge margin, so maybe it all depends on the day. Even then, we have Spain to worry about and I think we’re less suited to overcome them.

Unread 05-12-2022, 07:51 AM
armchair

You have to be impressed that a "shit" side on paper played well and comfortably beat senegal.

We were all "oh no, what a hyper-conservative side!" but they actually played some good stuff. I think that's probably close to the 11 that starts v France. Foden proved his worth v Mount but you could see him playing Mount.

Bellingham elevates any side.

France with Pogba and Benzema wins easy.

Unread 05-12-2022, 08:13 AM
shenwen

He'll go back 5 against France. He's not daft. Stones and Maguire would be rag dolled if the full backs pressed forward. It will be safety first.

Unread 05-12-2022, 10:21 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
was it the french? I never trusted them tbh.
it's more likely they would have sent a special security detail.

Unread 05-12-2022, 11:41 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
You have to be impressed that a "shit" side on paper played well and comfortably beat senegal.

We were all "oh no, what a hyper-conservative side!" but they actually played some good stuff. I think that's probably close to the 11 that starts v France. Foden proved his worth v Mount but you could see him playing Mount.

Bellingham elevates any side.

France with Pogba and Benzema wins easy.

All spot on but for one little chink in the theory:

France with Pogba can lose easily.

It’ll kill him, missing the big stage.

Unread 05-12-2022, 11:45 AM
AK14

I think they’ll beat France

They have so much depth and although Southgate is a bit shit, these players know how how to win knockout games.

They’ll go all the way too imo.

Jordan Henderson will be the most decorated English player of the modern era

Unread 05-12-2022, 11:57 AM
Joe Biden

This WC just like the last one will belong to mbappe. A freak of a footballer. He will destroy England no matter who they play or in what formation.

Unread 05-12-2022, 11:59 AM
Patty_b

Think France will batter England. Before the first goal last night Stones and Maguire were accidents waiting to happen. Mbappe and Giroud will rubbing their hands together thinking about coming up against those two. They should have enough to keep Bellingham a bit quieter than Senegal did as well.

But if England beat France then they have to be favourites.

Unread 05-12-2022, 12:07 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
I think they’ll beat France

They have so much depth and although Southgate is a bit shit, these players know how how to win knockout games.

They’ll go all the way too imo.

Jordan Henderson will be the most decorated English player of the modern era
not really, though.

we've got shit centre backs and no back-up left back. but we have got four half-decent midfielders and four half-decent forwards. so, the strength in depth probably stretches to two subs. in defence, we've got mediocrity in depth.
Closed Thread